The Crow - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Crow Reviews

November 11, 2015
A dark tale of revenge after Eric Draven and Shelly Webster are mercilously killed by a gang of thugs on Devil's Night, the night before were due to get married. Told by the young friend (Sarah) whom Eric and Shelly have adopted due to their drug addicted mother neglecting her, Eric comes back and seeks revenge on each thug one by one when he rises from the dead, a year after his slaying. Brilliantly acted by Lee with a great performance by Michael Wincott as the heinous Top Dollar (the boss of the thugs) this is one film not to be missed.
½ November 5, 2015
The Crow is not a bad film by any means, but it does stop short of being a good one in today's world. As of now, it is incredibly dated and shows many signs of its aging. In addition, the premise is pretty dumb and, even worse, the world in which Devil's Night is some night where entire towns are lit on fire is a bit far fetched for a film that is not science fiction. In spite of that, the film is quite stylish and this, combined with Dark City, show exactly the visual palette you can expect from an Alex Proyas directed film. Brandon Lee (RIP) is quite good here, though Michael Wincott truly steals the show here. His performance is magnetic and every time he is on screen, he completely owns your attention. The action is pretty well done though it too is a touch dated. The plot, aside from the premise, is pretty interesting and is well paced. The runtime is almost a little short, but works pretty well and Proyas ensures every minute is used very well. As a whole, The Crow is not really my thing, though it is incredibly well done.
½ October 29, 2015
Although some parts of the movie seem very hackneyed, and the acting can get a little stale, it's still a great film that will keep you entertained the whole way through.
October 27, 2015
An great adaptation and Brandon lee would have been a great action star.
½ October 12, 2015
don't understand what all the fuss is about
October 11, 2015
Saw this on 12/10/15
It's violent energy is appreciable change for an American superhero film, Brandon Lee gives a good performance and the film has some well shot scenes, but it's mostly unbearable to look at due to the horrible cinematography and choppy editing. The stunt choreography is better than the rest of these stuffs, but you just can't see any fucking thing clearly.
October 10, 2015
The Crow is a satisfying 'revenge from the grave' tale. Brandon Lee, in his best but sadly final role, gives a powerful performance of Eric Draven. His way of giving Draven the likeable persona of a man that's driven by the power of love and his willingness to exact revenge is a pleasure to watch. Lee also manages to include some creepy, tension relief humor that just adds to the value of his performance. There is so many things to compliment within this movie, the dialogue, the direction, the powerful ending. 'The Crow' is a fantastically underrated movie that makes you truly sad that the world lost a talent like Brandon Lee way too soon.
½ October 10, 2015
Good action. Neat story.
October 3, 2015
Forced acting, no real conflict, speed never fluctuates, uses just about every campy action-flick punch-line in the book, no character depth in the main character. Never even escalates. But I'm sure it pleases emo teenagers
October 1, 2015
Fantastic movie! The movie industry lost an amazingly talented man these years.
October 1, 2015
This has a suitably dark tone, a great story, a stellar final performance from Brandon Lee, stunning visuals, and some excellent direction from Alex Proyas.
½ September 27, 2015
The Crow's definitely one of my favorite movies (I have claimed it to be my very favorite movie on occasions) I love the dark gothic look of it, the action, the performances (Brandon Lee especially, may he rest in peace). And honestly, imo, it legitimately has a sad story.
September 13, 2015
The Crow has become kind of a cult phenomenon. It was director Alex Proyas' first 'real' movie and star actor Brandon Lee's last. I won't go into the tragic death of Lee in this review, that's a subject for another time.

Rooted deeply in an 80's vein of revenge-driven stories like the Dead Pool and Death Wish, this now 22-year-old film depicts a dark and dreary early 1990's and it does so very well. Yes, almost 25 years later it's dated. But not in such a way that it demands a re-make. This kind of film should stay in its own timeframe.

Of course the premise of this whole story is kind of ridiculous. It states that sometimes, just sometimes, a crow transporting a dead person's soul to the land of the dead will bring that person back to life, for vengeance's sake. For a rational cookie monster like me, that is hard to wrap my little head around.

The problem of this movie is not in the acting or the story, however. It's just that the thing is so damn sad and leaves you wishing that you had seen something more cheery.

Eric Craven (Brandon Lee) comes back from the dead to avenge his own and his fiancee's death. They were killed a year earlier at the hands of a gang of street thugs. Like the 80's movies mentioned earlier, he picks off his enemies one by one, all the while keeping an emotional connection to a street girl named Sarah (Rochelle Davis) and a weird kind of friendship with Sergeant Albrecht (Ernie Hudson).

