The Curse of Bigfoot Reviews

• Jan 22, 2019

This film began life in 1958 as a student-made short. It was pretty much what you would expect from such a venture: a clichà (C)d script rife with plot holes, acting as bad as a military training film, ultra-cheap special effects, half-assed photographyâ¦. You get the idea. Now fast-forward 17 years, when the original film was tacked on to footage from an equally bad Bigfoot docudrama and sold to TV as a 90-minute feature. The "new" film starts with a narrative about the earliest rumblings of man dating back two million or so years. Not only is it badly written, but the forced earnestness of the youthful-sounding narrator makes it hilarious. Next, we cut to a 1975-era high school classroom in which the teacher is (for whatever reason) doing a unit on mythical creatures. This leads to a monologue on Bigfoot with scenes of logging. Why? Because Bigfoot was seen at logging camps in the Pacific Northwest, you big silly! But wait, there's more: if you enjoy drawn-out scenes of touque-topped Canadians walking through the woods, boy, are you in for a treat! And for fans of MST3K, there's even a rock-climbing segment. Once the teacher finishes babbling about the Yeti, he brings in a guest speaker to tell of an experience he had some fifteen years ago. That's when the original film kicks in. The 1958 monster is not actually Bigfoot. It's a ridiculous-looking mummy (with fangs, and a fried egg instead of an eye) that some high school students bring back to life when they dig up a Native American burial ground. (Oops!) The mummy goes on a killing spree becauseâ¦. Well, that's what mummies do, right? The kids call the local sheriff, who is surprisingly quick to believe their story, and go on a manhunt for the creature. They lure it out into the open with meat scraps (don't ask), then toss gasoline on the mummy and set it on fire. It goes up like a charcoal briquette. The end. The film has two female characters who never really do anything. They're just kind of...there. Why? Perhaps they were dating the producer and director, who knows? Also, the "scientific" explanation for the mummy's resurrection really doesn't pass muster. It has something to do with ancient herbs put into the tomb that somehow kept the mummy dormant until our heroes come along. So, does that mean the mummy was buried alive? Who the hell knows? Certainly not the filmmakers. Somebody thought it was a good idea to pad out a 17-year-old film-club project and put it on TV. Of course, it was 1975 and drug use was pervasive. Maybe that explains it.

• Dec 13, 2013

Messy film, it can't seem to decide what it wants to be. The plot doesn't really go or end anywhere, and the characters are bleak. Bigfoot looks awful. Cheap, dumb, fun.

• Apr 12, 2013

What the heck did I just watch? I found it difficult to give this movie a rating. Curse of Bigfoot is probably THE worst movie I've ever seen, and almost none of it is so bad that it's good. There are some moments early on between the teacher and his students that made me laugh, but the movie is just so poorly put together that it's hard to find anything positive to say about it. According to what I've read, the film is an amalgam of two films, with one specifically an older film called Teenagers Battle the Thing, which makes a little bit more sense when you realize that almost none of this film has anything to do with Bigfoot whatsoever. It's more about a mummy coming back to life, and about a professor talking to his students about humans impacting the environment. It's a pretty boring and awful movie overall. I know that Rifftrax has covered the movie and I look forward to what they have to say about it. Hopefully something that makes it a little more worthwhile, because as is, it's a complete and utter exercise in bad filmmaking.

• Jan 07, 2013

A story within a story within a story as told by a teacher to his bored students leads to the introduction of a clearly unstable man who begins to relate to the students about how he and some students met bigfoot. Then an unrelated monster movie is shown. Yep. That's the curse of Bigfoot, apparently.

• Jan 05, 2011

A hilariously inept patchwork "movie," carelessly editing footage from what appears to be three completely different movies together (all three of them bad). The bigfoot, when it finally appears, is a guy in a raggedy gorilla suit with what appears to be a crude, half-melted papier mache mask. There is virtually no story, unless you consider "dumb, indistinct kids get killed one by one by bigfoot" a story. Be forewarned; it's not all funny cheese. There are excruciating, dull stretches of nothing in this movie as well.

• Dec 04, 2010

Frankly it's the worst Bigfoot movie ever made my favourite night of the demon is the best ever. I am one of those rare Australians that think Bigfoot is real and of course he is real but to me this is one of the most pointless and boring films I have ever seen. All I want Bigfoot to do is rip someone's head off. A college Biology class receives a visitor, who is a good friend of their teacher. He tells them of an encounter that he and their teacher had 20 years before while searching for Indian artefacts in the nearby mountains. They find a mummified corpse in a cave that resembles a rough-hewn statue. The mummy is brought back to their lodge and breaks out of its wrappings. It goes on a short rampage in what appears to be an orchard. The humans gather together to stop the creature before it can kill any one. Let me start by saying the story is pointless it's just so boring and lame JUST KILL HIM ALREADY that's all I say. The acting is okay and then to bad, the scenery is really good that's the only good thing about this movie. The music is bad and the editing and Bigfoot looks shit. Here is a fact I found The film is an expanded version of the 1958 film Teenagers Battle the Thing. The two stars from the original appear as adults in the opening scene of the 1978 film. The rest of Curse of Bigfoot consists of the entire 1958 film seen as a flashback. Overall my final verdict is don't see it. No die hard Bigfoot fan should watch it (Like myself).