The Cycle Savages - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Cycle Savages Reviews

½ October 4, 2012
This movie was alright, it had the usual motorcycle movie conventions, had Dern, and it's not too long. The other actors aren't that great. The story isn't too original, but it's also pretty good. Overall, not good, but pretty good.
April 14, 2015
It's time the old coach took over.

A city is deep rooted with bikers that extort locals and develop them into pimps, prostitutes, or muscle by a biker leader who then exports them to the city to his brother to generate revenue. A local artists starts drawing all the members of the gang and the gang and police department would love to get their hands on his material. The artist's life quickly becomes in danger.

"I don't want him to know me."

Bill Brame, director of Baby Needs a New Pair of Shoes, Miss Melody Jones, and Scream Free!, delivers The Cycle Savages. The storyline for this picture was carried by some cool characters. The plot doesn't really develop or unfold well. The acting was actually better than I anticipated and the cast includes Bruce Dern, Walter Robles, Maray Ayers, and Melody Patterson.

"My sister would have been all right if you and your brother stayed out of our lives."

I came across this on Netflix and had to add it to my wish list due to the obvious grindhouse feel. I did enjoy watching this film but hoped to see more of the underground worker system and how it performed once the characters went to the big time. The film has an empty feeling after the conclusion. This could have been better.

"I got a pair of eyes watching every move that guy makes."

Grade: C-
July 20, 2014
The story ain't great, it cost $13 to make, and Bruce Dern is fantastic! Without Dern this movie would be unwatchable.
½ November 28, 2010
Pretended I was at the drive-in last night with a bag of popcorn and a private screening of this late sixties entry in the biker gang genre, "Cycle Savages" (1969). Even Bruce Dern, looking wild and wooly, couldn't save this dud. He did his best to be an over-the-top psycho motorcycle gang leader, but just came off looking whiney, blustery, mysogynistic, and irrational (sort of like North Korea). Jeremy Slate, for example, was much more threatening with his quiet storm menace in "The Born Losers," a superior film. More road action footage might have helped as too many scenes took place in cheap apt. rooms and at the gang's hideout which was obviously a flimsy movie set. The ending was especially weak and left me with the impression that the screenwriters went out to lunch and never came back, or that the whole production simply ran out of money.
April 14, 2015
It's time the old coach took over.

"I don't want him to know me."

"I got a pair of eyes watching every move that guy makes."

Grade: C-
July 20, 2014
½ February 9, 2014
"You know it's against the law to drive in a park on your motor bike?" Biker exploitation flicks are one sub genre that I've always liked but has never gotten much of a mainstream resurgence, ala blaxploitation, spaghetti westerns, zombies, etc. There is "Sons of Anarchy" but that's more like "the Soprano's" on bikes. Maybe it's like women in prison pictures and it's just too disreputable of a sub genre to ever go mainstream. "The Cycle Savages" invokes biker gang leader Bruce Dern having it out to get an artist who sketched him and his gang's pictures at a bar when they were causing trouble. Dern and his gang then proceed to torment the artist for the rest of the picture have plan to smash his hands so he can't draw their pictures anymore. I suppose this is kind of a bizarre mashup of "Cape Fear" and "Easy Rider". As an aside, Dern was actually originally cast in the Jack Nicholson role in "Easy Rider." Casey Kasem has a small role as Dern's sleazy brother. Outside of Dern's terrific villain, there's not much to recommend here unless you're a fan of AIP exploitation pictures (which I am).
½ October 4, 2012
September 3, 2011
Standard biker movie stuff. Not very interesting but worth a few laughs.
½ November 28, 2010
½ January 23, 2011
Brutally bad B flick movie but I got through it!!
April 20, 2009
Absolutely absurd bikesploitation with Bruce Dern turning in an over the top performance as a sadistic biker gang leader. Casey Kasem appears briefly.
May 20, 2008
a hilarious one with a nice Boston Tea Party soundtrack and Bruce Dern as a ridiculous man who carries on