Curse of the Black Widow Reviews

• Feb 03, 2014

Movie-of-the-week focusing on a strange series of murders committed by a giant Black Widow spider. *Hope that's not a spoiler. This 70s horror flick was directed by genre king (and underrated) Dan Curtis, yet, lacks the allure of his Night Stalker, Dracula and other efforts. Decent popcorn movie that plays like an episode of Magnum P.I. only with less T. C. and instead, more hairy things than should be allowed on screen (even in the 70s). Lots of stars at least with the transformation sequence holding a kitschy charm. Plays like a story from the old Eerie or Creepy mags.

• May 13, 2013

PI Higby enters a web of mystery surrounding a series of grisly killings linked to a woman who transforms herself into a giant black widow spider(!). Reliable cast attempts to give this story any measure of crediblity. Another bit of camp from TV movie stalwart Dan Curtis for the ABC Movie of the Week. Worth it to see Franciosa confront a giant prop spider in the climax.

• Oct 20, 2012

"Curse of the Black Widow" is a tedious, cheaply made horror/thriller that delivers no scares and little suspense. The film feels like the writer had a werewolf story and a murder mystery plot, mixed the two together and replaced the word "wolf" with "spider" to try and be original. Many of the interesting plot points are off-screen and the characters act stupidly, making the film often quite dull and frustrating. The film is laughably bad when we finally see the giant spider at the end of the film and is overall a terrible attempt at a horror story due to its "G" rating (which means no scenes of seduction or spider-related deaths). (VHS, October 19, 2012)

• Jan 24, 2011

A veritable parade of stars fills this 70s TV movie about a woman who, when angry or outraged, turns into a spider. Well, first she turns into one of her split personality "alters," THEN she turns into a spider. All I know is Pinky Tuscadero yells every one of her lines as if it's a teleplay for the deaf.

• jay n Super Reviewer
    Nov 18, 2010

Preposterous junk that marked a low point for many of the performers herein and the TV movie format as well.

• Sep 12, 2010

I remember only bits of watching this film in the early years a but what I could remember is this a pretty good film for it's time and very scary I think the woman doing the killing hand two belly buttons which I believe one was hers the other was for the Giant Black Widow she was able to transform into to kill her unlucky victims, it was good film quite scary too.

• Aug 17, 2010

Good cast, a few chills, funky music, and a decent looking spider can't save this otherwise dull, forgettable film that attempts the tongue in cheek humor of the Kolchak movies, but fails. I love those 1970s made for TV Horror movies, but this one is skippable.