Curling - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Curling Reviews

½ March 11, 2016
I believe this film had true potential to be good, but unfortunately it fell flat and ridiculous in its unnecessary attempt for a Cohen-like scenario...
½ November 13, 2015
The story of a father and a daughter, living alone in a cold place somewhere in the French speaking parts of Canada. The father is working two jobs, two rather poor jobs, while his daughter don't attend school since he think it's for the better. The small family is weird and unsocial. They are not crazy but the lack something that the rest of people have. They are also extremely shy and uninteresting. Something happen and that makes the father in need of getting away from it all. At the same time the daughter find a bunch of bodies in the woods. That should make it more interesting, but it just seem to happen with an open message for the viewer - or it's just "forgotten" or left out from the plot after a while. We get many interesting things like this in the film, really. I can't descide if I like it.

Anyhow, open ends here, but your head can connect some of the dots - making it a story with many opertunities. It's quite nice, but there may be a bit too many questions here. What are they relationship really like? Does he treat her as a prisoner? Or even worse? We never know.

Unorthodox, kind of like "Dogtooth" - but not as stylich or shocking. It also has the oldest-looking bowling alley in the world. That's pretty cool.

Not for everyone, and I don't know if it was for me either. But I'm sure it will stay with my mind for a while - not visually, but it's mysteriousness. That's a very good thing and it lift's the score.

7 out of 10 unfresh princes in Bel-Aire.
½ May 27, 2015
Dull and flat and boring. Literally put me to sleep.
½ February 15, 2014
A very strange film. Not The Naked Lunch kind of strange but extremely open ended to the point where we never saw the end coming. A strange character film but yeah.. Still interesting.
½ October 24, 2012
Beaucoup trop Útrange.
½ March 11, 2012
Jutra 2012. Froid et silencieux. Superbe direction photo. Belle performance des Bilodeau. Film d'atmosph├Ęre, faut ├¬tre dans cet ├ (C)tat d'├óme sinon, c'est long.
½ February 4, 2012
scenario bien foutu mais ca manque de rythme
December 29, 2011
I heard of this movie during viff and wanted to see it, seeing it now I am disappointed, I like quiet dry movies as long as there is something to it. There is nothing to this movie but a hot girl I. A bowling alley and a tiger in someone's backyard in the middle of winter. This movie irritated the fuck out of me.
September 26, 2011
wow...intense. i need me more of an ending though...something...please.
July 25, 2011
A selection of Portishead at their All Tomorrow's Parties curation, it made for a very chilled out break on a hot and heavy day. I kinda liked it, despite it being as partially comprehensible as the Quebecois it's spoken in. Ultimately the characters illuminate the need for education as their lack of it limits their effectiveness, relevance and ability to cope even in this straightforward world - a closed, cold, insular, survival based existence. Winters Bone provides worthy comparison, it's not as strong but it is fascinatingly morally ambiguous, has a classic script which knows when to introduce character and energy but I struggle to really get excited about yet another wilderness indie film made by very educated folk who want other educated folk to get gooey over simpletons. Pas mal or whatever the Quebec equivalent of that is.
March 28, 2011
Enigmatic film about a man in rural Quebec living with his daughter who he has tried to shield from the outside world. Similar in theme to DOGTOOTH but more rooted in reality, paints a portrait of an ordinary man futilely trying to protect his child. Quiet and thoughtful, a bit aimless, but carries the melancholy weight of a parent's fear for their children in a dangerous world.
½ March 23, 2011
At first blush a tale about a paranoid father and repressed daughter on the fringes of society in a remote part of Canada gradually reconnecting with the world around them, this is given a macabre spin by the lonely girl's connection to a mysterious group of corpses she finds in the woods nearby, and various acts of violence occurring off camera that lend some rationality to the father's shunning of society. An essentially simple premise given a touch of the weird like a Mike Leigh and David Lynch collaboration, and enlivened by splendid performances throughout, this will be quite unlike any other film you are likely to see this year.
½ January 21, 2011
I kept expecting things to turn weird or creepy; there's an unexplained pile of corpses, after all.