Cromwell - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Cromwell Reviews

November 15, 2016
Great way to discover British history.
July 9, 2016
Cromwell is an excellent film. It is about Oliver Cromwell who leads a civil war to install Parliament as the ultimate ruler of England. Richard Harris and Alec Guinness give awesome performances. The screenplay is good but a little slow in places. Ken Hughes did a great job directing this movie. I enjoyed watching this motion picture because of the drama and history. Cromwell is a must see.
½ May 15, 2016
Good retelling of the story with great actors and a fun peek at those who would be famous later.
½ April 4, 2016
A grand spectacular. How the great, difinitive events of history should be portrayed, if only it was a difinitively accurate portrayal.
Richard Harris, born a Catholic, in a superb performance as probably one of the most Anti-Catholic characters in English history.
Alec Guinness is superb as his royal antithesis, Charles I.
Both actors portray their respective parts with more sympathy than the real individuals attracted at the time or since. A testament to the deserved reputations of each actor.
Typically for a "historically accurate" movie it suffers from a broad range of historical inaccuracies. Cromwell's role in the causes of the outbreak of the war is seriously exaggerated. For a start he was not in regular meetings with Charles, he only met him once and that was on the Ilse of Wight. Cromwell did not enter Oxford to arrest the king. Neither was he at the Battle of Edgehill. Charles surrendered to the Scots and was handed over to the English, to Cornel Joyce's troops.
Oliver Junior did not die at Naseby 1645, he died of smallpox in 1644.
Historical accuracy sucks, but it is a good film.
January 20, 2016
A great film made greater by the two leads.
December 28, 2015
Two tour de force performances make this a top historical epic. Harris is great, Guinness is an uncanny Charles I, and the film itself makes the Civil War (more or less) easily understandable.
April 18, 2014
Fascinating, even for an older film. Also fun to see Guinness in a role besides Obi-Wan.
February 12, 2014
Featuring riveting battle sequences, excellent cinematography, and good pacing, Cromwell is a highly entertaining and engaging historical drama with fantastic performances, particularly Alec Guinness, who is absolutely superb as Charles I.
September 4, 2013
Good acting, but ultimately a story that's only supporting factor in bringing it to the screen is for home video release and constant viewing in Social Studies classrooms.
January 15, 2013
great cast brings this bio-pic 2 life
January 4, 2013
Some impressive acting but its only loosely based on history. Cromwell is placed centre stage when he was merely leading a troop of cavalry, The battle of Edge Hill is not shown as the indecisive engagement that it was, and the representation of the battle of Naseby is a complete fantasy. Which is perhaps a sad reflection of the lack of public awafeness of its own history. This was an amazing and cruciall time in British history that does not benefit by being fantasised.
December 30, 2012
I have read a some critic reviews that say this was the worst movie that Richard Harris and Alec Guiness ever did. I disagree with that. This movie is great.
½ December 20, 2012
I loved it but don't want it on DVD, it was a good film, Richard Harris and Alec Guinesss played great characters, Richard Harris and Alec Guinness played good parts, I thought it was a good film
December 11, 2012
Like Spartacus it has some of the best acting ever on film. The monologues by Cromwell gives you the chills.
November 21, 2012
Oliver Cromwell (Richard Harris) is a courageous and God-fearing country squire, magistrate and former member of Parliament. King Charles I's (Alec Guinness) policies, including the enclosing of common land for the use of wealthy landowners and the introduction of "Popish" and "Romish" rituals into the Church of England, have become increasingly annoying to many, including Cromwell. In fact Charles regards himself as a devout Anglican, permitting his French Queen to practise Roman Catholicism in private but forbidding her to bring up the young Prince of Wales in that faith. Cromwell plans to take his family to the New World, but, on the eve of their departure, he is persuaded by his friends to stay and resume a role in politics. Charles has summoned Parliament for the first time in eleven years, as he needs money in order to fight wars against the Scots and the Irish. Although he reluctantly agrees to execute his hated adviser the Earl of Strafford, the Parliament of England will still not grant him his requests unless he agrees to reforms that could lead to a constitutional monarchy. Committed to the divine right of kings, and under pressure from his queen to stand firm, Charles refuses. When he attempts to arrest five members of Parliament, war breaks out in England itself, Parliament against the king, both sides convinced that God is on their side. When the Parliamentary forces in which Cromwell is a cavalry officer proved ineffective, he sets up the New Model Army and soon turns the tide against the king. Charles goes so far as to call on help from Catholic nations, which disgusts his Protestant supporters. He is finally defeated but, a brave man in his own way, he still refuses to give in to the demands of Cromwell and his associates for a system of government in which Parliament will have as much say in the running of the country as the king. Cromwell-who has had to maintain discipline in the highly politicised New Model Army by hanging a ringleader of an incipient mutiny-later hears from Sir Edward Hyde, the king's once-loyal adviser, that Charles has secretly been raising a Catholic army to resume the war against Parliament. He and his supporters thus have Charles put on trial for treason. Charles, found guilty and sentenced to death, faces execution bravely and even his most ardent critics are moved by his dignity. There is little celebration or satisfaction over his death, even on Cromwell's part. However, Parliament soon proves itself just as useless in governing the country and, like the late king, Cromwell is forced to undertake a coup d'etat. But where Charles failed, Cromwell succeeds: his troops remove the MPs from the House of Commons, leaving Cromwell sitting symbolically alone in the Chamber as virtual dictator.

