The Curse of Frankenstein - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Curse of Frankenstein Reviews

½ March 12, 2013
Great and wonderful British/Hammer style Frankenstein horror classic! I saw it very first time on Blu-ray and I loved it! Christopher Lee played the Creature, he was very creepy and scary!!! Great horror, suspense and humor, this is one of the best Hammer movies ever made! and almost 60 years old! I can't believe it!!!
½ February 25, 2013
Gore and absolutely terrefic horror with the loveable Peter Chusing as Vicotr Frankenstein, a perfect fit and a absolute one favorite to see.
February 20, 2013
Love this movie. Peter Cushing does a great job.
February 10, 2013
The starting point for the hammer horror films. A newly reinvigorated take on the 'Frankenstein' tale with the great Peter Cushing as Victor and Christopher Lee as the Creature. It was a breakthrough picture for the studio and of course sequels would be churned out as a result. However, I found this take on Frankenstein to be too dull and less interesting as future predecessors of the same tale have done with it much better (especially some of the sequels).
February 2, 2013
Frankenstein's Monster returns to life in astonishing COLOR! THE CURSE OF FRANKENSTEIN is a monumental landmark in the annals of Horror cinema. As Hammer Film Production's first color picture, it shocked the world with a putrid display of blood, gore, and erotic fantasy. It would be despised by critics as such, however the impact this would have on the genre is unmistakeable. CURSE not only launched the career of television actor Peter Cushing into super-stardom, but also introduced the world to Christoper Lee as the horrifying Monster. This would be the first of many villains that Lee would play for the studio, including his versions of Dracula and The Mummy that soon would follow. In the coming years, the names Christopher Lee and Peter Cushing would rival even the great Vincent Price as two of the genre's most recognizable faces. Here, it is Peter Cushing who steals every scene as the headstrong Baron Victor Frankenstein, a man blinded by ambition and his thirst for knowledge. Cushing is simply thrilling as the Baron, becoming the true villain of the picture through the ghoulish dedication to his work and the dastardly lengths that he is willing to go 'in the name of science.' Terence Fisher's handling of the material is superb as always, blending the dark Gothic atmosphere and mood with signature amounts of sex and bloody violence. THE CURSE OF FRANKENSTEIN would usher in a new era of Gothic filmmaking throughout the late 1950's and 1960's, and is perhaps the studio's finest film.

-Carl Manes
I Like Horror Movies
December 20, 2012
My second Hammer Horror film. These movies seem more like theater than cinema. This by no means makes it a bad film. I actually love the format, since the caliber of the actors is good.
½ November 11, 2012
The glory Hammer Horror in glorious technicolour. Cushing is on top form here.
½ October 25, 2012
I love all of the Frankenstein films. Although, this was not as memorable and scary as Frankenstein. I still loved The Curse of Frankenstein and I most definately reccomend it.
October 21, 2012
great atmosphere from the score by james bernard and cinematography by jack asher.revisit this halloween
October 20, 2012
The film that made Hammer a global contender and decided their genre from then onwards 'The Curse of Frankenstein' is still one of their best and the first to star both Cushing and Lee. Cushing gives one of his greatest performances here as Victor and although he would repise the role many times this film probably allowed him the greatest range and arc of the whole series. Lee is the mute monster and although he doesn't possess the make-up design of the Universal classics (due to them being copy-righted) his monster is ultimately more terrifying as it actually looks like it has been cobbled together from different bodies. The film still looks great and the focus on the doctor rather than the monster means it sticks pretty closely to the essence of Shelley's original. Hammer would often try to repeat this material with Cushing with mixed results but this should still rank as one of the greats of the British film industry.
½ October 20, 2012
The film that put Hammer Horror on the map. Peter Cushing is the doctor and Christopher Lee is the monster. What else could you want? It's not the best of the many fine Hammer films to come, but it's still a good original retell ing of the Mary Shelly classic.
October 18, 2012
Very interesting stuff from the 50's, a lot more enjoyment then today's horror films.
½ October 17, 2012
pretty good movie not as good as the 1933 frankenstein which this is a remake of.
October 5, 2012
I changed it up from Dracula and went into Hammer's Frankenstein movies. I liked this one except for the design of the monster himself. Christopher Lee looked fine as long as he was under the wrappings, but the big reveal wasn't so scary. The Karloff make-up is iconic and still the best, but Peter Cushing was a fine Doctor Frankenstein.
September 24, 2012
As a massive lover of the Universal Frankenstein, I wasn't sure how much I would enjoy a Hammer adaptation! It wasn't until the monster had escaped and run into the blind man and child that I started to feel more in touch with the film and as the sense of demonic nature of Frankenstein's monster... Several elements of the story I didn't care for so much but it was still a great watch!
½ August 19, 2012
The first of the Hammer films may be the best of the bunch. Cushing gives a fantastic performance as the determined scientist. The film remains believable and therefore frightening. It must have been terrifying back in the 50s. Like in their later Dracula film, the introduction of Christopher Lee as the monster is riveting. Curse remains a worthy adaptation of Shelley's masterpiece.
August 9, 2012
Because Peter Cushing AND Christopher Lee are AMAZING!!!
May 26, 2012
An excellent and epic adaption that makes Hammer 'hammer' the Universal 'Americanized' Dracula films to Hell
May 2, 2012
my personal favorite frankenstein adaptation and another classic by hammer.
½ April 14, 2012
good movie, but mot scary.