The Da Vinci Code - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Da Vinci Code Reviews

October 28, 2016
Apres le roman qui n'etait pas mal du tout, l'adaptation cine s'en sort tout de meme pas trop mal meme si la realisation reste assez maladroite. Pas facile de tout suivre ni saisir sans avoir lu le bouquin auparavant.
October 25, 2016
When it comes to mysteries, it really does boil down to how interesting your film is. While The DaVinci Code is the definition of a film that you either choose to buy into or you will probably hate it, I still find that its intentions are in the right place and holds onto its audience from beginning to end. Viewing this film ten years ago upon its initial release and just now revisiting it for the first time since, I still acquired most of my sentiments. This is an overly religious film and although some may admire its acts, most of those who are not of the Catholic religion may just find it pretentious or uninteresting. Personally, I believe the film has a little for everyone. That being said, although I think The DaVinci Code tries very hard to be intriguing, it definitely is not without its major flaws.

While I have not read the source material that this film bases its premise around, I never choose to compare. A film needs to work as a film first and foremost and if it happens to be a faithful adaptation on top of that, then it just pleases more people, plain and simple. For me, even if I have read a novel, I hardly ever draw comparisons. Following a murder at the Louvre, novelist/symbologist Robert Langdon and the victim's granddaughter Sophie Neveu must uncover the clues to secrets he left behind. From secrets locked away since the birth of Christ to uncovering the lies of their past, this film sends viewers on a roller-coaster ride of intense puzzles. That being said, the film as a whole does not live up its exciting premise.

While many people may not quite fully understand what I mean by this, I can't help but call this film calming and nice to watch. There is a fine line between boring and calm, but I feel that this film walks in between those perfectly. The pacing of this film, along with the very enjoyable performances from Tom Hanks, Audrey Tautou, and Ian McKellan, are really something to admire here. Sadly, there are moments when these aspects tarnish themselves by focussing too much on the surreal, quickly making this film feel a little less believable than it should be. The big reveal in the final act will either have you chuckling or simply accepting it. Without getting into spoilers, there is a build-up as to who or what something is and if it even still exists. When it is revealed, it felt a little forced and the film lost me. Again, the pacing saves those aspects, due to the fact that it takes itself very seriously and the performances are believable.

Ten years ago I would have strongly advised against seeing this film in theatres, but having time pass and revisiting this film after knowing what to expect and not enjoying it very much the first time around, I have come to respect this adaptation of The DaVinci Code. It is by no means a great film in any way, but it maintains its interesting elements throughout, masking the annoying side characters, the sometimes ridiculous plot, and the over-abundance of religion. I did admire some of the clever inclusions of the Catholic religion in order to make certain scenes more interesting, but when your entire film relies on a reveal that requires its audience to have certain beliefs, the film will definitely not please all audiences, and that aspect still remains to this day. All of that said, I do feel that this film gets better on multiple viewings

The DaVinci Code still offers a generous amount of thrills and its mysterious aspects are still very enjoyable to watch. The film does get a little too self-indulgent with its beliefs, but if you are able to accept the fact that this film will not hold back, you may just find yourself enjoying it quite a bit. At 150 minutes, the film does feel its length due to its slow burn, but that is the aspect I admired most about this film. Its soothing performance from Tom Hanks, meshed with very intriguing dialogue throughout each scene when something is about to be revealed made me feel relaxed. For a specific audience, this film could possibly be the best film they have ever seen, but The DaVinci Code relies too much on that to carry the overall film. I did buy into the conclusion, but it was pretty silly. Overall, although I enjoy the film more upon each viewing, it really is nothing special in the end. It tries very hard to be great, and while certain aspects are exceptional, the film as a whole is fine. I find new things to like about this picture each time, so I may give it an even higher grade in the future.
½ October 23, 2016
3.5/5 stars

The disappointment was -spoilers- at the end. The rest was pretty decent.
October 19, 2016
Really enjoyable mystery thriller.
Finally got around to watching this having never seen it or read the book, I was thoroughly impressed, kept guessing throughout and what a great cast.
The role is perfect for Tom Hanks and there were some great appearances in the supporting cast.
I'm looking forward to catching up on Angels & Demons next.
October 11, 2016
Me extraña que algunos consideren que Tom Hanks no posea rango actoral. Recuerden que él empezó en la comedia ("Bachelor party", "Spalsh") y luego pasó al drama ("Forrest Gump" "Philadelphia) y a la acción ("Saving Private Ryan", "Apollo 13") sin ningún esfuerzo. "The Da Vinci Code", la adaptación del libro (un absoluto best-seller escrito por Dan Brown) es un producto sin pena ni gloria al igual que el libro. Tanto el libro como la película no son imposibles de ver o de leer, pero tampoco son unos clásicos como la gente está afirmando. Para aquellos que no sepan nada de la historia, tiene que ver con un experto en símbolos llamado Robert Langdon (Hanks), quien se ve envuelto en una conspiración relacionada con la obra del pintor renacentista. "El Código Da Vinci" es una obra que pretende ser profunda cuando en realidad es puro entretenimiento superficial. Gracias a la dirección de Ron Howard, la cinta logra entretener, pero es una burbuja de aire.
½ October 7, 2016
I loved it though it was very long but thrilling
October 4, 2016
It may not completely embody the basis of the novel, but the terror described in the novel - to my thoughts - is well described
October 2, 2016
Very engaging, rewards repeated viewings. Music works very well.
September 26, 2016
Indiana Jones and National Treasurer, this film is not.
September 6, 2016
The Da Vinci Code
The Da Vinci Code 2006
?? Watched 06 Sep, 2016

Yikes. What happened here, Ron Howard?

