Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon: Sword of Destiny Reviews

• Feb 07, 2021

A disappointment This action is a pointless sequel but it's not terrible

A disappointment This action is a pointless sequel but it's not terrible

• Feb 05, 2021

I'm glad it's nothing like it's predecessor. Who wants the same thing twice ? Instead, it's more like the wuxia movies of old, where strangers, with their unique skills, fight to defeat evil forces out of a sense of righteousness. As usual, Donnie Yen and Michelle Yeoh shine like the mega stars they are - after all, they're the real deal kung-fu masters. Harry Shum Jr surprisingly, breaks out of his Glee fame, and adds a much needed cheek to the otherwise very serious tone of the movie. A must-see for all wuxia fans.

• Jan 14, 2021

It tries to expand on the lore of its predecessor, but it fails miserably and ends up being a forgettable, lazy and unnecessary sequel that doesn't live up to the original's reputation because of its formulaic and unoriginal script, flat characters, unremarkable martial arts scenes filled with excessive slow-motion and underwhelming CGI, unfunny comic relief, messy tone, and a lack of authenticity and respect to the Chinese culture.

• Dec 27, 2020

What a crying shame. To go to all the trouble to make a sequel to what was seriously one of the best films of this genre of all time, only to bugger it up so monumentally. I must have rewatched the fight scenes from the original Crouching Possum, Hidden Wombat 50 times or more, particularly the one with Michelle Yeoh and Zhang Ziyi. These fight scenes are mechanical and boring. There's nothing particularly enjoyable here at all. They even CHANGED the SWORD... The hilt is different. WTF. So in summary: No real story no drama at all no good fight scenes Almost no character depth. Michelle Yeoh did any heavy lifting at all that was managed for this blight on our culture.

• Aug 24, 2020

Nice cinematography and Natasha Liu Bordizzo as Snow Vase was a fresh new face. But the original Academy Award version in 2000 feat. Zhang Ziyi was sooo much better!

• Jun 20, 2020

Amazing fight choreography and beautiful scenery...this alone is worth watching. I also enjoyed the theme of the "iron way" and the mystery behind some of the characters past history. I must admit that I enjoyed watched the first movie more because the concept was fresh and i felt a stronger connection to the original cast of characters...in comparison, this sequel did not develop the various characters as strongly but it does a descent job continuing the storyline of the first movie. This is a must watch for me individuals who enjoy watching martial arts film. It's unfortunate to see many people Amazing fight choreography, good storyline from current plot and continuation from 1st movie. I have a 4 star rating instead of 5 stars because I found it a bit of a stretch to incorporate Donnie Yen's character as one of the men that Michelle Yeow also loved & had to choose between. Do yourself a favour and ignore other reviews...just go watch this movie and enjoy it for what it is!

• May 27, 2020

Martial arts master Yu Shu Lien assembles a band of fighters to protect a legendary sword from a warlord and his clan. It fails terribly as the sequel to such a praised film as the first one. Choreography was good but it could have been better. The script is really disappointing, with a lot of clichés and not enough to get remotely attached in the characters.

• Apr 21, 2020

Taking place 18 years after Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (2000) this unnecessary sequel stumbles in just about every way possible. We follow Yu Shu Lien (Michelle Yeoh) as she is traveling to Peking where the sword of her love Li Mu Bai (Chow Yun Fat who isn't in this movie) resides. She's attacked during this time, but saved by a mysterious warrior. Meanwhile the evil ruler Hades Dai (Jason Scott Lee) is seeking the sword (named the Green Destiny) because a blind sorceress (Eugenia Yuan) has fortold that his destiny lies with the Green Destiny and that if he doesn't have it he will never truly rule. Hades sends a young man named Wei Fang (Harry Shum Jr) to retrieve the sword, but during his attack he is stopped by a young lady named Snow Vase (Natasha Liu Bordizzo). Snow Vase has traveled to Peking to seek out Yu Shu Lien in order to learn her fighting skills from her. Also meanwhile (can you tell this movie is all over the god damn place?) The mysterious warrior that saved Yu Shu Lien reveals himself to be Silent Wolf (Donnie Yen). Silent Wolf hears about Hades plan to get the Green Destiny, so Silent Wolf ends up getting a band of warriors together to attack him first. I'm gonna stop right here because going back and reading this the plots all over the place. Don't get me wrong it could have worked, but they just don't spend enough time on any one character. We get too many subplots going on. Wei Fang and Snow Vase have a connection, but when you figure it out it's kinda like...that's it? Then Yu Shu Lien and Silent Wolf have a connection, but it's never believable enough for me because it's just a lot of mentions. Then finally as much as it was cool to see Jason Scott Lee in something he's just a typical bad dude that we never learn much about either. This film is a travesty in quality compared to the original. It's very apparent they are shooting on sets for a majority of the scenes. There's even a lot of CG at times and it looks terrible. It looks like a straight to DVD movie and it pretty much is. The movie was also shot in English which blows my mind since the previous film was traditional Mandarin. I will say I did enjoy Donnie Yen in this movie. I liked the fight sequences most of the time it's still very fun to see the over the top action. Unfortunately, this movie is just one of those films that you only watch for the fight scenes and ignore everything else that is happening. As a fan of the first one I would say this is a skip, but if you really have to check it out on Netflix as it's exclusively streaming on there.

• Dec 18, 2019

You can feel Ang Lee's absence but be comforted by Donnie Yen & Michelle Yeoh's presence. This pair has a long history of good films together, and this is one of them.

• Dec 02, 2019

The Iron way ... is always the right way, the flying, loving, fighting, drinking, eating, surprising the Donnie Yen way. I've always enjoyed Kung - Fu movies and this one isn't a disappointment at all... and it's in English also. It's based off the last book of the crouching tiger series (which I have never read) if the movie is this interesting about a sword I'm sure the books are even better!!