Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon Reviews

February 28, 2016
Was this a good movie? Sure. It's a Hollywood blockbuster version of a Chinese movie. There are tons of these if you bothered to watch any of the older ones. There's really nothing new or original about this movie.
February 21, 2016
love it!! Worried the new one will be too westernized in plot and filming technique
February 8, 2016
I saw this movie when it first came out at the young age of 11. I just didn't understand the artistry and how truly beautiful this film is. Director Ang Lee brings about one of the most successful martial arts films ever released. The movie is about a young woman named Jen Yu (Ziyi Zhang) the governors daughter who is about to be married to another powerful political ally. She has a different side to her though and is really a martial artist waiting in wait to reveal herself. She plans on stealing an Ancient Sword called the Green Destiny which has just been given to the leader of the area Jen is in by the legendary warrior Li Mu Bai (Chow Yun Fat). Li Mu Bai is giving up the warrior life style to become a monk after having a dream that he cannot shake away. Yu Shu Lien (Michelle Yeoh) is a fellow warrior who has feelings for Li Mu Bai, but because of their life styles they can never act upon them. When Jen Yu steals the sword its up to Li Mu Bai and Yu Shu Lien to get the Green Destiny back and also to uncover a much bigger plot. I know this all sounds confusing as hell, but the movie actually has a pretty good pace. It sets up the story and even has a very nice back story to Jen Yu that explains a bit more about her. The martial arts in this film are fantastic. It has a lot of fantasy elements to it (people are damn near flying at times), but it just comes fast and quick with a lot of entertainment. I would say overall because this was shot in a specific style a lot of the meaning behind things are lost to us Western viewers. The ending may blow a lot of people's minds because it is not what you would expect after the climax of the film. The film came out 16 years ago, so some CGI parts (which are few since the movie used CGI sparingly) look very dated. Overall, a great film thats shot well and it's really a movie I have a better appreciation for now. If you've never seen it check it out!
January 23, 2016
I must learn the ways of karate!
January 17, 2016
In ever sense of the word, a masterpiece.
January 13, 2016
It's an interesting movie with impressive aesthetics, but some of the special effects involving jumps are annoying and key parts of the storyline are painfully predictable.
½ December 31, 2015
Enthralling story which perfectly captures the struggle for autonomy and authentic existence any of us face.
½ December 7, 2015
An exhilarating, beautifully photographed and acted fairy tale and action flick
November 22, 2015
Amazing direction from Ang Lee, with astonishing action sequences and a nice story
½ August 31, 2015
Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon finds itself dragging at times, notably in the second act, but beautiful direction and breathtaking fight scenes more than make up for its shortcomings.
August 6, 2015
Best asian martial arts film ever made
August 2, 2015
6/5. Even after 15 years, few other films have come close this perfection of action, romance, and tragedy
½ July 31, 2015
Beautifully shot with effective martial arts action, Ang Lee's Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon is an astonishing adventure of bravery and love!
½ July 29, 2015
If I were 9 yeas old, probably I would like this movie a lot. Unfortunately, I am 56, and this is one of the most stupid things I have seen in years.
The story is childish, the fighting ridiculous, there are dozen, if not hundreds, of martial arts movies around with the same kind of silly stuff for kids.
This is a mix of martial arts, western, flying super heroes. But if I wanted a western, I would chose Sergio Leone or Sam Peckinpah, if I wanted flying super heroes, I would go to see Superman or Spiderman, and if I wanted martial arts, I can't remember any title, but any Bruce Lee movie is way better than this crap, and none of the very few I have seen, despite stupid, is as stupid as this one.
Actually, I was suggested to see this movie mostly because of "the beautiful pictures and the scenery". Here too, there are some nice landscape, but, apart they look a lot as photo-shopped, I have seen nothing that I had not already seen in some National Geographic or BBC documentary (without digital post processing), or Sergio Leone western movie (also, in natural light and no photo shop).
The fighting scenes are not just ridiculous and silly to the extreme, they are BORING: the worst being the one on top of trees. It reminded me some beautiful documentary I had seen about Gorillas in Congo: that was beautiful, this is childishly ridiculous.
I can not understand how this idiotic thing got so many prizes, end entusiastic criticism, the only answer I can give myself, it was for some political reason.
Watch this with your kids, they will appreciate.
For me, a total waste of my time.
July 27, 2015
Deft storytelling and gorgeous scenery only add to this period piece filled with amazing fight scenes and surprisingly powerful melodrama.
July 11, 2015
10 out of 10:

Amazing visuals, cool action and parkour, and good drama makes this probably the best foreign film I've seen.
July 8, 2015
Words are not enough for me to express how much I adore this film - a deeply poetic, romantic and compelling experience that has a fantastic cast, a wonderful dialogue, one hell of a great direction and some of the most amazing martial arts scenes I have ever seen in a movie.
July 4, 2015
"Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" is one of the most highly revered foreign films of all time. Its 97% on Rotten Tomatoes speaks volumes but that is nothing compared to its ten Oscar nominations including wins for Best Foreign Film, Art Direction, Score, and Cinematography. These nominations are justified through its epic proportions and stunningly beautiful martial arts sequences. This film went toe-to-toe with "Gladiator" and, while "Gladiator" took home Best Picture, you can't help but note that the scenery and artistry of "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" is on the same level (if not higher). I don't make these comparisons lightly, as I consider "Gladiator" to be one of the finest films of all time and Hans Zimmer's beautiful scoring of the epic to be perfection. Not that there is anything wrong with Tan Dun's incredible ethnic score, but I do have an issue with it film winning in this particular category. This "Bruce Lee meets The Matrix" martial arts film is unlike anything that you have ever seen. The strong combined performance of leads Chow Yun-fat, Michelle Yeoh, and Zhang Ziyi energize the plot and the martial arts skills of the latter two are a true spectacle. These women can really fight! I found myself awestruck at the speed and agility of these women, especially once it was combined with Matrix-like special effects. The fight sequences are reason enough to watch this film and the gripping story is an added bonus. Even though the editors made Ziyi's flashback too large of a percentage of this film, she expertly shows every moment of her transformation from innocent aristocrat to deceitful criminal. I also enjoyed the development of the other characters and the unexpected direction of the story. This is the complete package when you combine its stunning locations to its beautiful soundtrack and the very cool Wudang martial arts sequences. This is a film that can be enjoyed by everyone regardless of your interest in/tolerance for foreign films. From "Sense and Sensibility" to "Life of Pi" to "Brokeback Mountain," director Ang Lee always delivers a critically acclaimed product but even amongst his masterpieces, few can compare to "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon."
July 4, 2015
Highly entertaining, good love story movie !
July 3, 2015
I love the movie with the subtitles better than dubbed in English better.