The Crow - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Crow Reviews

½ June 22, 2017
For today's standards, the film looks outdated, but thanks to its faithful style to the comics, "The Crow" is both a touching tribute to Brandon Lee and to the comic book creator who also suffered the lost of a loved one like the protagonist. It's a gothic, fantasy story about vengeance, but also about redemption. It might be too artsy for some, but for those who enjoy a little art, this film is right for you.
½ June 18, 2017
"The Crow" was supposed to be just one of several good performances by Lee, unfortunately it was the last one.

In short, the story is simple. Eric and his fiancée are murdered by one of several gangs that terrorize the city. Nearly a year later, Eric returns from the dead to avenge his assassins, he is guided by a mysterious raven, who appears to be responsible for reap the souls.

The story is bleak; the colors, the gothic style and the rainy weather helps to build this darkness. In short, the humor is almost nil, the secondary characters are not well structured (except Albrecht, Sarah and Top Dollar), keeping the focus on Lee's performance. The film does not easily reveal the answers, Eric's main goal, revenge, extends from his killers to other people, who are guilty even indirectly (in the case of the pawn shop owner). In the end, Eric's revenge prevents thieves from performing the famous "Devil's Night."

The Crow is an excellent film, romantic, tragic, obscure, vengeful, and whith too rock 'n' roll, drugs and murdered, all these elements backed by an excellent gothic atmosphere and a good performance by Lee.
June 1, 2017
May be my favorite movie of all time. Brandon Lee is spectacular. The soundtrack is amazing. And it mixes multiple genres together, and does it well. You have action, horror, romance, and the supernatural all rolled into one. And who doesn't love a good revenge plot?
½ May 24, 2017
An indisputably iconic movie, Brandon Lee is the perfect Eric Draven. Great direction and staging coupled with a good story and memorable characters make this a perfect, if tragic way for Lee to "bow out".
May 23, 2017
A cult classic. One of my favorite films of all time.
½ May 20, 2017
it's a shame it has been happened that, but the movie despite the low budget is interesting and fun. must to see it.
May 17, 2017
"The Crow" is a powerful story, that will either make you ball up or cheer,
May 17, 2017
This is my favourite movie of all time!
May 13, 2017
This is definitely my second favorite film, and the best superhero film I've ever seen. If you're a fan of dark, gritty horror fiction, but want a more emotional and romantic tone with it, skip "Batman V Superman", and watch this. This is dark and gritty done to perfection. Go see it!
May 11, 2017
Um dos melhores filmes de sempre...Um culto...Brandon Lee fenomenal,
Excelente realização ,história muito bem construída,profunda e sentimental...para ver ,rever e mostrar a gerações vindouras...como aquilo que deve ser um filme, Uma verdadeira arte...
½ April 10, 2017
Terrific film that is often overshadowed by it's notoriety over Brandon Lee's unfortunate death. Based on the cult comic by James O'Barr, this film, adapted by splatterpunk writer David J. Schow, is true to it's source material, but director Alex Proyas, in his feature film debut, unmistakably leave his mark on the film. The story has Lee and his girlfriend are murdered by gang members, but Lee is resurrected as an avenging angel, or crow, who then seeks his revenge upon those who killed him and raped and murdered his girlfriend. Lee gives a strong performance in a part that easily could have been swallowed up under all the make-up, atmosphere, and action. With this as his final film appearance, it's purely speculative, but I really do believe this would have been his breakout film and would have made him a huge star. Besides Lee the film is bolstered by a strong supporting cast that includes Michael Wincott (who was all over the place in the 90s, but seems to have since disappeared), the underused Ernie Hudson, Bai Ling, Anna Thomson, the great David Patrick Kelly, Tony Todd, and Jon Polito. Production designer Alex McDowell also gets big props for his contribution to the film's moody fell, as does cinematographer Dariusz Wolski. Graeme Revell provides a terrific score that I regularly listen to to this day, but I think one of the major heroes of this film is the soundtrack, led off by the title song by The Cure. Back in the day I played this soundtrack endlessness. Some of the tracks, particularly the grunge ones, don't hold up so well (i.e. Stone Temple Pilots or For Love Not Lisa), but others like The Cure, Rage Against The Machine, Nine Inch Nails, Rollins Band, and even My Life With The Thrill Kill Kult still hold up. It's a killer soundtrack and is once again on high rotation in my car. The soundtrack alone should earn this film another star. But overall, this is a smart, scrappy, dark fantasy, that does deserve it's cult following.
½ March 28, 2017
I've been meaning to get around to this movie for awhile, but always worried it would be hard to watch knowing what happened to Brandon Lee while filming. However I think the story is good enough to engage you early, so I never thought about it after the first few minutes. The story was written brilliantly to grip you from basically the first frames of film and make you care about the protagonist's journey.

I've seen revenge thrillers before, so there wasn't much new or special in this one. Well, aside from the fact that it's a zombie empowered by a crow that's seeking revenge. I was worried that the abilities Eric possessed were going to make things anticlimactic, because he was too powerful, but I still felt the tension in his confrontations. The simple voiceover at the beginning was all I needed to explain the origin of his powers, and I like that they didn't talk about it at all after that narration.

I was worried about Brandon Lee's performance in some of the early scenes because it seemed like he went a little over-the-top in his first few scenes. But the way he plays the more toned down moments showed me he had skill, and was just making some bold decisions to start. Ernie Hudson was a perfectly-cast costar. There's something about his delivery that makes me accept the fact that he's a cop who is good at his job despite never telling The Crow to stop killing people.

The villains were more of a struggle. I mean, I understand that a good climax needs a big bad that is more important than all the enemies that came before, but the way they got there was ridiculous. The big problem is that Michael Wincott's character (Top Dollar? Seriously?) didn't participate in the original crime and The Crow didn't care about his masterminding that crime. So in order to create an exciting climax Top Dollar had to continuously behave illogically and against his own character.

The Crow is a good film that has a dark tone for a reason. It seems like every franchise is shooting for dark-and-gritty nowadays, but here's a movie that truly needed it to fit the story. It's a good movie, despite some flaws in the third act. I also wish they had pushed the fight choreography a little more, because I thought Brandon Lee could have delivered more. It's not really a flaw, just feels like a missed opportunity. But, considering the major tragedy that happened during filming, it's hard to know what else was planned. I'll gladly watch The Crow again anytime.
March 23, 2017
3/22/2017: I love this movie. An interesting story with some good action. Brandon Lee was great in this role.
March 20, 2017
One of my most favourite films...
March 20, 2017
Not like the comic, bad supporting cast and terrible script.
½ March 18, 2017
Despite the death of Brandon Lee hanging over this film it is still a solid dark fantasy action film which is based on a comic book and one of the main reasons it is so good is because of Lee as the main character Draven. Visually it looks great (though a few CGI parts look dated), I like the way it is edited, the rest of the cast is decent, the action is stellar and the score and the majority of the soundtrack is great. Plot and script may be somewhat on the basic side but it is functional and not awful.
March 2, 2017
A fast-paced, hyper-violent cult favorite, "The Crow" adds up to a "Death Wish"-style vigilante revenge flick with a supernatural twist, an unexpected amount of humor, and visuals that look like they're from a 90s punk rock music video.
February 12, 2017
Super cool movie and I still listen to the soundtrack.
½ January 29, 2017
Haunting, and full of aesthetic appeal and meaningful relationships. Worth watching for sure!
½ January 21, 2017
Probably would have liked it more if I watched it 7 or 8 years ago, but I definitely thought it was good.