The Cruise - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Cruise Reviews

January 22, 2015
A very fascinating documentary on a very interesting figure. Bennett Miller's directorial debut is a match to his great work he has done with his narrative films letting this subject really breath and take control of his story. On the back of the DVD box a critic is quoted comparing the man to Woody Allen in terms of looks and his rich dialogue he spews in a rapid pace. He is just so interesting that you'll want him to personally give you a tour of NYC.
December 2, 2014
Loads of energy and always captivating in some puzzling way, "The Cruise" shows a pre-"Capote" Bennett Miller exploring a man not made for his time and place, a theme he would go on to explore later in his career with three astonishing dramatic movies.
May 10, 2013
If you want to see something very different and very, very good, watch this movie. Documents the eccentric personality of a rebellious, free-spirited New York City tour guide, Tim "Speed" Levitch, who hopes to demonstrate to his clients that he is, "thrilled to be alive". A sincere portrait of a young person questioning things and trying to create his own unique identity. And unlike the formulaic movies we are used to, this one just lets you observe a real person and let's you draw your own conclusions.
November 20, 2012
One-of-a-kind personality in Speed Levitch as he takes us on a unique tour of NY.
February 16, 2012
This goes to show that a really interesting subject can make a documentary all by itself. It almost doesn't matter that there's no real point to the film other than to showcase Speed Levitch's bizarre and delusional view of reality. You are both captivated and repulsed by his rantings, and you find that there's little short of genius in everything he spouts, whether on the Gray Line tour buses or while standing in the shadow of, or on the Brooklyn Bridge.
½ December 17, 2011
I could've watched an entire movie on the beautiful Cinematography or Speed giving Bus Tours or even getting to know him. But The Cruise combines all 3 elements to make a stand out documentary. You start off entertained by Speed then by the end i was relating to him and wishing him the best. Bennett Miller needs to make more films cause i'm a fan!!
August 18, 2011
What a character. Such poetry and Cadiz moments though; I've never seen anything like this.
½ April 20, 2011
Great documentary with some of the better ramblings in a movie that I've seen thus far.
½ March 7, 2011
Supposedly a portrait about NYC tour guide Tim "Speed" Levitch, this is more a visual orgy showcasing pre 9/11 Manhattan, its architecture, structures and buildings. Levitch has an unfortunately HUGELY irritating voice which - despite all his poetic language - ripped at least a pair of stars from my grading.
March 1, 2011
Timothy Levitch truly walks the line between Brilliant Poet and Eccentric Nutjob. His ramblings about the relationship between himself and the city of New York are elaborate, emotional, and poignant. But then you stop and think for a minute sometimes and realize how bizarre this whole situation really is. And sometimes its humorous how intimate his expressions of awe really. But then again, you also think to yourself, "Well... I think I actually understand a little where Tim is coming from... so I guess he's kind of right." Fascinatingly curious.
½ February 3, 2011
One of the funniest documentaries I've seen in recent memory, "The Cruise" is a tour of New York from the vantage point of Timothy Levitch, an incredibly entertaining tour guide working aboard a double-decker bus. By the film's end, it becomes apparent that the documentary has become more about the bizarre tour guide than the city he is showing us. He wanders around hugging architecture, talking to flowers, and spinning himself until he's dizzy so that he can look up at the buildings and imagine them falling on himself. But aside from these amusing antics, he also talks about the desire to escape civilization, to have his grandparents' approval, and find a woman he can run naked through a field of wheat with. He speaks both comically and poetically, keeping the film interesting for nearly its entire running time.
½ January 28, 2011
"When she says to me, after my statement, 'Everyone likes The Grid Plan,' isn't she automatically excluding myself from 'everyone'?" - Timothy "Speed" Levitch
½ October 14, 2010
A great, if nothing else, Character Study. Loved this movie. Its on netflix instant too. This gave me the much needed motivation I needed to get through a long friday.
September 29, 2010
mentioned this not long ago... GREAT documentary... like I said... I never loved NYC... but I did after watching this. A wild philosophical ride...
½ June 10, 2010
A great documentary about a not all-together, but undeniably interesting man.
May 14, 2010
The more you find Timothy "weird", the less interesting you are. This is a brilliant documentary, even if his voice grates a bit.
½ May 3, 2010
I understand that there is more involved in the making of this documentary other than just turning on the camera and pointing it towards Tim Levich; it just doesn't feel that way. So high praise goes towards the director and editor for making it feel like you're just hanging out with Speed. I was lucky enough to take a walking tour with Levich at a film festival in Charlottesville, VA so I actually speak from experience. I guess it helps if you find Levich facinating, which I do. He's very bright and his enthusiasm (for just about everything) makes any topic interesting. If you're ever at a party in which Speed Levitch is in attendance, find a seat near him and just listen.
April 13, 2010
Documentary with New York City tour guide Tim Levich. I watched this because it was on an interview with actor Edward Norton's, and this was among his 5 favorite films. I liked his other 4, so thought I would give it a try. It was interesting, I can't say I loved it though. Tim Levich is as fascinating as he is informative as he is irritating. Wonderful footage of New York, and even though I have lived there in the past, I still learned new things. Not for all tastes, but admire the effort.