Critic's Choice - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Critic's Choice Reviews

½ November 25, 2014
½ January 18, 2014
Worth watching just to see 1963 fashion, decore , hairstyles , womans makeup, motor cars, a road trip back in time
October 28, 2013
i was a bit disappointed in this movie, and initially i expected it to be from a slightly earlier era. early-lucille ball moves are awesome, and she is stunning, and quite a good actress

this movie had a fairly thin plot, but what was most distracting was that lucy clearly was pregnant during filming, although an early scene at home with hope, her and the son, had them discussing why lucy still hadn't gotten pregnant (competition between 'angie' & 'ivy'). in that very scene, it was clear that lucy was wearing early-60's early-term maternity clothes. and for the next couple of scenes, but then suddenly, she's in a sleek dress .... later on she's clearly further advanced and clearly in maternity clothes (all the other women around her are in stylish, fitted dresses with tiny fitted jackets, but she's wearing a huge, swingy maternity ensemble.

maybe if the plot had been more intriguing or maybe if one or both of hope/ball had not phoned it in, lucy's maternal status would not have felt so prominent.
½ December 24, 2012
A interesting film. Ball and Hope's final film together. Had funny moments but overall could have been better.
½ July 15, 2012
Disappointing comedy with Bob Hope and Lucille Ball. It's not horrible, but it's not all that funny either. Probably only worth watching for hardcore Hope and Ball fans.
July 10, 2012
too bad lucy always has 2 play 2nd fiddle cos she can toss em out with the best of them!
½ June 22, 2012
While it falls flat on it's face more often than not, it has it's charms. The plot gives itself away, all the physical comedy gags are broad and bland, the dialogue is mostly laughable and very 60s. But Hope and Ball have electric chemistry, their scenes make this a must-see, even if you only see it once.
April 25, 2011
I loved watching Lucille Ball with Bob Hope! It was a great movie.
½ January 22, 2011
Despite making four films together, Ball and Hope have absolutely no chemistry in this one. Yet when the material is this sophisticated and they are so appealing separately, it hardly matters.
November 26, 2010
The story is unoriginal, but it has a good cast, and it has some funny moments. Overall it's just okay.
September 21, 2010
Very entertaining. I love Lucille Ball and Bob Hope had some good funny moments.
February 15, 2010
This comedy is a bit strained, and the screenplay just doesn't quite work, it comes off as very rehearsed and not very natural. Bob Hope and Lucille Ball always seem like they are reading their lines, not acting. They still do try, it's not them, it's the script. Nicely produced.
September 13, 2009
I didn't really care for this. I probably wouldn't watch again.
February 27, 2009
Bob Hope and Lucille Ball
October 31, 2008
Mostly a series of cameos. A few sporadic laughs. Worth watching for fans of Hope and Ball, others might be bored.
½ October 17, 2008
The plot was fairly good, but i am not a fan of the filming of this time period and I really disliked her husband in this film...
July 1, 2007
[size=2]This movie is not going to knock anyone?s socks off. I was enjoyable for the most part. A light comedy that was first a Broadway Show that made it to the big screen.

You can tell it was most likely very good on the Broadway Stage, but it just missed a little for me.

One thing that sticks in my mind is Parker Ballentine (Bob Hope) has a son John from a previous marriage. Early in the movie at breakfast he (the son John) says to Angela Ballentine (Lucille Ball) The reason you can?t have any children is psychosomatic. His friend told him that because, well his father already had a child John is proof of that and Angela well she has wide hips so there is no visible reason she could not have children. That Angela is just afraid that she and his father would not produce as good looking child as John since his mother is an actress and very beautiful. Where Angela is just a housewife and not all that good looking.

This seemed like a lot to come from a child that looked about to be eight or ten years of age. Throughout the movie Parker his father, Angela his step mother and I can?t remember his mother?s name never really acted much like a parent. When his mother does show up in the movie you think who is this person and how could a mother care so little for her child?

Oh well if I was to make this movie at the time I think the part of John could had worked much better as just a neighbor played by Tony Randell. He could had said most of the same lines and they would not had felt that out of place.

So it was an enjoyable movie but nothing groundbreaking. If you like Bob Hope or Lucille Ball you will find the movie entertaining and well that is what you want a movie to be right.

NOTE: You can find this movie on DVD and in a box set of Lucille Ball Movies called ?Lucille Ball Film Collection?.

[/size]