The Da Vinci Code - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Da Vinci Code Reviews

September 26, 2016
Indiana Jones and National Treasurer, this film is not.
September 11, 2016
1993's Schindler's List Is My Fifth Favorite Film Of All Time.
September 6, 2016
The Da Vinci Code
The Da Vinci Code 2006
?? Watched 06 Sep, 2016

Yikes. What happened here, Ron Howard?

For all of the controversy surrounding Dan Brown's 2003 best-selling novel, The Da Vinci Code has all the makings for an intriguing film: a continent-trotting mystery story involving a mysterious murder, a search for the true Holy Grail, and a potential secrecy around the lives of Jesus Christ and Mary Magdalene. Pair that with an Oscar winning screenwriter, a talented cast, and a solid director, and you have the potential for a fascinating film.

The problem with The Da Vinci Code is the presentation of all of these elements. The film is simply a bore, and makes no effort to make this adventure even remotely fun. Movies like this don't need to be fun per se, but the fact that director Ron Howard and writer Akiva Goldsman take this material so seriously (when the material is actually quite absurd) is a decision that hampers the film. Where a film like National Treasure embraces its absurdity and delivers an enjoyable time, The Da Vinci Code's refusal to infuse any charm into this story results in a product that is little more than a vessel for exposition about a crazy conspiracy.

It's strange that this comes from Ron Howard, who has proven how great of a director he can be in the past. The emotional impact of many of Howard's past efforts is hardly present here, leaving a cold shell of one of those films instead. Howard once again reteams with Tom Hanks, but somehow turns one of the most charming and charismatic actors alive into a dour character with no semblance of charm, let alone character development. The rest of the talented cast, including Audrey Tautou, Alfred Molina, Jean Reno, and Paul Bettany, are all wasted as well, and never given any moments to prove their talents. The only remotely enjoyable performance is Ian McKellan's turn as a Holy Grail enthusiast which contains some of the film's only scenes of vibrance. The other savior is Hans Zimmer's beautiful score; it's too bad it had to be used in such a downer of a movie.
August 25, 2016
This film had a lot of promise; an interesting plot, a great cast, the right atmosphere, and for a history buff like myself this is right up my alley. However, it falls flat as the film is simply trying to be too complex than it needs to be and ends up confusing the audience and boring them. You'll leave this film feeling like you missed something, some big revelations that maybe you didn't understand because maybe you aren't a history buff, but sadly this is not the case. The movie simply doesn't do a well enough job explaining what is happening, why it's happening, who these characters are, why we should care about them, and it just ends up being boring. If you want a treasure hunting mystery thriller, just go with National Treasure at least that movie has some charm.
½ August 23, 2016
The Da VInci Code is preposterous, but its preposterous fun. It stays faithful to Dan Brown's novel, while at the same time injecting enough movie effects to keep the audience entertained. Also, the theories and storyline is very clever, if historically flawed.
August 14, 2016
Loved the movie..Haven't read the book yet, but still think it deserves a lot more than 25%
August 13, 2016
This movie was incredible! A "National Treasure" through art and religion. There was so much detail and interesting theories that you must have an open mind to really appreciate.
½ August 8, 2016
Despite having many excellent actors such as Audrey Tautou (Amélie), Jürgen Prochnow (Das Boot), Ian McKellen (LOTR), and Jean Reno (The Professional), this film was lousy. It's not only that I cannot stand Tom Hanks, the movie pretty much encompasses everything terrible about Hollywood big-budget epics.
August 7, 2016
When I first saw this film about 5 years ago, I hated it. All I remember was a super confusing plotline with poorly executed character development. But I saw the trailer for the upcoming film, 'Inferno', I had to urge to give this film a second chance. I'm glad I did because I had fun watching The Da Vinci Code. But I must warn potential viewers, you must have a slight interest in religious history to enjoy this movie. If you don't, then this film is not for you. I am not the most religious person in the world. Although I was baptized Catholic, I don't regularly go to church and am not aware of every story told in the bible, but I do find it somewhat interesting. That's what kept me invested. One actor who really helped me understand and want to keep watching was Ian McKellen. Although Tom Hanks is my favourite actor, he doesn't really have that much of a character. You follow him on this journey because... well, he's Tom Hanks but Ian McKellen gives a fun performance and one that really helps the film. Although I was interested throughout most of it, I would be lying to say that the plot is a bit thin and confusing. The villain of the movie was never really explained and how Tom Hanks is brought into this manhunt across Paris isn't explained well either. The script is rather weak. But overall, because I was interested in the conspiracy behind the Holy Grail and Jesus Christ's bloodline, I enjoyed this movie. Certainly not for everyone though.
August 5, 2016
interesting story. A bit drawn out.
½ July 24, 2016
Why were these movies so wholly panned?
July 19, 2016
Not impressed sorry ken
½ July 18, 2016
The Da Vinci Code is a good movie, but it's a better novel. I'll be the first to admit that it's not easy to cram 454 pages into a 148-minute story, though. Tom Hanks and Audrey Tautou are kind of bland in their roles, which is why Ian McKellen steals every scene he's in - he's having fun. Even with its flaws, this is an interesting an engaging ride through the world of history and folklore.
½ July 9, 2016
Self Indulgent at every turn, boring, and way too long, The Da Vinci Code is a disappointing venture by the Hanks/Howard team. I'm not sure how any woman can be in heels in an adventure movie and that is just the tip of the iceberg to the ridiculous path the film takes. Even Hanks fans will be cringing.
½ June 24, 2016
I don't get what was so disliked about this movie. I found it to be a fascinating, exciting, twisting story that made you think. I certainly understand the controversy in terms of bending religion, but the story is just so intriguing.
June 9, 2016
It was very stressful for me to watch this film for it was very confusing. I didn't like how most of the settings were dark. The clues are not as good as I thought
June 5, 2016
This is one of the better book-to-film adaptations that's been done. Tom Hanks is always fantastic, and the story is captivating. The intrigue, and the historical fiction aspect, add some much needed brain food. I think this is why most people couldn't enjoy: they either couldn't pull away from their faith or they couldn't force their imagination to follow the story.
½ May 31, 2016
it made me feel dirtyi had to watch a Seinfeld episode after it so cringe-worthy
May 19, 2016
Tom Hanks makes this movie boring. While the book and the story is engaging, most of the cast seems to be tired and out of range...