The Curse of the Cat People - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Curse of the Cat People Reviews

May 20, 2016
I just loved this very unique and magical film. Ann Carter gives one of the most delightful performances by a child actor I have ever seen. If you accept the fact that it's not a horror film like Cat People was, you're in for a real treat.
May 17, 2016
Exciting story line, fabulous cinematography, great acting. One of the best and most mysterious films ever made.
April 25, 2016
Best horror sequel of all time. Goddamn masterpiece. Perfect thing. So great. Jesus fuck. Holy shit.
½ June 26, 2015
Unlike it's predecessor, Curse of the Cat People is not a horror film or a thriller. And while it is a sequel, it's also a touching, imaginative, psychological study of a little girl's struggles with loneliness and isolation. Then there's the matter of Irena's spirit, which Amy calls forth through a force of will. One could argue that Irena doesn't really exist, but the evidence is there- and Irena's existence is what gives this story much of its impact.
To fully appreciate what's happening, view the two movies in order. You'll be richly rewarded. Not only is the cinematography stunning and the musical score evocative, but the film is full of touching moments that will pull at the heartstrings of parents and those of us who still do our share of daydreaming. Highly recommended.
½ April 28, 2015
Here's a movie that hasn't got one lick to do with the original, has two very strange stories seemingly distant from each other, and yet, in the end, seems to tie it all together. Very interesting ghost story worthy of a watch, the "cat people" moniker is similar to the "Halloween" in "Halloween III".
November 22, 2014
July 31, 2014
An essay on Lewton and co. is on its way, refer to that when it's posted.
November 19, 2013
Surprising good, despite being totally misunderstood.
½ November 1, 2013
Years after the events of the first film, Ollie and Alice have had a daughter. She is a dreamer, always in her own little world and having trouble distinguishing reality from fairy tales. As her imaginary frieend gets closer, is it the ghost of Elena from Cat People (1943), or is it just her overactive imagination? There is also another plot line about an old woman who refuses to believe her daughter is her daughter, and it makes for a suspenseful ending. This movie is more about childhood psychology rather than horror, and its more of a drama than a thriller.
October 31, 2013
The sequel to the chilling Cat People is a good film but fails to have the impact of the first. If you appreciate the first it's well worth a watch.

This time round the film is through the perspective of the young girl & her strange cat like behaviour. Although the film really lags mid way it kicks into gear in the final act.

The atmosphere in the film is tense & stylish & helps to make the experience more enjoyable since the story is a little uneven to be honest.
½ September 28, 2013
Could've sworn I already reviewed it. Frickin flixster erasing reviews. It is a highly underrated film. Amazing handling of important (& neglected) subject matter. It might be the best film ever made about child psychology. Nothing like the first film. It should be taught at university. In fact, I believe it is.
½ May 24, 2013
Oliver (Kent Smith), still retaining the psychological scars derived from the first movie, is very concerned about his young daughter Amy (Ann Carter). Her aloof disposition, lack of friends, and inability to discern fantasy from reality are all factors that remind him of the tragic end of his first marriage, Worse yet, Amy's loneliness results in her being haunted by the spectre of the doomed Irena (Simone Simon). The Curse of The Cat People isn't really a horror movie as much as it's a fantasy film about a lost child and her ghost friend. While quite unconventional, I found it to be interesting, multifaceted, and even touching.
January 12, 2013
Christmas to Cat People's Halloween.
½ December 8, 2012
While not as visually dynamic or as suspenseful as the original, Curse of the Cat People is a tender, gentler companion piece with beautifully quiet sensibilities.
½ October 7, 2012
I know , I know, I was supposed to see Cat People first. Nevertheless, I very much liked Curse of the Cat People. It was touching, and I liked the undercurrents of horror mixed in with the innocence of this little girl. I'm a little unsure about the twist at the end but overall, I was pleased.
½ May 11, 2012
I liked the beginning a lot, but it didn't seem terribly related to the first film or the whole "cat people" mythos. The ending was a little lame as well. But the little girl acted like a champ!
March 9, 2012
What the frig? I think the writers got a little confused on its subject matter.
February 16, 2012
A psychological sequel to a a horror, and because of this it is very disappointing. There's very little excitement or tension in watching a child's mind being slowly dissected.
January 3, 2012
i really enjoyed this
½ January 2, 2012
this film doesnt live up to its name,it was one of the most pointless films i have ever its too short but it does focus on the imagination of children and how adults question it.but ridiculous and a waste of time on a sunday night