Croupier - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Croupier Reviews

January 26, 2017
This neo-noir movie is very powerful and reveals well the cards through out its very solid plot, with a nice bluff at the end. Clive Owen's breakthrough and great performance. Croupier is a movie to be watch and re-watched several times. Definitely a must see.
December 20, 2015
El tiene el poder para que pierdas
½ November 29, 2015
Makes you wonder how the Bond franchise would have turned out it they had gone the Clive Owen route instead of choosing Daniel Craig. Very good, if this movie was an indicator.
½ November 12, 2015
I suspect that all degenerate gamblers like myself would like this. It's tense and engaging and clever. I watched this in 2015, so I had to let myself get into the music and cinematography. For a movie released in 2000, it almost looked like it was from the late 70's/early 80's. Owen's confident brooding was perfect for the character.
Robert B.
September 28, 2015
Croupier is an excellent British noir film. Clive Owen is great in the lead role and proves that voice over can work very well (hard to imagine the film without it). The film is somewhere between a thriller and a drama. It is very low-key and very different from British crime/gangster films. Croupier watches more like a mystery, keeping the viewer in wonder as to how it is going to turn out. Overall, the film is very well put together and a solid recommendation.
½ August 25, 2015
Riveting and mysterious, although it somewhat loses it's way in the end with an 'explain-it-away' ending.
August 18, 2015
As if J.D. Salinger wrote a noir film. You can see why people wanted Clive Owen to be the next James Bond at the time.
May 14, 2015
really good often overlooked gem of pic
½ May 13, 2015
Hodges offers a really interesting - and often neglected - look at the world of gambling and the cynicism that adorns it, in the process also revealing man's dark wishes for each other.
May 11, 2015
I don't know, I just don't get it. Slow, boring, cheap looking...... wooden acting, cheesy dialogue, absurd plot turns. I just couldn't get in to it.
April 24, 2015
Very British, very 2000. I found the whole thing very slow, there is nothing wrong with a steady buildup but ultimately I can't help but feel that this goes no where. I've never understood the appeal of Clive Owen and after this I'm still none the wiser.
March 31, 2015
A great modern noir with a compelling main character portrayed with style (despite suffering some embarrassing 90s fashion) by Owen. I think it kind of falls apart a bit in the last act, but not enough to leave me with a bad taste. The final twist is a stunning revelation that sort of recasts the events of the entire film.
February 6, 2015
Directed by Mike Hodges (Get Carter (1971) and Flash Gordon (1980)), and written by Paul Mayersberg (The Man Who Fell to Earth (1976), Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence (1983) and Eureka (1983)), this crime drama had a troubled release, opening to no fanfare at all in the UK in 1999, it was released in America in 2000, where the critics absolutely loved it, and it got a re-release here in 2001, where people saw what the fuss was about. It follows aspiring writer Jack Manfred (Clive Owen), who is struggling to find inspiration for his next book. But, following a recommendation from his father (Nicholas Ball), Jack gets a job at a casino ran by David Reynolds (Alexander Morton), working as a croupier. It's against his better judgement as he used to gamble a lot in his home country of South Africa. However, he knows he can't get close to the customers or the staff. The job takes over his life, and puts a strain on his relationship with girlfriend Marion (Gina McKee). Then Jack breaks a big rule, he finds himself getting close to gambler Jani de Villiers (Alex Kingston), who has a dark side. It's a very good crime film, and it's about the temptation that the world of gambling has to offer. It's a very twisty film as well, but it's cleverly scripted, and it does show the realistic side to gambling, all the tricks of the trade as well as the do's and don't that the job of a croupier entails. It's well worth a look.
November 19, 2014
Stylish, but devoid of substance.
½ November 15, 2014
I think this is a bit overrated as an underrated gem, I wouldn't describe it as a gem. It's ok but the acting is a bit cheesy and it is not really an interesting story.
½ November 13, 2014
October 23, 2014
An excellent British movie that is so gripping in its simplicity and approach that you are gripped by the world of casino's which done here with its character study pulls you in, and you learn a lot from the casino world.
October 15, 2014
"Croupier" is an atmospheric piece that captures the reality of casino life. While there is nothing mind-blowing about the plot, the film shines through the interior monologues that expose the dark emotions of its characters. Clive Owen's unique voice is perfect for these monologues. It isn't his best film, but I can see how he gained notoriety in the film world with this performance. The setting is different than most gambling movies. We aren't used to seeing casinos without the glam and lights of Vegas, but it focuses the attention on this character being sucked into the underworld of casinos. I was excited to see that this film had a heist in it but was disappointed that we didn't get to see any of the details; instead, the heist is just an event that happens without much pomp and circumstance. There is a minor twist at the end that is executed without much surprise, but that is not surprising since the focus of this film is not the plot. If I'm going to watch "Croupier" again," it will be for the atmosphere and not for the gambling.
September 12, 2014
Decent little drama thriller. The story and dialogue is pretty tight.
June 23, 2014