Cuckoo - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Cuckoo Reviews

May 15, 2012
I expected more from this film.
½ May 3, 2012
Psychological thriller based in London following the steps of Polly, a nurse with a weird boss, an over present sister and a precarious relationship with her boyfriend Chapman. Polly starts to hear voices in her flat and wonders about her mental health.
This is a pointless waste of time. I cannot understand the characters actions and reactions, the plot is flawed, plus the script is painfully slow and that is an absolute kill joy in a thriller. Do not watch this movie except if you have problems falling asleep, this might actually do the trick. I do appreciate Richard E. Grant‚(TM)s efforts to make the story believable but at the end the whole of the film is senseless and quite boring, after the first few minutes you do not longer care about the voices or the hospital, or any of the characters. It all has all an impression of a group of actors that got together at somebody‚(TM)s shabby flat and decided to make a movie over the weekend. Very disappointing.
November 21, 2011
Predictable, if passable British thriller that has more brains and style than your usual Low budget Brit affair but what it has in effective claustrophobia, atmospheric performances and ambition it sadly lacks in pay-off, with a somewhat bizarre and incredulous finale. Richard E. Grant is excellent though.
October 28, 2011
I expected more from this film.
September 26, 2011
Absolute and utter CRAP! Pick a wall in your house, paint it then watch it dry and youll enjoy it more than this movie.
September 11, 2011
Turned if off after half an hour. The acting seemed stilted and the dialogue poor. I couldn't be bothered to wade through the final hour.
½ August 21, 2011
The first 25 minutes was so outrageously dull that I couldn't bear to watch any more
½ January 5, 2011
Yet another British thriller that seems to think that atmosphere and being "artsy" is more important than delivering any thrills. A lecturer has the hots for his new protege, but is he secretly stalking her in his spare time? Trust me, after 30 minutes you really wont care
½ December 17, 2010
Presumably aiming for "Repulsion" a la Shyamalan, with a hint of Lynch in the mix. While the result has a muted, contained visual style in its favour, "Cuckoo" drags its feet something terrible, and the interest in London as a location so central to the director's debut has gone: what's left behind is mostly airless - an experiment for the filmmakers themselves, perhaps - with characters who rattle round as though in a bell jar. Of these, Fraser has but the one note of perturbation to play on throughout, and there's just too much going on around the actress for her to make much of an impression with it. Grant pushes tentatively towards camp, while Greig, fast becoming the go-to gal for the British film industry's least thankful roles, hangs around the lab in trousers with nothing more to do than emit a nervy eccentricity: like much else in a film that employs a can of Red Bull and a rogue harmonica as MacGuffins, she doesn't seem to know whether she should be going for funny-strange or funny ha-ha. In that indecision, "Cuckoo" falls apart, though it may not matter unduly - Bracewell is reportedly shooting his third feature as I write, reuniting the stars of "The Gigolos". Let's hope it finds the director back in more assured territory.