Crush - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Crush Reviews

½ August 6, 2013
Written and directed by Scottish playwright John McKay (Piccadilly Jim (2005)), who had used his status as a playwright to get a few short films made, but it was after working on the 1999 Channel 4 drama Psychos, they signed him up to make a feature film. It was filmed under the title The Sad Fuckers Club, but the producers forced McKay to change the title. Pity really, as the original title summed up the plight of our lead characters and what they're going through. Set in a small English town, this follows the exploits of three fortysomething women. American school headmistress Kate (Andie MacDowell), Police Superintendent Janine (Imelda Staunton) and local doctor Molly (Anna Chancellor), who meet up every week and each give the lowdown on their latest dating adventures, many of them have ended in disaster. Kate has just got over a big operation removing an ovarian cyst, and she hasn't been dating a lot, but all that changes when she falls for twentysomething church organist Jed (Kenny Doughty), who was a former student at her school. They become more and more of an item, and they plan to get married, but Janine and Molly are dubious of Jed, and try to convince Kate he's no good, but she's made her mind up. It's a good comedy-drama which was little seen when it came out, mainly because FilmFour went under, (before it was revived). But our three heroines play off each other well, and there is some good moments in the film. It's a good English comedy which slipped under the radar, but there's not that much to write home about, it's just an amusing piece of fluff.
½ May 18, 2013
Good film, well acted with a good ending... Not outstanding but worth a watch.
October 16, 2012
A strange film that errs more towards drama than the promised comedy.
May 24, 2012
Loved it, in spite of Andie MacDowell's accent. Imelda Staunton and Anna Chancellor are just fab. Watch it. Now.
½ May 12, 2012
Sex in the City English village style. Neither Andie McDowell or Imelda Staunton make a convincing Headmistress or Police Chief, although this is not important to the plot.
February 16, 2012
Hauska ja koskettavakin kertomus kolmen nelikymppisen sinkkunaisen ystävyydestä... (Suom. Surkeiden sinkkujen seura)
July 10, 2011
This movie keeps you guessing. I was surprised a lot. Great, well written, well acted, sweet movie. Very realistic too, which was the best thing about it.
June 6, 2011
This movie pleasantly surprised me. At first I wasn't impressed, but the story got better and better, and totally had me hooked. It could be considered a chick flick - the movie revolves around 3 best friends who try to out-do eachother with their sad romance stories - the winner gets a box of chocolate. It was a very cute, but sad, movie. I would recommend this movie, at least for a one time watch. It was very enjoyable and had all kinds of emotions involved. Well played by the actors too :)
½ August 20, 2010
Spare yourself unless you're a middle-aged woman with a predilection for cheesy, bad movies.