Cut - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Cut Reviews

July 15, 2016
A decent "Scream" rip-off that's worth watching for it's cheesy style and Molly Ringwald's performance.
½ February 13, 2015
As very b grade, low budget slasher movies go, this actually isn't bad. I think it got a bit of an unfair panning.
Honestly I think it is meant to be funny rather than scary.
I saw it on release at the cinema and I don't remember being disappointed at all with it. I have since bought the dvd and rewatched it recently, and still find it not bad.
Admittedly, it owes a lot to Molly Ringwald. Just being fabulous.
Here she plays a fading star, but she's so glamorous with it. And kind of bitchy. Really, even if the movie did suck, it would still be worth watching for her appearance.
The rest of the cast are pretty much unknown Australians. (Aside from Kylie Minogue, who dies very early on). They are not bad for this genre. The actress who plays Hester I thought had a nice quality on screen, pity she seemed to have not done much else.
I don't think it will be the best movie anyone ever watched, but it does have its moments.
November 26, 2014
Favorite slasher flick of the 2000's thumbs
November 5, 2014
Favorite slasher flick of the 2000's thumbs up.
October 28, 2014
Favorite slasher flick of the 2000's thumbs up
October 23, 2014
Favorite slasher of the 2000's thumbs up.
½ March 3, 2014
On the look for a decent late night slasher, one can do a lot worse than "Cut" but would one really want to? The acting is laughable, the photography amateur and annoying, and the characters are too asinine to forgive--for example, one of these characters says. "I want to make a movie scarier than 'Friday the 13th" and as gory as "The Texas Chainsaw Massacre' . . . so, what we have here is writing that tries to be hip like "Scream" by speaking of horror movies only they have no idea what they're saying. "Friday the 13th" is not scary and not known for being frightening and as for "The Texas Chainsaw Massacre" being gory, anyone who has seen it knows it's low on gore, its brilliance is that it hints toward the grotesque rather than depicting the violence. So, those are the characters one has to deal with to make it through and that's the tepid writing and the one and only redeeming element is the killer's mask.
December 3, 2013
Favorite slasher flick of the 2000's thumbs up.
September 11, 2013
Favorite slasher movie of the 2000's the best and 2 thumbs up.
June 10, 2013
Favorite slasher flick of the 2000s 2 thumbs up
June 10, 2013
Favorite slasher flick of the 2000's 2 thumbs up
½ June 5, 2013
Even though Molly Ringwald is it she can't save this Aussie disaster piece
February 24, 2013
Kylie Minogue is in this??

Yeah, still don't want to see it.
November 22, 2012
Favorite kick ass slasher flick of the millenium year 2000. 2 thumbs up!
June 10, 2012
Say what you want about the horror flicks that set the trend. There's a reason behind them all and Scream was no different. In fact, Scream was such a sensation that other countries tried doing their own take on it and 'Cut' is Australia's attempt to the fold. As the flick opened up with a clever gimmick and an 'opening murder', I thought I was in for a good time. Unfortunately, Cut goes to quickly collapse on itself and wounded up being as generic and typical as any other one of these knock offs. First off, the movie has a lot of characters and took no time whatsoever to let us get to know them. Who the hell was who with those two dudes again? Oh, just wait for their stereotypes to be spoken. There was also a hint of lesbianism here that was lightly touched upon then dropped for the rest of the movie. Come onnnn!!! If you're gonna show us that much, why stop? It's a slasher flick, people! So once the killer hacks his way through the crowd of folks, their identity is revealed and the film suddenly wants to get smart again. It ten just getting redundant with the killer talking, annoying dialogue and starts getting over the top (a character gets butchered but still lives after that? No way). Kimball Rendel keeps the movie very stylish and quick (internet and fountain scenes were pretty cool). With the right script and movie, Rendel could go places. Molly Ringwald does so well at playing bitchy that I had no sympathy for her when it came time to give her character depth. Jessica Napier does her best with what she's go end and looked amazing to boot. Call me! Sarah Kant's was a good looking lesbian. That's all I know. Sam Lewis broods and stares a lot. Simon Boswell tries to put some depth into his character and was my favorite out of the male lot, most of whom were very annoying. Geoff Revell could be the prime example of that, he tries stealing the scene with his horribly written role every time he on screen. Shut up and die, already! Kylie Minogue comes out of this pretty decent even though she dies within the first ten minutes. I like her acting much more than her music. Any positives to spew? The kills were pretty rad and bloody. I would be lying if I said I didn't yelp with amusement when somebody got it. I also appreciated that the kills didn't take so long to get going with long stalk sequences. The killer here didn't mess around! Speaking of which, the killer himself looked pretty cool (cool mask) and I dug on the Real Killer vs Stage Killer fight scene the most! Lastly, the pace of the film flew by and was over before I had time to look at my nails. But overall, this one doesn't quite cut it for me. A slasher that doesn't try enough in plot (some mysteries were sooo freakin easy to answer) and elements (no nudity? Get real). It could be that I'm too fond of 80's slashers moreso. I appreciated what this one tried to do but in the end, Cut didn't quite make the cut (had to do it once). If you're really huge on slashers I would recommend. Otherwise, skip it.
½ March 5, 2012
Not bad, not great either! The slasher mask was pretty creepy! Molly Ringwald's character was funny!
February 2, 2012
Kinda a slow moving but it delievers whats promised!
November 28, 2011
A mostly lame and completely derivative Australian slasher film that attempts to be clever and self-conscious in the vein of Scream but just ends up being another uninspired slasher film. The presence of Molly Ringwald does little to elevate the film. Still, it is an entertainingly cheesy piece of cinema for those who require a steady diet of horror films.
½ October 12, 2011
"A concept that was never good, during the 1980s. Why would it have worked in 2000?" Molly Ringwald, had Pretty in Pink, The Breakfast Club and Sixteen Candles. Her acting career, should have ended there.
½ August 16, 2011
An interesting film, But i think it tries a little too hard to be a cult classic. It's old school american horror, which is always fun. The killings were unrealistic and the blood was outrageous, just how a horror movie should be. Sure, it's a "Scream" rip off, but it's still good.