Cromwell - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Cromwell Reviews

½ November 30, 2007
Although the film ultimately stumbles with a finale that is more of a petering out than a conclusion, Cromwell captivates much more than might be expected. Richard Harris and Alec Guinness give powerhouse performances.
½ November 23, 2007
A tour de force by Richard Harris. Awesome battles and incredible political intrigue.
November 16, 2007
Cromwell once said 'paint me warts and all', advice which the makers of this film singularly failed to follow. However despite the film's bias towards the Parlimentarians (the Royalists it has to be said are a difficult bunch to like) and the historical liberties it takes, especially in Cromwell's status within the Parliamentarian army, this is the best depiction of the English Civil War. By the Sword Divided is too earnest in its attempt to be evenly balanced and Blackadder: The Cavalier Years was an all too brief interlude. Richard Harris' Cromwell, is the highlight of his acting career as is Alec Guinness' startingly portrayal of Charles I (the resemblance between the two is uncanny). Also watch for an appearance of a young Timothy Dalton as Prince Rupert (a man who lacked even more synapse connections than Charles).
November 10, 2007
Not a brilliant film, historically ropey, utterly salvaged by Alec Guiness' portrayal of Charles I. The best and most accurate performance of a historical character in film history, bar none.
November 9, 2007
An intelligent, well-produced late entry in the 60s historical spectacle cycle, most notable for the two central performances. While the political sympathy of the filmmakers is clearly on the side of the Roundheads, the film is also notable for depicting Charles I as a very sympathetic, human character, while Cromwell is occasionally depicted as an intolerant fanatic. As a result, the conflict is more subtle than might be expected.
October 25, 2007
I love this movie, and this is one of the reasons that I became a history major!
October 14, 2007
historical films are never accurate; they'd be boring....I love Richard Harris' portrayal...if only Cromwell were like this in real . Maypole banner !!! Great action and yes, Charles the First did talk Scots ..he was A Dunfermline boy !!!
October 12, 2007
Superb - if your leaning is towards the Parliamentarians - bad news for any Royalists. I really love this film. In my all-time best list - lots of stirring speeches and terrific acting. His importance cannot be underestimated in English history, like him or loathe him although the baby-burning allegations made in Ireland are generally considered wartime propoganda!

A must-see film.
½ October 8, 2007
Although Cromwell┬┤s importance during the first stage of the English Civil War, I consider that this is really a very good movie.
September 28, 2007
I have read a some critic reviews that say this was the worst movie that Richard Harris and Alec Guiness ever did. I disagree with that. This movie is great.
½ September 24, 2007
Luv richard harris. Mad irish bastard
September 16, 2007
Vintage performances from Richard Harris and Alec Guiness. Marvellous historical drama. Great costumes . Principles. Governance and more. Recommended.
August 26, 2007
If you guys like good speeches, watch this movie. It's my dad's absolute favorite. And he doesn't watch many movies.
August 18, 2007
A movie on the great historical figure Oliver Cromwell (Lord Protector of England) and the political and religious struggles of 17th century England.
July 31, 2007
Amazing acting, though historically inaccurate.
½ July 28, 2007
boring but damn well acted charls the 1st is like a re encarnation of the actual charles the first
July 21, 2007
Alec Guinness is brilliant as the monarch who never relinquishes his claim as having a divine right to rule, however the career defining performance comes from Richard Harris as reforming Cromwell, and although historians might question its accuracy it is still a classic piece of cinema.
July 21, 2007
Great cast! Something didn't quite work though
½ July 10, 2007
Like most films, inaccurate, but there are referances, for example, some famous speeches in parliament. However, Alex Guiness playing Charles would the way I would of picture this historic character, from my studies of the three kingdom system on this period it was acted perfectly. I do fine it amazing that Richard Harris one of the Hellrasiers of the drinking world manage to successfully play one of the most puritan englishman in this period.