Cruel World - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Cruel World Reviews

½ July 22, 2016
Typical, cheesy and tame. But still, I guess it's an alright way to waste some time... Edward Furlong needs to stay in the 90s where he belongs though.
March 24, 2016
Amazing Story and Very terific
½ March 22, 2015
A mixture between b movie and fear factor. very watchable but ridiculous at times. Edward Furlong plays himself witch is the only believable thing about this movie. But it still has its moments. A movie to watch in between movies.
½ August 17, 2014
(First and only viewing - Fall 2009)
March 30, 2014
The formula for Horror is very simple. Outrageous characters, creepy music, blood, and lots of beautiful people, but Cruel World is one of those rare Horror films that actually has a story worth telling. After being scorned on a reality dating show, Philip Markham (Edward Furlong) has decided to create his own show. A fear factor type competition with a one million dollar reward. The only problem is when you lose the game, you lose your life, a stipulation the contestants weren't previously aware of. This was a fun film for me, because not only is it original, but it has a cast full of seldom seen 90s teen idols. My regular readers know by now that I consider Edward Furlong to be one of the hardest working, most under appreciated actors in all of Hollywood, but to be honest, he wasn't anything special in this film. Furlong's character is one of those evil geniuses that really seems to be all bark and no bite. The true stars of this film are the lesser known contestants like, Andrew Keegan and Sanoe Lake. The contestants are all oblivious and watching them trying to figure things out under the guise of winning a competition was really clever. The contestants and the competitions are really what helps to distinguish this film from all the other slash films. While including the four elements, and finding a lot of reasons for the pretty people to take their cloths off, there is actually a better than average story here and an experienced cast. The combination of the two make this film much more entertaining than the slasher films you've become accustom to. While I was disappointed in the fact that Edward Furlong couldn't carry this film in the way I've become accustom to seeing, there were still plenty of great performances and exciting moments. If you're a big Horror fan like I am, and you're looking for something a little bit different, give Cruel World a try.
½ March 29, 2014
This movie was terrible. The only redeeming quality is the schadenfreude you experience after tricking a friend into watching it.
½ March 8, 2014
While certainly entertaining in parts, the poor concept & over-acting brings it down and it ends up being a bit of a mess.
July 6, 2013
A disgusted, annoying, sadistic,: insane television producer of a reality TV show is the villain of this b-grade film. Overall it moved along quickly and covered all of its bass.
½ April 28, 2013
76%

Maybe if something like this happened in the real world, "reality" shows would get the axe. We can only pray.
½ April 24, 2013
The only thing 'Cruel', is that this movie was made and I lost over an hour of my life watching this. Most dumb movie I've ever watched. Horrible acting, Edward Furlong is just annoying in this. Its SAW's worst nightmare.
April 1, 2013
a new perspective on horror, nothing groundbreaking, but it's so bad, it's kind of laughable, and furlong is so over the top he keeps you laughing and watching. A watchable affair for a C-Movie
½ January 2, 2013
Most definitely one of the worst pieces of schlock ever filmed. I think it was supposed to be a satiric take on reality TV, but with the horrible script, terrible acting, enormous plot holes, and awful execution, it is impossible to know for sure. Which is actually a shame because the concept is quite good and has a lot of potential.
½ October 16, 2012
just a cheap slasher flick don't watch it if your looking for jumps or suspense
½ September 10, 2012
unique movie from the world of reality TV
½ June 21, 2012
Interesting plot but boring characters. It's not too entertaining although it's a decent watch yet the ending is lacking. Some really slow bits but not a horrible slasher flick.
June 20, 2012
It is now my favorite movie. It is amazing! I just...Love it.
June 14, 2012
really not that good, the part where he uses a baseball bat and swings at her head and it went flying off looked totally fake, i think its pretty much impossible for the head to just roll away , just from a hit from a baseball bat. An average cheap horror flick
½ June 8, 2012
Not very frightening but I was entertained and that's the only thing that really counts.
½ April 25, 2012
what a godawful piece of shit...It's amazing Edward Furlong even has a career.
August 19, 2011
Of all the films of this type, the mock reality TV show slasher, this one was suprisingly decent. The character of Philip is a little inconsistent as a killer, but for the most part Edward Furlong's acting ability masks that. The only part that didn't make any sense was why Philip was starving his cast. It's mentioned like it is going to be a major plot point, but then dropped later, with only passing mentions of the characters being hungry. Although, for people who should be weak with hunger, they have an amazing amount of energy.