Crucible of Horror (The Velvet House) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Crucible of Horror (The Velvet House) Reviews

August 8, 2015
She has everything she wants.

A successful political influencer has two women that reside with him, one woman is older and a mother figure to the young female. The two women plot to kill the politician so they can move on with their lives; unfortunately, after the deed is done they will find it hard to keep it covered up.

"What the hell are you doing?"

Viktors Ritelis, director of episodes from the television series Vendetta, The Expert, Home and Away, A Country Practice, and GP, delivers Crucible of Horror. The storyline for this picture is just average with few good horror elements. The acting is mediocre even for this genre.

"I hope I'm not a bother."

I came across this on Netflix a couple weeks ago and thought it would be an interesting movie to add to the queue. Overall, it was a below average addition to the genre with few redeeming sequences. I recommend skipping this.

"Let's kill him."

Grade: C-
September 16, 2014
One of the finest Michael Gough movies.
½ November 30, 2013
Unfollowable plot with boring characters and a dragging story. It doesn't make a lot of sense, it doesn't get too thrilling, and there is hardly any resolution. A dud ultimately.
July 2, 2013
It takes too long for this film to get into business. There is only maybe 30 minutes that worth watching.
June 13, 2013
Very good film to look at and see it
May 2, 2012
Some stories just beg to be told, no matter how the movie turns out. Typical B-movie, low budget feel, but the underlying story about a mother and daughter who kill an abusive father is classic. Can't help but wonder what Alfred Hitchcock could have done with this same exact screenplay. But this quaint movie is unique and special enough as it is. Fascinating to watch Alfred the butler beating his daughter in the woods for no good reason. Weird and wonderful.
½ June 26, 2011
Walter Westwood is a real horror show, a loveless husband and chauvenist who whips his daughter with a riding crop (OK, that can be fun, but not when DAD does it!) and routinely dismisses everything his wife says. They decide to waste the old bastard, and the scheme seems to have worked. Then, ooops! The corpse just doesn't want to go away. The more they try to get rid of it, the more it comes back. What the fu*#*? What's up with THAT???

I was waiting for the movie to really develop at this point, but the solution turned out be disappointingly simple. It would have made a better short entry in an Amicus Productions Anthology. In fact, it was. See the sketch,"Frozen Fear" in the 1972 horror movie, Asylum, which is also very similar to "The Neat Job," in Tales From The Crypt II, aka The Vault Of Horror, 1973.
½ June 12, 2011
Like "Diabolique" except not good.
May 4, 2011
Quite the movie! The ending is really quite horrifying.
½ April 26, 2011
I had the pleasure of seeing this one on film, which probably accounts for the extra 1/2 star. I love campy "horror" movies, and this is definitely one of them. The costumes are always fun to look at and the story was decent, as there was a plot twist at the end, which led to discussion after the film.

Crucible of Horror tells the tale of a family that is terrorized by its patriarch, played by the lovable (haha) Michael Gough. Interestingly, his children in real life play his children in the movie. His wife suffers from psychological problems, which propels the action of the film nicely along. Halfway through the film, the mother decides her husband needs to go and so enlists her daughter to help pull this off. Of course, it turns out to be questionable as to whether they pull this off or not, but that is the fun of it.

Great psychedelic effects to portray madness!
366weirdmovies
½ December 27, 2010
A mother and daughter hatch a plan to kill the family's cruel patriarch. Reasonably well made, except for the fact that this dull ripoff of much better thrillers never should have been made.
November 20, 2010
I actually was enjoying this movie up until the ending.After it was over, I was like WTF just happened?! Can somebody explain it to me? If you watch it or have watched it, You'll know what I mean
September 16, 2010
After years of Physical Abuse,a Mother and Daughter Plan to murder the Father/Husband of the the household,however things take a strange turn when the body keeps appearing in random places after the murder.Michael Gough is on top form as the sadistic Father and he is worth Watching in this film alone,its a good mystery although the ending is a bit strange and there's questions left unanswered,but still a good watch.
February 7, 2009
let the god define human activities
August 1, 2008
Not too bad, but would have been better with Christopher Lee. Or Peter Cushing. Or anyone other than Michael Gough, really.
November 1, 2007
Not interested. I generally avoid horror movies.
June 17, 2006
moi les films qui mettent surtout l'accent sur une couleur particuliere tout le long du film dans l'espoir qu'on embarque plus et que ša nous effraye... :(
March 5, 2006
i want to see it soon i hope it id gd