Cromwell - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Cromwell Reviews

½ May 6, 2008
Liberal with the facts, but a good capture of mood and character, this isn't a bad Civil War film, but nor is it great. Guinness is a believable Charles I, whilst Richard Harris hams up the old Roundhead himself. The battles are laughable, though.
½ April 23, 2008
I had to watch this movie in Social Studies while we learned about the Civil War. It was interesting, though Cromwell could be kind of annoying and spasstic about everything. I almost ended up feeling sorry for Charles because of his reserved character >_< I thought it was okay, but it was kind of boring. During the part when Cromwell was hysterically laughing himself into madness, this kid in my class said "He's growing something else in his garden..." (In otherwords, it was basically questioning his abuse in home-grown drugs, if that makes any sense)
April 9, 2008
A bit long and not much fun, but interesting and well-performed.
March 21, 2008
Must be on drugs to watch
½ March 19, 2008
Pretty good for the most part. Well shot and the battle scenes are great. Performances by Richard Harris and Alec Guiness are very good even though I thought Richard Harris went a little overboard at times, especially at the end. Other than that, a good film and worth checking out.
March 8, 2008
This is admittedly a poor movie in my eyes and several character representations are awful, but Alec's portrayal of Charles I won my heart and it remains one of the few films made on the English Civil War.
March 4, 2008
Alec Guiness and Richard Harris make this memorable film.
February 5, 2008
So boring. Just words, nothing exciting happens, a waste of time.
½ January 17, 2008
Another old style Hollywood classic. Historically it is almost total rubbish, but the spirit of the central characters is wonderfully captured. Guinness and Harris give perhaps their most undeservedly overlooked performances. Harris in particular seems to have shouted himself hoarse in half of the scenes, and perfectly captures the preacher quality of Cromwell's politics. Guinness' Charles has a serene confidence that slowly reveals itself to be a pathological arrogance - his slips into a Scottish accent in anger are very well judged. With well filmed battle scenes and a rip roaring pace this film is a rewarding forgotten classic, of a type that isn't made any more.
½ December 28, 2007
Holy crap this movie. I mean, holy crap.
December 28, 2007
May have been more fast paced, but Richard Harris and Alec Guinness bring so much power to this film.
December 27, 2007
Really good historical drama, not everyone's cup of tea I imagine, but I think it's really good, and Richard Harris is excellent.
½ December 24, 2007
We watched this in history class a few weeks ago.While I respect Alec Guiness and a good number of the actors in this film, I just found this movie boring. There was nothing about it that stood out.
December 22, 2007
Richard Harris and Alec Guinness are superb in this classic movie. Great battle scenes
December 18, 2007
loved this since i was a kid after watchin it with my dad. Love Richard Harris and Alec Guiness in this.
December 16, 2007
Caught this at the weekend. One of those big historical films that Britain used to make. Harris is excellent and really gets his teeth into the role. Great to see him acting in a 'class' project (sadly he will mostly be remembered by most young people now as an old wizard!). Guiness is also brilliant as Charles and in fact the film suffers once his character is executed. Yes the film is overlong and is probably not historically accurate but they don't make them like this anymore. Shame.
½ December 15, 2007
The battle scenes are wonderful but this film had so much more potential. Flawless performance from Guinness but they did not pay enough attention to the complexities of Cromwell's character, which would have resulted in a much more fruitful film. The ending is also far too abrupt. If you want a better period piece I suggest Waterloo (1970) and the wonderful Barry Lyndon (1975).
½ December 15, 2007
Doesn't quite get the details right, but Cromwell's cold fury and the corruption he railed against is spot on. Richard Harris puts in a powerfull performance as the orignal OC.
½ December 15, 2007
Richard Harris excellent and Alec Guinness utterly brilliant in this historically rather suspect film. It looks great though it's a bit ludicrous having Cromwell asking Charles to introduce 'democracy' before the war started - Cromwell was insignificant at that time and in any case never embraced such a radical concept -remember the levellers. Loved the republic - pity that the Lord Protectorate immediately became a standard monarchy with the son, Richard, inheriting.
½ December 14, 2007
Decent civil war film with a splendid cast - Harris and Guinness in particular. Historical inaccuracy creeps in (shock!) - but only really to big up the title character.