The Crow - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Crow Reviews

½ October 15, 2016
The Crow is a crazy fun film led by Brandon Lee on the quest to get revenge for the death of himself and his wife.
½ October 15, 2016
The crow is a vengeance film straight out of a comic book. We see a young couple savagely murdered in their own home by a gang of thugs. The man (roth) is resurrected in order to finished some business the thugs caused to him and his fiancÚ. This film is definitely a cult film and has a great down to basics comic book plot with the late great brandon roth stealing the show.
September 23, 2016
It's impossible to watch this movie and not think about Heath Ledger as much as Brandon Lee. The resemblance is striking. You also see much of "Dark City" in the production design of Detroit, which has never looked more appealing, for a goth-minded fan. As Ebert wrote, the bizarre reality is the point, not the story, which is simple revenge from the grave. But rarely has such a simple story been shown in such a striking manner.
September 12, 2016
Absolute classic. It can't rain all the time. Great soundtrack, great action, RIP Brandon Lee. That's still some bizarre shit though.
September 10, 2016
A gothic revenge masterpiece with a charismatic and breathtaking lead performance from the late Brandon Lee.
September 9, 2016
Revenge has never been so dark and fantastic!
September 9, 2016
This movie is ver emotional. I poured tears and Eric Draven is one of my favourite characters.
½ September 6, 2016
In a world without justice one man was chosen to protect the innocent. Young rock musician Eric Draven was murdered along with his fiancee Shelly by a group of savage inner-city thugs who intimidate the decaying city in which the live on October 30, or Devil's Night. On the anniversary of his death Draven rises from his grave when a mysterious spectral crow appears and guides him to set things right and help his soul finally rest in peace. He goes on a mission to avenge himself against Top Dollar, a depraved crime lord who had ordered his gang to murder Draven.

"It can't rain all the time." Memories can't fade away, either, if it is eternally forever; that quote is so memorable for the film that even the titular track which appears in the ending credits talks true of that, and it sounded so beautiful in tune. For the late Brandon Lee, it was sadly his last ever film - he died of a freak accident in the middle of production and thus a digital stand-in took his place. His Eric Draven character was pushed right through the limits, coping himself, and madly driven by the rage towards him for his own death. Acting as a guide to him a crow helps Draven remind him who he was and works well as a piece of his own personality. As I can tell by his appearance, not only he looked like "a mime from hell" as according to Officer Albrecht, his facial make-up reminded me of The Joker in The Dark Knight and Draven may have been an influence on that. Since Brandon was the son of the legendary Bruce Lee, could his death be part of a family curse? I certainly thought so, and if the son was destined to be the next great action star then that curse may have caused his unfortunate death. Overall, The Crow is an excellent movie that works as a story about justice for the victims with a taste of sweet revenge, not to mention that it has no rules about coming back from the dead. Even the thrilling horror action throughout makes it real good that I would enjoy seeing it over and over again.
September 3, 2016
Very poor performance, but due to the death of Brandon is considered to be a cult.
½ August 19, 2016
Despite the standout performance of Brandon Lee, and the strange events of his death, this movie was like watching a movie made by a 90s grunge band. The most notable offensive monsters were the horrendous sfx and editing.
August 15, 2016
excellent movie, to bad he died for real in the movie.
½ July 11, 2016
It's incredible how they made this movie still so powerful and well structured even after the unfortunate death of Brandon Lee during the filming of this movie. It's got great action, but does the iconic status of how they still finished it given the circumstances and made a powerful movie about a vigilante living life by his own rules mean it's perfect? Noooo... It's pretty boring at some parts, to be honest and I feel most of the characters are pretty one dimensional, but it still is worth a watch at least once.
July 5, 2016
Loved this movie since it I first saw it in theaters! Brandon Lee was exceptional as the crow. I could accept sequels or spinoffs but this one needs to be left alone. Brandon's work deserves that.
½ July 3, 2016
On the plus side: it has a cool, dark atmosphere. Otherwise, it's heartwarmingly so-nineties, and gave some unintended laughs.
June 24, 2016
One of the best comic book to movie adaptations ever. I doubt they could ever make a better Crow movie than this. Brandon Lee would've been a huge star after this performance.
½ June 17, 2016
Visually gorgeous. The dramatic lighting and contrasts of darks and brights is everything you could ask for. A gleeful, menacing, and at times warm performance from Brandon Lee.
June 11, 2016
Action packed.
Great story.
Supurb cast.
Very likable
½ May 31, 2016
Riveting! A coup filled with love and death told marvelously darkened.

Director Alex Proyas (Knowing, Paradise Lost) puts together a tragic love story wonderfully shadowy with the son of Bruce Lee leading the cast to a classic that would generate more dead man walking films to come.

Synopsis: Eric Draven (Brandon Lee) is brutally murdered by a group of men for eviction circumstance. He is then brought back into the earthly world with the help of a black bird in taking revenge to those that did wrong doings.

I had the privilege to watch this film in theaters when it released in 1994 and it was an amazing experience to watch a film display with such sentiment and affection I could feel the hatred and sorrow with contentment closing in towards the ending credits.

Brandon Lee brings out the Raven in Draven with a performance that would have catapulted him to stardom with ease. The action is superb and the cast couldn't have gotten any better for the roles that needed to be played in this vengeful tale of despair. The cinematography could have been a bit more subtle, but the work they put washing out the colors made for a much darker film to view.

Had Iggy Pop played the role of T-Bird, the film would have possibly become a Masterpiece. For reasons unknown, he was unable to do so and would appear in the follow up title "The Crow: City of Angels".

Nevertheless, it's still a classic of its kind and will never be forgotten.
May 28, 2016
I love this movie. I can never get tired of watching this movie. A beautiful love story. #RealLoveLast4Ever <3
½ May 15, 2016
Silly and very '90s but is still a fun watch.