Cromwell is based on the life of Oliver Cromwell who led the Parliamentary forces during the English Civil War and, as Lord Protector, ruled Great Britain and Ireland in the 1650s. When I got hold of this dvd, which I haven´t seen before, but red about, I knew it would be good as Richard Harris and Alec Guinness has the leading roles. This is a kind of classic epic and historical drama with big battles, lavish
costumes, great sets, great acting and a great in depth study of history from all sorts of angles. I have always liked Richard Harris, an actor with massive presence and intensity. Something we see in "Cromwell" from scene one. The same goes for the great Alec Guinness. I truly enjoyed "Cromwell"
and I was pleased to get an even stronger knowledge of the English Civilwar, Oliver Cromwell, The New Model Army and The Roundheads.
½ June 15, 2012
Cromwell is a movie that was shown in my socials studies class about Oliver Cromwell the guy that was part of the english court system. He is also the man responsible for taking down King Charles I and getting him guilotined. Alec Guiness does a fine job as Charles. Its accurate enough to earn the attention of the battle scenes which accurately show Charles winning a few at first then the rebelion winning more. But my favorite scene in the movie is the courtroom scene of the trail of King Charles I. Greatly made scene. But Cromwell is too underwhelming to get a higher rating.

69/100 C+
April 13, 2012
I felt like most of the film was spent shouting and soliloquizing. Cromwell shouted so much, that by the end of the film he was hoarse. Henrietta-Maria was portrayed as a manipulative harpy, which I did not like, though I appreciated the goodbye kiss between her and Charles. Charles himself, portrayed by Alec Guinness, I thought was pretty good, though completely led by his wife and advisers (I don't know how close that is to reality). They also crammed a lot of events into 2 hours, so Cromwell seemed unable to hold one opinion for longer than 5 minutes. There were more battles than I wanted to see, and the politics weren't very coherent. The score, or what there was of it, was cheesy. I wasn't always sure which battle and which year we were watching. It greatly benefited from having my dad's running commentary throughout the whole thing. This time I was able to point out a few tidbits of my own.
½ January 8, 2012
An historic epic with performances from Harris and Guinness that are so exhilarating, I am prepared to overlook the wide array of factual inaccuracies.
September 16, 2011
No está mal. Es la típica peli basada fielmente en hechos históricos. Como siempre los tejemanejes de la monarquía británica dan para películas más que interesantes.
July 4, 2011
Good acting, but ultimately it is a story that's only supporting reason to see it brought to a screen is for home video release and constant viewing in Social Studies classrooms.