The Crow - Salvation - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Crow - Salvation Reviews

July 17, 2012
This film is actually different, something that every series needs. However it is way out there during the whole film and it makes you feel like your on a drug induced nightmare. This is the first of the series to go DTV after poor test screenings but if given the proper maintenance this could have been a good film. It's actually a decent repsentation of the later 90's/2000 culture. That's a positive as the previous two are touchstones for the goth culture, especially the second film. Now for what I consider to be the positives and negatives of this flick:

POSITIVES: This film is a change of pace, or quite simply different!

Eric Mabius is surprisingly epic as the crow. He looks quite wimpy at first but he grows on you. That's a positive of the series so far as all three Crow's are different and good.

The Supporting cast has some established names: Fred Ward, Dale Midkiff, William Atherton, and Jodi Lynn O'Keeffe. They all act well and back up Mabius fine.

The Love Story is decent. While not as good as Eric and Shelly's from the original you feel for these two.

NEGATIVES:

Kristen Dunst is miscast. She was the popular teen actress of the day, but she was miscast in the role. She is fit for the teen movies of the day not dramatic roles. Plus she did not really fit as Jodi Lynn O'Keefef's sister, she was not pretty enough for me. There was plenty of sexy and brunette teen actresses around in the 1999.

The film is quite gruesome at times. While I am a horror fan and love the violence, this film sometimes goes overboard. The whole electrocution scenes are overdone to the max and unrealistic, and the whole arm scar and tourture scenes are just nasty.

The Soundtrack is horrendous. By 1999 Goth and alternative rock was out and modern rock/.rap was in. And sadly that means Kid Rock was on the CD and in the Film. His song is so/so, but songs by Rob Zombie (who actually wrote a crow script) and Filter (Who's song for the film is quite underrated) save the soundtrack to a quick listen status.

Overall this movie deserves a watch and is quite a decent film. It's negatives drew the rating down but it's a worth the time.
½ July 9, 2012
This film is merely another mind numbing sequel to The Crow !
June 24, 2012
not as good as the original....
½ June 16, 2012
This film was actually as good as the first one. maybe the crow series has star trek syndrome, only that the even numbered ones aren't as good.
½ May 26, 2012
Probably the best sequel of the series
May 21, 2012
Yes it has nothing to do with the real Crow movie but it was more a romantic Crow movie I think that is where it lost a lot of the darkness. Nothing hits the original marks everything is off like I said it is lost.
½ May 21, 2012
So bad I had to turn it off half way through the film.
½ May 15, 2012
"Salvation" is the second sequel in the series and again tried to redefine the property. It was a well intentioned entry to the franchise but sadly missed the mark. The story is good enough and the reimaging of The Crow character is pretty cool... but the movie simply lacks a visual presence. It looks more like a television crime show than the horror vigilante movie that it's supposed to be. All's it would have taken to elevate it would have been a different lighting design and cinematography because all of the other components are in place. Still, I don't hate Salvation. It might be a lacklustre sequel in comparison with the previous films but as a stand-alone it works well enough to make it worth a look. What it does have going for it is a really fucking awesome soundtrack.
May 13, 2012
More action and suspense!
½ April 29, 2012
The Crow- Salvation...urgh...this was a tough sequel for me to tackle not because it was really shitty although I do kinda like it, but it was hard for me to decide whether to hate it or to like this sequel due to the hates it got and as a Crow fan myself comparing it to it's previous installment. Anyway the story is about Alex Corvis played by Eric Mabius who is framed for his girlfriend Lauren's death when she was actually stabbed by some man I don't even know about. After being killed in a electric chair, Alex is resurrected by the mystical crow who helps him to take of the leather mask that has melted on his face that has left the crow marks on his face. With Lauren's younger sister Erin played by the always pretty Kirsten Dunst as his ally, Alex proves to her that he's innocent while he seeks revenge on everyone that framed him and killed Lauren. Again, like the previous installment, it's not that bad but at least they tried. The only reason why I gave a higher rating compared to The Crow: City Of Angels is because for my love for Kirsten Dunst, I know she never flaws it and it's not her fault this sequel sucked for those you obnoxious critics but for those Crow fans, some say that this was the best sequel out of the franchise which I will have to decide later after I review the next film. The Crow- Salvation gets a rare 7/10.
April 27, 2012
i seen the second one
April 21, 2012
Not as good as the first.
½ April 17, 2012
A far superior plot to the previous film and if made with the same budget it would have been a really good movie. As it is Mabius looks the part but struggles to make the dialogue convincing. Dunst is underused but fun as ever to watch. Over all for its limited cash they did a hell of a lot right.
½ April 7, 2012
I didn't like this. The death this time wasn't original as people think, I thought it was dragged out. It's just a bunch of corrupt cops this time. But hey, they're probably just as badass as previous villians, right? RIGHT? WRONG. While Walton Goggins (Shane Vendrell from The Shield) is in this group, the other ones are unknowns, and if they are not most bland uninteresting villians ever. Seriously, unlike in the first, when you cared for these villian, cause you wanted them dead, these guys just bore the ever loving hell out of you. Including the main one. Mabius was terrible, even Furlong did better in the next. (at least he was somewhat funny) The soundtrack isn't that great, bordering on mediocre. The atmosphere screams TV Movie. The biggest disappointment for me, I got more out of Wicked Prayer than this POS.
March 29, 2012
This is the beginning of the decline of the series, in my opinion. After growing to love City of Angels, I really wanted to like this movie. I was incredibly anxious for it's release. it was leaked online that it was being released into a limited number of theaters before it was released nationwide. As it turned out, it was released into one theater in Spokane, WA and did not do well. So the theatrical release was scrapped altogether and the studio began preparing it as a straight-to-video release. When I watched it, I could see why. It wasn't horrible, but it definitely wasn't good. I had seen Eric Mabius in other films before and though he had the talent to pull it off. I knew Kirsten Dunst for Interview with the Vampire and little else. The script and production were terrible. The feel to the characters, especially the villains was all wrong too. My main criticism, however, is that they strayed to far from their source material. This film was based on a Crow novel, written some time earlier by Poppy Z. Brite, called The Crow: Lazarus Heart. The filmmakers apparently didn't have the gut to make a movie about the first gay crow. The book was about I man, named Jared Poe (much better name than Alex Corvis), whose lover was killed by a delusional serial killer. Jared was convicted for the crime and went to prison where he was murdered by another inmate. He returned to take vengeance on the corrupt legal officials who framed him for the crime and then the murderer of his partner. Maybe they figured Kirsten Dunst was not up to play the transgendered identical twin sister of the murdered partner. I don't know, but I loved the book and would have loved to see that movie. I bet it would have drawn a lot more attention too. The first gay action hero. But they didn't do that and here we are.
½ March 21, 2012
Not as good as the first movie, but still WAY better than the second movie.
February 8, 2012
could've used a better story and director lol
December 28, 2011
Why oh why does Hollywood insist on taking a proud franchise with a proud and loyal fan-base and turning it into total crap?

I am well versed in 'The Crow' mythos, being a huge fan of the original film and the O'Barr graphic novels on which it was based. If only a little bit of time and money were invested into this movie, it had enough going for it to maybe be a passable movie. Instead, it was cheaply passed over by its studio. It is an all around flop, with a crappy script, crappy acting, crappy effects, and crappy plot devices. Kirsten Dunst in particular is an absolute train-wreck, as she is in any movie she's ever been in.

The lone bright spot acting wise is the always entertaining Fred Ward. Brandon Lee would be ashamed.
December 23, 2011
i like this movie its more of a guilty pleasure
December 13, 2011