Curling King (Kong Curling) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Curling King (Kong Curling) Reviews

½ December 29, 2014
Picked it up at TV thirty minutes in or so I never got into the story completely but I probably figured it. The story is not the most vital thing here anyhow, but it's about the laughs. And it does give me some laughs. Some characters are very cool. The no sleep-guy and the Stefan-character are my favorites. Satirical film that's on point at times and it's the closest thing to "The Big Lebowski" that I've seen in the Norwegian movie business

5 out of 10 lints.
½ January 1, 2014
I almost pied my pants laughing because of the bird watcher after a couple of minutes, but then I saw Else Kaas Furuseth and thought "hell no"! Nevertheless, I continued to watch, and it proved quite entertaining. Funny.
½ October 29, 2012
Charming off-kilter Norwegian comedy in the vein of Kingpin, except it's curling rather than bowling that ties this together. It's nothing particularly original but it works well and gets the laughs.
½ July 4, 2012
I guess there's never been a film that is dedicated to the highly underrated sport called curling, to bad that the film with the word "king" in it, is barely about the sport itself but rather focuses on a fruit push of crazy curling players in their time of. The plot isn't anything new, it's actually so cliche that I would had left the theater right away. It's the story about the retired curling player Truls Paulsen (Atle Antonsen) who's discover that his mentor, Gordon is dying of cancer, so he decides to get back the old curling team in order to win the curling tournament to get the money for Gordon's operation.

The problem with this movie is that it's to many subplots about the players, and neither of these stories has nothing to do with curling. Just to mention one stupid of these stories, is when one of the players hasn't slept for weeks, but then decides to clear up with his father who left him as a child just to end up as a David Bowie impersonator. I wish that it would be more about the sport itself, and how it effects the people on the times of. I did laugh some times though, specially when it comes to the sports scenes, but other wise it's full of internal Norwegian jokes that might not appeal to foreign audience.

Kong Curling is another example of how Americanized norwegian movies are today, with an unoriginal plot, cheese characters, including a midget. It's also full of product placement, like Clas Oslon, and even Pepsi. This is also a heavily campaigned film that have been thrown into people every where. The film production in Norway has never been as high as it is right now with an production with over 25 movies each year, which have also created a big competition marked that force some of the movie to use product placement and heavy campaigns in order to sell their movies, no matter how bad the story is. A big thumbs down from me.
May 31, 2012
A fun take on Norwegian stoicism and quirkiness seen through the lens of curling. Bizarre characters and fine physical acting by all.

Fascinating that you can take "too serious" as a Norwegian trait and make humor out of it, but that is exactly what happens in this farce. In the tradition of Dodgeball or The Big Lebowski, this comedy features a sport, but don't really spend a lot of time playing that game. Instead we get to see the parade of misfits that circle the altar of competition.

Antonsen plays it serious, yet fierce, and drives the story (which he also wrote), while Conradi is his twitchy rival who makes the lamest in-your-face gestures known to man. Also of note is the controlling wife played by Torp, who gives us many hilarious moments.
May 26, 2012
Funny enough loser to winner campy comedy
May 24, 2012
Watch this at SIFF and absolutely LOVED this movie.
½ March 31, 2012
Without a doubt the best Norwegian movie on curling ever made. Even funnier than the Canadian movie Men With Brooms. Nice soundtrack too.
March 3, 2012
Chock full of kooky but endearing characters with just the right level of zaniness and physical humor. This reminded me a bit of "Dodgeball."
December 19, 2011
Litt småartig denne
½ December 3, 2011
Morsom hele veien gjennom.
October 23, 2011
A pastel -coloured crowd pleaser - who would have thought OCD and the sport of curling can be funny? And in Norwegian to boot? But I cant help but think would I have find it as funny and appealing if it wasnt in a foreign language and starred the mugging face of Rowan Atkinson?