For all of the controversy surrounding Dan Brown's 2003 best-selling novel, The Da Vinci Code has all the makings for an intriguing film: a continent-trotting mystery story involving a mysterious murder, a search for the true Holy Grail, and a potential secrecy around the lives of Jesus Christ and Mary Magdalene. Pair that with an Oscar winning screenwriter, a talented cast, and a solid director, and you have the potential for a fascinating film.

The problem with The Da Vinci Code is the presentation of all of these elements. The film is simply a bore, and makes no effort to make this adventure even remotely fun. Movies like this don't need to be fun per se, but the fact that director Ron Howard and writer Akiva Goldsman take this material so seriously (when the material is actually quite absurd) is a decision that hampers the film. Where a film like National Treasure embraces its absurdity and delivers an enjoyable time, The Da Vinci Code's refusal to infuse any charm into this story results in a product that is little more than a vessel for exposition about a crazy conspiracy.

It's strange that this comes from Ron Howard, who has proven how great of a director he can be in the past. The emotional impact of many of Howard's past efforts is hardly present here, leaving a cold shell of one of those films instead. Howard once again reteams with Tom Hanks, but somehow turns one of the most charming and charismatic actors alive into a dour character with no semblance of charm, let alone character development. The rest of the talented cast, including Audrey Tautou, Alfred Molina, Jean Reno, and Paul Bettany, are all wasted as well, and never given any moments to prove their talents. The only remotely enjoyable performance is Ian McKellan's turn as a Holy Grail enthusiast which contains some of the film's only scenes of vibrance. The other savior is Hans Zimmer's beautiful score; it's too bad it had to be used in such a downer of a movie.
August 25, 2016
This film had a lot of promise; an interesting plot, a great cast, the right atmosphere, and for a history buff like myself this is right up my alley. However, it falls flat as the film is simply trying to be too complex than it needs to be and ends up confusing the audience and boring them. You'll leave this film feeling like you missed something, some big revelations that maybe you didn't understand because maybe you aren't a history buff, but sadly this is not the case. The movie simply doesn't do a well enough job explaining what is happening, why it's happening, who these characters are, why we should care about them, and it just ends up being boring. If you want a treasure hunting mystery thriller, just go with National Treasure at least that movie has some charm.
½ August 23, 2016
The Da VInci Code is preposterous, but its preposterous fun. It stays faithful to Dan Brown's novel, while at the same time injecting enough movie effects to keep the audience entertained. Also, the theories and storyline is very clever, if historically flawed.
August 14, 2016
Loved the movie..Haven't read the book yet, but still think it deserves a lot more than 25%
August 13, 2016
This movie was incredible! A "National Treasure" through art and religion. There was so much detail and interesting theories that you must have an open mind to really appreciate.
½ August 8, 2016
Despite having many excellent actors such as Audrey Tautou (Amélie), Jürgen Prochnow (Das Boot), Ian McKellen (LOTR), and Jean Reno (The Professional), this film was lousy. It's not only that I cannot stand Tom Hanks, the movie pretty much encompasses everything terrible about Hollywood big-budget epics.
August 7, 2016
When I first saw this film about 5 years ago, I hated it. All I remember was a super confusing plotline with poorly executed character development. But I saw the trailer for the upcoming film, 'Inferno', I had to urge to give this film a second chance. I'm glad I did because I had fun watching The Da Vinci Code. But I must warn potential viewers, you must have a slight interest in religious history to enjoy this movie. If you don't, then this film is not for you. I am not the most religious person in the world. Although I was baptized Catholic, I don't regularly go to church and am not aware of every story told in the bible, but I do find it somewhat interesting. That's what kept me invested. One actor who really helped me understand and want to keep watching was Ian McKellen. Although Tom Hanks is my favourite actor, he doesn't really have that much of a character. You follow him on this journey because... well, he's Tom Hanks but Ian McKellen gives a fun performance and one that really helps the film. Although I was interested throughout most of it, I would be lying to say that the plot is a bit thin and confusing. The villain of the movie was never really explained and how Tom Hanks is brought into this manhunt across Paris isn't explained well either. The script is rather weak. But overall, because I was interested in the conspiracy behind the Holy Grail and Jesus Christ's bloodline, I enjoyed this movie. Certainly not for everyone though.
August 5, 2016
interesting story. A bit drawn out.
½ July 24, 2016
Why were these movies so wholly panned?
July 19, 2016