Curse of the Swamp Creature - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Curse of the Swamp Creature Reviews

½ April 27, 2016
If you have a sense of humor, this disaster is chock full of comedy, from the ridiculous plot line, hilarious bad acting, and wacky turns of events, I'd have to say its a pretty entertaining grade Z film. If you are looking for Citizen Kane, look elsewhere. But if you are a fan of so bad they are good movies, its worth a whirl!
April 15, 2015
Terrible plot and acting to boot. The star is for the last 5 minutes when the creature is actually seen.
½ March 7, 2015
Sigh - not really even an interesting B. The best part was how they shot the "alligator enclosure" which really was just an enclosed swimming pool. Minutes of swamp "nature" footage accompanied by diabolic music. Leave it on the shelf.
January 28, 2014
Cheap, boring, dumb, silly, ridiculous. Basically the usual Larry Bunchanan stuff. It's pretty slow, and the goofy looking monster doesn't really show up until the end for little purpose. Stiff dialog and pointless scenes throughout, it's pretty much what one would expect.
December 14, 2013
½ June 2, 2012
Not the greatest of movies, and if I recall, you really don't see the creature until toward the end of the film. What a bummer.
July 11, 2010
"To create life, to move it up and down the evolutionary path...that's something. Something I don't think you quite appreciate, Tom."

It only took me a few seconds of watching the preview of Curse of the Swamp Monster to know that this was going to be must-see, comic gold. And it was. It's hard to believe that something this terrible was made intentionally, but against all reason, logic, and common sense, it was.

The only possible point to watching this would be to laugh. The absurdly unintentional humor of it all is its only merit. If you want to start your own personal Mystery Science Theater party, this is a great movie to get you going. Awful acting. A nonsensical plot. No production values whatsoever. Everything about it is laughable, right down to the sinister, talkative scientist with his comically large dark glasses and his borderline retarded plan to do...something or other. I was never quite sure. It involved evolution, swamps, tubes, and turtle snacks, that's for certain.

The absolute best part about this monster movie, is that the titular swamp monster only shows up for about 3 minutes at the very end. Which is fortunate, in a way, because the monster's "costume" is one of the stupidest and least threatening "designs" that I've ever seen in my life. And no explanation is ever made about what happens to it, we're just given a quick and tidy ending that completely ignored most of the plot threads that preceded it. Brilliant! I'll take a horribly bad movie over a horribly boring one, any day.
½ December 13, 2009
The interiors may be the most repulsive ever seen on film. The MST3K ridicule factor here is like shooting swamp creatures in a barrel, even if the eponymous creature, a "beautiful indestructible fish man" only turns up ten minutes before the end. Stupefying.
July 19, 2008
I know this was suppose to be scary but I found it a little bit funny and very sad.
½ May 21, 2008
Starts off promising with a good location and a solid plot set-up, but the whole thing goes nowhere. The movie drags for a long time, abandoning the main characters for awhile as we see the evil doctor perform experiments with less equipment than a high school science lab. The biggest problem, though, is that there is no pay-off. The title promises a swamp creature but the beast appears in less than five-minutes of this overly-long garbage. Even those looking for a cheap, campy monster film will be disappointed by this. Avoid at all costs.
½ May 13, 2008
In actuality, it has very little to do with curses or swamp creatures. That hilarious looking beat on the front only shows up during the last five minutes. I don't know what the bigger atrocity is; that this film was made or that I watched it.
February 12, 2008
I seem to recall that even when we were nine years old, watching this on _Creature Feature_ in Cincinnati, we knew it stunk. I can't believe they don't have Buchanan's even-worse _Attack of The The Eye Creatures_ (not MY typo!) on here. Ah Larry! Even the film stock seems to have had a slightly oily sheen to it.
January 10, 2008
Want to see it, looks hilariously bad.