Cry of the Owl - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Cry of the Owl Reviews

½ December 18, 2015
It will feel slow and anti-climactic to many, but anything else would be outside the spirit of this little gem. Spoilers ahead.

It has a lot of awkwardness about it--one of the twists is when a stalker is discovered by the chick he's stalking--only for her to begin stalking him. The characters are awkward people in awkward situations, the mood is a bit depressing and never really uplifts.

The movie is bizarre for it's characters and their interactions, but strangely never stirs too much emotion either up or down. As great as it is to feel intensely happy, sad, angry, etc... this film is sort of numbing, nihilistic (in a good way) which I find an equally valuable feeling.
July 26, 2015
Im not sure why this has such terrible reviews? I actually quite enjoyed it. It is an odd film and I think it could have been better... there was a lot that could've been done with this material but I think this interpretation misses the mark quite a lot. However it does have great atmosphere and is gripping. Relentlessly depressing though... and it feels like beyond pure ambiance there was supposed to be some sort of point that isn't expressed well enough for the audience to 'get'... ive not read the book so im not sure but I assume something of the novel has been lost.
½ September 12, 2013
An almost perfect Highsmith adaptation--Intelligently Crafted Melancholic Thriller!!
½ March 15, 2013
There must be something 'good' in this movie, because it most certainly managed to draw me into its story. But at the same time I cannot disregard the utter incoherence and in the end, rather pointless ending. It felt as if half the plot necessary to understand what I just saw somehow went missing.
½ December 23, 2012
Terrible film that I'm still trying to figure out what it was about...
November 3, 2012
This starts off really interesting, and then just gets monotonous for the last half hour or so. I love Julia Stiles and the overall premise is interesting, but there comes a point where you just want it to be over.
½ October 20, 2012
I don't quite understand, but some things indeed don't need any explanation. Good nuff.
October 12, 2012
This movie wasn't for me. I got so bored that I skipped over parts and even then I still knew what was going on. Some people may like this type of movie, but if you get bored easily, I don't recommend seeing it. It might put you to sleep.
June 14, 2012
this movie was average it could of been better The ending left me wondering what was going to happen, the acting was good but the story-line wasn't that intense or thrilling to me. except for one scene that involves a dog licking blood.
½ May 13, 2012
It does have some good scenes and suspenseful moments, but it just gets a little too much as it progresses.
½ April 29, 2012
I didn't like the lead actor in this. I found he was extremely unlikeable. The movie was alright. It wasn't painful to watch or anything. Weird sense of humor. One word to describe this movie: Bizarre.
April 15, 2012
I am enjoying this thoroughly awful movie!
February 23, 2012
i know i've said this b4 but i love 2 watch something i know nothing about like this murder mystery from the lady who wrote 'the talented mr. ripley"
½ February 7, 2012
Another film that will blow your mind and not in a good way.
½ December 16, 2011
Moderately diverting.
I liked the part where Considine fights with the boyfriend, who then goes missing.
It looks like the bf committed suicide in the river and I thought, "My god, how can this not look like murder?"
Interesting scenario, maybe more could have been done with it.
A curious little flight of fancy; worthy of the journey, if a little dark.
½ December 14, 2011
Neuvjerljivi svi osim mene. Bzvz, troak vremena.
December 10, 2011
I think that I am going to have to pass on this one. Even though I want to give it a chance because of the cast it just doesn't sound watchable.
½ November 29, 2011
Okay, so this woman catches a creep watching her outside her house. He's been watching her for a while. She KNOWS he's been watching her for a while. Not only does she decide she wants to get to know him better, she breaks up with her boyfriend, and SHE starts actually stalking the creep! That's even creepier and sicker than what he was doing.
½ November 14, 2011
22 February 2011

You know when you watch a movie and at the end you think what was the point...it was a "nothingness" movie,filmed and acted good but thats it...this was one of those movies. Its a remake of a French movie that was based on a book...betting you the French version and the book are better...well lets face it they could not be worse. I am glad i only paid 1 for this because i already feel robbed.