When this movie starts, you know how it's going to end: not well. The production matches the mood of the story here: it's dark, dreary and ever so gloomy. I don't know what to recommend, to be honest. Don't watch it when you're happy, it will bring you down. Also don't watch it when you're depressed, it will only kick you down further.
September 9, 2015
'The Crow' has its moments. Whether it be the most adrenaline-pumping shootout in cinema history, or how you kind of feel for Eric Draven and what he went through. Still whether he's a good comic book character or not cannot hide the fact that the entire film is badly done. Some scenes work better as early 90's music videos and the film works as a guilty pleasure that could deserve a re-watch.
½ August 29, 2015
Strange but really worth it...
½ July 30, 2015
A pulpy, lurid, incredibly entertaining exercise in style over substance, The Crow might be just another action B movie, were it not for its dark, creative visuals, authentically gothic atmosphere and a passionate, emotionally-charged performance from the late Brandon Lee.
½ July 21, 2015
A dark and atmospheric revenge thriller holstered by Brandon Lee's gritty performance as The Crow.
July 20, 2015
The first 20 minutes are a bit underdeveloped(probably because of Brandon Lee's unfortunate death), but the movie immediately picks up its pace with it's great action scenes, beautiful visual style, and Brandon Lee's charming/funny performance. An entertaining and good end to Brandon Lee's career.
July 12, 2015
Amazing Movie R.I.P Brandon Lee
July 7, 2015
The Crow was a comic book created by James O'Barr in 1989. With the comic book being an underground success, film producers saw great potential in it, and produced a film adaptation.

Brandon Lee, son of legendary Martial Artist and actor Bruce Lee, was cast in the lead role, and sadly, this would be the last film he ever made as he died from an accident that happened near the end of filming (inexperienced crew members loaded a real life bullet in a prop gun, which was what ultimately took Brandon's life). The few remaining scenes were completed using stunt doubles, and visual effects with leftover footage of Brandon inserted. The story behind Brandon's tragic death also helped attract moviegoers, and fans of the actor to see him one more time in film.

The Crow proved very successful, both critically and financially, and became the first successful R rated comic book movie, paving the way for similar dark comic book movies such as Sin City, and The Dark Knight.

There is a myth that when someone dies, a crow carries their soul to the realm of the dead, but sometimes, because of an event so traumatizing, the crow can bring that soul back to put the wrong things right. On October 30, Devil's Night, guitarist Eric Draven (played by Brandon Lee), and his fiancee Shelly Webster (played by Sofia Shinas) are murdered by a vicious gang of criminals. One year passes, and a mystical crow brings Eric back to life as an undead avenger to take out the ones who murdered both him, and Shelly.

I was already a huge fan of Bruce Lee, and was starting to get into his son Brandon Lee. Technically, the first movie I saw starring him was Showdown in Little Tokyo, but I was too young to remember. This was the movie that re-introduced me to Brandon, however, because I was too young, I didn't see the film until age 11, and when I did, I loved the movie, and to this day, it's one of my favorite movies of all-time.

The plot is very unique, and often has a strong sense of irony to it (seeing that in the movie, Brandon, whose life was ended during the making of the film, as mentioned before, is playing a man who dies, and ends up returning from the dead). Brandon Lee delivers an excellent performance as Eric Draven, he brings the tormented side of the character to life while offering a twisted sense of humor prior to sending off his murderers. The rest of the cast is also great, you have Ernie Hudson playing Albarecht, an officer who becomes an ally of Eric, and Michael Wincott as Top Dollar; the main villain, and the mastermind who orchestrated the murders of Eric and Shelly.

It's also noteworthy to talk about the visual design of the movie. The look is dark, and gives a very bleak and depressing atmosphere to the film, which works perfectly, unlike some modern comic book movies which try way too hard to be serious and realistic.

To add toppings to this wonderful film, the action scenes are well done, and the soundtrack rocks (one of the best movie soundtracks I have listened to, personally).

Because of the success of this movie, it was followed by 3 shitty, and unnecessary sequels, and a spin-off TV series starring Mark Dacascos as Eric Draven. There are plans to remake this movie too, however, this movie didn't need to spawn a franchise as I feel that not only was this a perfect movie, but also because it was pretty conclusive (I won't spoil the ending as I highly recommend this movie). Regardless of the unwanted franchise, this movie will always remain as one of the greatest comic book movies I have seen.