Curse of the Golden Flower - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Curse of the Golden Flower Reviews

April 8, 2017
Visually masterful but the plot and its coherence are lost amid the ostentatious dresses, the exuberant atmosphere and the impressive stages
March 20, 2017
neither good nor bad
February 2, 2017
Chow Yun Fat, the King of Gamblers!!!
March 15, 2016
The lesser of Zhang Yimou's thematic trilogy, 'Curse' is never the less a sumptuous feast for the eyes. Lavish to a fault and exhilarating viewing...shame the whole experience comes off a little hollow. All that glitters indeed...
March 8, 2016
Sumptuous sensory spectacle in every detail from Gong Li's hair ornaments to the gurgle of the medicine pouring into the gilded cup. The Oedipal plot, adapted from Thunderstorm, kept things twisted and interesting but battle scenes were redundant and I lost interest. The fingernail guards the Empress wore might have been anachronistic, as those were fashionable in the late Qing dynasty but this movie was set in the 10th century around the Tang dynasty.
January 30, 2016
Loved it!
Kind of cruel and unbelievable at times, specially at the ending. Great acting.
½ December 10, 2015
Visually stunning, but the first hour of this movie about political and amorous intrigues at the court of the Chinese emperor feels more like an episode of The Bold and the Beautiful than an epic action film. The last half hour is faster paced and more interesting, but not enough to save this Crouching Tiger wanna-be.
November 28, 2015
The always beautiful Gong Li co-stars as the tragic wife of the cruel emperor (Chow Yun Fat),who must tolerate him,then schemes against him.
½ April 3, 2015
Provides a great storyline that grabs your attention and keeps the viewer attached to every minute.
½ April 1, 2015
Mindblowing production values surround a bizarre and perhaps perverse narrative.
½ February 16, 2015
A visual feast and a compelling dynastic drama, but it's short on meaningful action and resolution.

Visually, most of it is utterly lavish and eye-popping. I say most because the cgi armies anf spears aren't really even up to snuff with its 2006 contemporaries. It could try to be more interesting as well. The fights are short and on the flip side, get ready to watch a solid 30 min of these characters traveling down brightly colored palace hallways.

The ending is indeed tragic, but I couldn't help but feel that the villain won. This kind of cheated me of the sensation of resolution.

You have got to hand it to Li Gong, she expertly plays a very complicated character with so many nuances and from so many sides and yet form a cohesive performance. She was excellent. More so than the narrative and movie around her.
Robbanflix
January 2, 2015
This is a movie from the director of Hero and Flying daggers so i thought it might be a good movie and the reviews have been on top. The first half had a slow tempo and i had wanted some more action scenes but more towards the end there was really nice big fights tho. The movie strength are its great and engaging story instead of action. Along with the beautiful setup of the palace , costumes makes it nice to look at. Overall i liked it but i think i prefer a bit more of action. Enjoy
½ December 26, 2014
Curse of the Golden Flower is a decent film. It is about the Chinese emperor has taken the princess of a neighboring province as wife during the Tang dynasty. Chow Yun-Fat and Li Gong give good performances. The screenplay is a little slow in places. Yimou Zhang did an alright job directing this movie. I liked this motion picture because of the drama and romance plus the beautiful costumes.
October 23, 2014
A remarkable film. Its scope its power and its epic scale of history, battle scenes and family betrayal remind me of Kurosawa.
The direction is flawless it brings everything to life, and the acting is superb. Brilliant.
September 4, 2014
A beautifully shot film with vibrant colors and exotic costuming. This is a political drama taking place in the Tang dynasty on the late 900's. The performances are good too. The problem here is the story is too slow, almost to the point of boredom, and long. The palace intrigue picks up as it goes along, but never enough to make up for the snail's pace. Still worth a watch.
August 22, 2014
Probably my favorite Zhang Yimou movie. Beautiful as always and terrible as always.
½ May 13, 2014
Curse of the Golden Flower (2006)

Wow! This movie puts the "E" in epic. Everything is big in this movie; the castle grounds of the Forbidden City, the opulent costumes and furnishings, the well-endowed ladies-in-waiting and the millions of soldiers (maybe a little too many in this category).

The story itself could have been a Greek tragedy or a Shakespearian drama, filled with incest, betrayal, and secrets that cannot be reveled. Chow Yun-Fat as the Emperor Ping is wonderful, and you can't keep your eyes off of the lovely, but tortured Empress Phoenix (Li Gong).
April 6, 2014
Yimou Zhang made a splash in cinema with his superb martial arts films Hero and House Of Flying Daggers. Naturally, after such critical successes and overall success as a film-maker, it was only natural for him to go a grander, more epic scope for his next martial arts film.

However, this film seemed to disappoint many people despite overall decent reception from critics and moviegoers. There were many critics and moviegoers who decried the film as melodramatic, too self indulgent, too excessive in its art style, and also said that it felt too much like a soap opera.

Going into this film, I figured that I would probably enjoy, though I also figured it wouldn't be nearly as good as Hero or House Of Flying Daggers, but I was dead wrong with that thought. I feel that this film is a tremendous triumph for Zhang and I adored every minute of this glorious martial arts epic and drama.

The sheer scope of the film alone is breath-taking, even when you simply look at the set pieces which are stunning and beautiful to look at, but this film is so much more than just some pretty film with the occasional martial arts fight, it is a grand drama with an engaging story that is filled with romance, betrayal, greed, a hunger for power, loss, and sadness.

The plot follows a royal family in which the Emperor is secretly poisoning the empress, three sons vying for rule over the empire, secret romances between Jai and a servant girl, Jai also had a secret relationship with his stepmother, and so much more. The film follows the various characters and their eventual downfall at the hands of their own deeds.

The film feels like a brilliant blend of Shakespearan tragedy, Chinese culture, fantasy, and thrilling martial arts fights all woven together in the form of an opulent, luxurious, engaging, and tremendous film epic that had me gripped from beginning to end. It's a thunderous triumph for the director and one of the most underrated martial arts films of all time. It's one of the greatest martial arts films I've ever seen and I can't recommend it enough to anyone who loves a good epic.
March 13, 2014
This royal family melodrama features lavish costumes and exaggerated visual sequences, with the style and substance of this film both exhilarating and at times overwhelming.