Zhestokiy romans (A Cruel Romance) (Ruthless Romance) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Zhestokiy romans (A Cruel Romance) (Ruthless Romance) Reviews

½ October 29, 2016
It's 1984, not 1983.
Update: gave it an additional half star, the movie is near masterpiece.
August 12, 2013
Rare Masterpiece Transcending The Time and Place
April 14, 2010
Another hit by Eldar Ryazanov. Not quite sure what the moral of the tale was but highly entertaining, beautifully shot and acted.
½ March 22, 2010
Moral ambiguity gives way to clarity.
½ March 7, 2009
Amazing love story! So far my favorite Russian film.
December 15, 2008
no thanks not my thing
March 9, 2008
More cruel than a romance, but who wouldn't fall in love with this Nikita Mihalkov?
February 18, 2008
Nothing like I expected, bettrer. The end shocked me, and the cinematography was amazing! Definitely a must see, whether you're Russian or not.
February 16, 2008
one of my favorite love stories, and mikhalkov was stunning
½ January 28, 2008
"Ya slovno babochka k ognyu... stremilas tak neodolimo...
v lyubov, v volshebnuyu stranu...
gde nazovut menya lyubimoi..."

Great, timeless classic, keenly observed, beautifully shot and acted, and oh, the songs! *Sigh* ...
½ January 13, 2008
Superb acting by premiere Russian theater and movie stars, heartfelt tender Russian romance music by Andrey Petrov...Melodramatic plot of an old Ostrovsky's play is masterfully updated by the director Eldar Ryazanov. The Gold of Russian/ Soviet cinema.
½ December 16, 2007
I don't usually praise soviet movies, but this is one of those favorites too! Mysterious, Romance, and shocking all wrapped into one!
November 26, 2007
"ja ponjala, ljubov -- strana, gde kazhdyj chelovek - pritvorschik...."
September 24, 2007
Not exactly my favorite but the most beautiful movie by Eldar Ryazanov.
It's based on a novel by Ostrovsky, it's a story about a girl from very noble but poor family.