The Crossing Guard - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Crossing Guard Reviews

½ March 20, 2014
What a powerful film! Nicholson is amazing and the rest of the cast is super also. Great story and acting at it's best. Sean Penn is a great director. See this film if you missed it. It is a permanent addition to my library. Ken K.
½ February 2, 2014
Mediocre outcome from someone as talented as Sean Pean. The ending was dramatic, and Jack Nicholson's performance always stellar, but this tale of a man coming undone after the loss of a child was so contrived and predictable. Hopefully Pean's later works show a little more hubris.
½ January 15, 2014
Solid acting hindered by a lame duck story and awkward directing by Sean Penn. It moves very, very slowly and delivers very, very little.
½ December 28, 2013
The editing is absolutely atrocious. There are way too many unnecessary slow motion sequences that highlight something as spectacular as a person walking. The dialogue in some of the scenes is incredibly tedious and awkward. A huge waste of talent and casting. Avoid this movie !
August 12, 2013
Best thing about this movie was Bruce Springsteen singing at the beginning of it! :/
July 17, 2013
I'm gonna give you a laugh, kid

Freddie Gale is a jeweler that has sworn to get revenge on the drunk driver that killed his daughter. John Booth is released from prison after serving a lengthy sentence for killing a little girl while drunk driving. John suffers from depression as he tries to put his life back together. When John and Freddie's lives cross paths, their worlds collide which may lead to another fatality.

"It only hurts the first time."
"I know."

Sean Penn, director of The Indian Runner, The Pledge, September 11, Into the Wild, and the upcoming The Comedian, delivers The Crossing Guard. The storyline for this picture, written by Penn, was interesting and contained dynamic characters. The cast delivers awesome performances and includes Jack Nicholson, David Morse, Anjelica Houston, Robin Wright, and John Savage.

"Your guilt is a little too much competition for me. You should let me know when you want to live."

I am a huge Jack Nicholson fan and have been ashamed that I had never seen this picture. This wasn't as epic feeling as I had hoped. This was about as good as Chinatown, in my opinion. Jack Nicholson was his usual compelling self; and overall, this is a must see picture but far from a must own DVD.

"I ride the bus all day long."

Grade: B+
½ June 8, 2013
Easily Jack Nicholson's most underrated performance in my opinion. A heartbreaking portrait of loss/revenge and guilt/redemption.
April 7, 2013
Another movie with Jack Nicholson as an alcoholic...
½ March 21, 2013
very intense and great /sad story. the acting from the leads pulls you in and you are caught up in the character's lives. you especially feel for jack nicholson's character- the heartache/edginess just seething from him.
January 28, 2013
This started OK, and the plot synopsis had me intrigued, but about 30 mins into it things start going wrong. Some scenes are just...weird. Not good weird. It's hard to explain.
January 26, 2013
this is a worst JN movie. story is so hard to swallow. worthless to watch.
January 13, 2013
If not for Jack Nicholson, I would have called this one really bad. Jack, like Denzel has a way of making a bad movie seem OK.

The supporting characters (Robin Wright) are wasted with little development. I don't understand if Jack's character is a pimp, jeweler, a guy with lots of money, or what. You never really see what he's all about. The direction is quite messy.
½ December 31, 2012
Very touching movie and a typically great performance by Jack Nicholson.
December 25, 2012
This could have been shorter. It was tense. Strong performances. Liked it did not love it.
November 15, 2012
Apesar de ser longo demais e melodram├ítico em alguns momentos, "Acerto Final" ganha pontos gra├žas aos seus complexos personagens.
½ October 6, 2012
It is very ironic that Sean Penn chose to dedicate this film to Charles Bukowski..
October 4, 2012
Second film Sean Penn directed and I thought it was excellent, an unsparing drama filled with tension from start to the last scene. Nicholson was fine, playing the broken man he does so well. Robin Penn was great, too, in a cameo role she managed to invest with great emotion. As was Angelica Huston, playing Nicholson's ex-wife. David Morse was Nicholson's equal, playing the man haunted by guilt equal to Nicholson's character's rage with great restaint. A tiny bit of a Hollywood ending kept it one star below 5 for me.
½ September 22, 2012
Some developments read suspiciously like a writer's device, usually in awkward moments where Penn himself seems to be fishing for truth and meaning along with his characters. Jack has never played such a vulnerable, broken man as he does with shocking power in this ironic circle of tragedy in drowning one's sorrows with drinking to excess. Its ambition bloats it, but it's still meaningful, surprising and psychologically mosaic, and reminiscent of other films directed by experienced film actors where they extract far more layers, subtext and emotional depth than most dramas.
½ September 13, 2012
good movie jack is the best
½ September 13, 2012
Sean Penn is an awesome filmmaker. Jack Nicholson & David Morse are awesome actors. Great movie.