Curse of Alcatraz - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Curse of Alcatraz Reviews

January 27, 2014
What a great idea for a movie, a supernatural horror flick, that was actually filmed at Alcatraz prison. There were a dozen ways to make this film work, even on a shoestring budget, unfortunately they didn't use any of them. The story begins with a construction crew doing renovations on the old prison, which is now a national park. The team uncovers a sealed off room and when they begin digging, they find human remains. Did the body belong to a guard or a prisoner? No, they belong to Native American, who would have died long before the prison opened, but was somehow found inside this room. After a long period of non-sense, it is discovered that the body is cursed, and causes anyone who comes in contact with it, to go on a killing spree. This could have been a great mystery about some crime at the prison that was never known or solved. Maybe it could have been a good ghost story, but no, it had to be some weird possession story, that made no sense what-so-ever. The story starts out interesting, but quickly becomes a complete joke. The writing is horrendous and performed by a less than adequate cast. The only name of recognition was Jose Solano, a soap actor, who was on Baywatch the last couple of seasons. For some reason, he is in a wheelchair and does nothing but joke about being crippled. Sometimes really bad Horror films can get away with cheesy acting and a bad story, as long as they make you laugh, but there is nothing funny about this movie. Even though it has a creepy cover and was filmed in a really cool location, Curse of Alcatraz fails to deliver and is a complete waste of time.
September 10, 2012
Low budget and dreadful.
½ February 26, 2012
Totally disappointing :|
October 8, 2011
The full star is for the great shots of Alcatraz.
½ June 20, 2011
meh it was ok there is a head smashing scene that is awesome
January 18, 2010
I was fooled by the cover art into thinking this movie would be entertaining but I was painfully mistaken. The voices of the "actors" are barely audible at times, the picture was way too dark and the kill scenes were bland . Every aspect of this movie seems watered down and dull.
November 1, 2009
Not very good, filmed on 20$ budge.
September 28, 2009
The remains of an ancient native American starts this story off and ends with the violent and at moments confusing tale of how science and the mystical can sometimes meet. Good enough to keep you guessing a bit! It is rated R.
September 7, 2009
I can't believe this horrible movie still got a 3 here. I should be punished for taking it from Blockbuster's shelf... I can't rent movies by myself anymore.
July 29, 2009
it's good for a low budget film if u have no expectations! Llast 30 minutes was the only thing worth seeing... but not again
June 17, 2009
la pelicula la pricion de alcatraz es buena
½ March 5, 2009
LAME!!!! i give it a b-
February 26, 2009
This is a good flick if you're trying to 'get away' from the daily situation, ... otherwise, it'd be a boring slasher film.
The plot runs smooth and the characters cover the gambit. Following the cast-aways, the dark and grainy takes over the enjoyment effect.
Anyhow, a very solid three. If I would have had to watch the last thirty minutes, this would have gone a 3.5 or maybe a 4.0.
½ January 25, 2009
Kept us laughing, even though it was not meant to be a comedy. The nudity scene was totally unnecessary. The setting was cool. They tried at least. Seems like they are setting up for a Curse of Alcatraz 2. Look for it coming straight to DVD soon.
½ November 9, 2008
I didn't even bother watcing this all the way through. I thougt it was way too boring.
½ October 24, 2008
Back in the day style joint. Remind me of an old Black and White horror flick
½ October 10, 2008
I LIKED THE MOVIE. I WOULD SEE IT AGAIN. IN FACT I SAVED IN FAVORITES! WATCH IT IF YOU LIKE TO BE SCARED!
October 7, 2008
Lame! Bad music and pathetic acting attempts.
½ September 15, 2008
It started out okay, but went downhill after that. Low budget movie not worth watching unless you're just bored.
½ August 1, 2008
It was a pretty stupid movie, still a creepy place. What a crazy enviornment for any kind of scary event to happen...