Crush - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Crush Reviews

½ August 7, 2014
The ending was not at all satisfying. The "twist" wasn't much of a surprise and the cheesy play for a sequel was unnecessary.
August 7, 2013
Wednesday, August 7, 2013

(2009) Crush
DRAMA/ HORROR

Top student and overall great athlete of martial arts tournaments, Julian played by Christopher Egan does a favor for an acquaintance to look after someone's luxurious house full of security cameras. But before the family goes away for a vacation, the father then notifies him that he's expecting his niece to stop by for a swim without even telling him her name. One day, Julian sees this teenage girl Anna (Emma Lung) sunbathing by the pool and assumes that she is probably guy's niece and he becomes infatuated with her even though he already has a girlfriend. His life then goes into a downward spiral as a result of being infatuated with her. The movie starts off okay since it's like a reminiscent of a 1993 movie starring Alicia Silverstone also called "Crush" until it processes further which some viewers might be able to figure out the irony even before it happens.

Upon watching this film it reminded me about a bad dream with inconsistencies and hard to ignore them such as if Anna wasn't related to the family since she also carries the family keys, what the hell is she doing in all of those pictures- the movie never addresses this. Also, how come he never uses his martial arts on her since she was coming after him with a knife. What's the deal about this particular Australian household also needing keys from the inside and not just the out. Why wasn't Anna also pursuing the family or family members and just random strangers or was she someone he could create from the figment of his imagination! Had Julian ever viewed the security cameras at all to see if Anna ever come up, and how come he doesn't invite his other friends to show them what this Anna look like? This movie raises more questions then it gives us any answers.

2 out of 4 stars
May 29, 2013
with slow-pacing, nonsense story, and a dull climax...it's such a shame to even classify this film as either horror or drama...it rather belongs in boredom genre [D]
½ April 25, 2013
creepy horror movie who gives cold ants on your back even in the end. end without good victory over evil.
September 22, 2012
good movie.. though the ending could have been better written..
July 14, 2012
Piece of creepy a** crap weird
½ May 28, 2012
An okay film. Slow start, fast finish. When the plot is revealed within the last half hour, it leaves you saying WTF? Although I have to say Anna made a pretty gross, scary looking ghost.
½ April 26, 2012
This movie is beyond bad. It is a miracle that it was allowed to be put into production.

Stamp of judgement: Epic fail
February 1, 2012
Safe to say one of my favorite horror movies.
September 18, 2011
I did not c the twist coming. Good thriller
July 17, 2011
Tries to play different but bad acting and bad characters kills it. Crush tries to bring some fresh air to the table because of a weird twist.
July 3, 2011
This is Fatal Attraction mixed with Nightmare on Elm Street. Very cheezy and weird, but it wasn't the worst thing I have ever watched.
½ June 5, 2011
Not what I thought it would be like.
½ May 26, 2011
why did i watch this ? who knows,it sucked hard,,,,low budget , Beware !!!
½ April 3, 2011
nice B movie with potential. too bad that its corrupted with bad acting and action scenes.
March 20, 2011
The Aussies have upped their game filmwise the last two years. While this is good and creepy, I couldnt help but think 'why didnt he just bugger off and leave the house or just give the bitch a slap?'...until the ending.
January 9, 2011
Let's recap, shall we? Boy meets girl. Boy falls under girl's spell, despite having a much cuter, much better girlfriend. Girl goes evil and kills everyone. Okay, that's not QUITE what happens in this movie, but it's close enough. The only reason I even let this movie play through until the end was because I was doing other things and it was background noise. This is terrible.
January 5, 2011
Every once in a while I stumble across a random movie on TV and watch it just because. I was channel-surfing today when I found this one on TMC (The Movie Channel). It's a decent low-budget thriller about an American student studying in Australia who gets seduced by a mysterious mentally unhinged girl while house-sitting for a rich family.

Needless to say, the script by John V. Soto [who co-directed this film along with Jeffrey Gerritsen] wasn't very original [check the tagline..."Attraction can be Fatal"]. Some of the main plot points reminded me of "Swimfan" [which was basically an updated teen version of "Fatal Attraction"] and "Swimming Pool"...for different reasons, it's kind of ironic that the names of those two movies are similar. The film as a whole had a very American feel to it except for the ending which was obviously inspired by Japanese/Korean thrillers. I find it kind of odd that two people directed this...two people definitely weren't necessary, perhaps one of them dropped out in the middle of filming...which would explain why the film seemed a bit conflicted.

Good cinematography by Richard Malins. Decent score by Jamie Blanks [who directed the horror-flicks "Urban Legend" and "Valentine"]. Good music choices by music supervisor Kim Green ("The Bank Job"), the songs used definitely made this feel like an American film. Great performances by Christopher Egan ("Home and Away", "Eragon", "Letters to Juliet")...he definitely sold me as someone whose life is crashing down around him, Emma Lung ("The Jammed")...she played a good psycho, and Brooke Harman ("Ned Kelly"). Good supporting performances by Christian Clark ("Home and Away"), Kane Manera ("Guiding Light"), Kerry-Ella McAullay, and Jenna Lind...she was the sexiest woman in this movie [it's a shame she didn't have much screen-time]. Overall it was an entertaining and somewhat compelling suspense-flick with a good twist [even though the build-up wasn't as effective as it could have been, in hindsight the twist was foreshadowed quite often], it's nothing special but it's worth a viewing if you're easily frightened.
½ December 29, 2010
December 16, 2010
So this started out as a Swimfan 2.0 as it seemed to borrow many aspects from that film, however it certainly didn't end up the same way as it turned into a supernatural mess. Acting was bad enough despite having decent actors, but that was possibly because they were working with a pretty dodgy script. Emma Lung, who plays the evil Anna, was very dull and nowhere as evil as she could have been. Overall I can't say I was disappointed because I wasn't expecting much anyway. Poor effort.