Dad - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Dad Reviews

½ August 3, 2015
An emotional tear-jerking film that overuses the emotions even for its own good, yet is saved by Jack Lemmon's believable performance as the 78-year old Jake Tremont, who, after his wife suddenly collapses, eventually learns to take care of himself with help from his son John, ably played by Ted Danson. And Ethan Hawke, in his early years of acting, gives a good performance as John's son Billy, who has a somewhat recent falling out with his father.

Not the best film from Amblin, considering E.T., Back to the Future and Jurassic Park, but is worth a watch.
½ April 16, 2015
Nice to see Lemon again....would've been nicer in a better movie.
½ October 21, 2014
Certain Scenes (Danson & Lemmon) Are Perfectly Staged & Presented As True To Life As Can Be...It However Cannot Ride Purely On These Poignant Scenes Alone, So Unfortunately Gets Dragged Down & Backwards In Other Patts...
September 1, 2014
I just watched this for the first time. I loved it I don't know what other movies it was in the running with in 1900 but I bet if this move had been made today, Jack Lemmon would have had a best actor nomination instead of only a nod for the Golden Globe. He was terrific. There were a lot of important lessons in this heartwarming movie.
½ September 14, 2013
A stirring film about 3 generations of men trying 2 connect altogether after many years of disconnection.

Ted Danson is desperately wanting to connect with his son & spend time with his father also, at first I assumed this film is a comedy but it really isn't.

It's more or less a heart felt drama & I think Jack Lemmon is excellent as Ted's father. It was a bit of sleeper this film & didn't do tell week...I thought it was interesting.
December 2, 2012
tres touchant pour un film quon ne sattendais pas a regarder lol, jai aimé la facon de réagir différente des personnages, et senti vraiment un drame
June 17, 2012
I loved this poignant film and the casting was amazing. Bittersweet and funny and as a care aide doing home care for seniors...all too real. Two thumbs up.
March 27, 2012
I know it's overly sentimental and emotionally mechicanical but I'm a sucker for it each viewing
½ November 26, 2011
Love this movie...10 handkerchiefs for sure.
½ July 19, 2011
Looking like death warmed over, Jack Lemmon plays the aging father of Ted Danson. Always proud of being able to fend for himself, Lemmon despises being reliant upon others, but his enfeebled state does not allow him his old independence. For his part, Danson resents having to care for his dad as he would for an infant. Things take an upward turn when a "Doctor Feelgood" (Zakes Mokae) enters the scene, pumping Lemmon full of self-confidence. But then Lemmon is stricken with cancer, an affliction that he can't jolly himself out of. As the reality of his imminent death strikes everyone around him, Lemmon retreats into fantasy, recalling the past happy events of his life as though they're happening here and now. The rest of the family humors their dying dad, and in so doing draws closer together than they've been in years. TV sitcom maestro Gary David Goldberg co-produced and directed Dad, and also adapted the screenplay from the novel by William Wharton.

VERDICT: "Full Price" - My second highest rating (Positive to Mixed reaction). This is a rating to a movie I view as very entertaining and well made, and definitely worth paying the full price at a theatre to see or own on DVD. It is not perfect, but it is definitely excellent.
½ June 19, 2011
Never seen this movie before. Watched it today on Father's Day. Excellent movie. Tear jerker about the aging process of our parents both mind and body, the adult children as the caregivers and the seemingly uncaring medical care system.
½ June 19, 2011
good film about being a close family, but the hospital scenes hit me hard on a personal level. hawke is so young in this!
½ May 16, 2011
What's the story between Dad and you? This is a very good family drama. And it's surprising to see very young Ethan Hawke and Kevin Spacey!
½ October 14, 2010
I just watched this 1989 movie. How the heck I missed ever seeing it is beyond me. It was really, really good. I have never been a huge Ted Danson fan (other than Cheers days maybe), but he did a wonderful job..and so did the rest of the cast. I miss Jack Lemmon. He was one of my all time favorites. Too bad he's gone.
October 10, 2010
por favor, como puedo conseguir la película "DAD" (con Jack Lemmon, ted danson)
½ August 22, 2010
# Meu Pai - Uma Lição de Vida
July 25, 2010
Gary David Goldberg, el creador de la serie de television "Family Ties", debuta como director en esta cinta llena de lagrimas en el que tres generaciones se encuentran: el abuelo (interpretado por el gran Jack Lemmon), el hijo (Ted Danson) y el nieto (Ethan Hawke) discuten sobre la vida, la muerte, el amor, el perdon y la falta de comunicacion. Algunos diran que es un drama insufrible. Otros diran (como yo) que es una pelicula que logra llegar al corazon. Usted decida.
May 8, 2010
A very cute and touching film. I've never read the novel but have always been a big Jack Lemmon fan. Not so much for Ted Danson. Worth watching if you love your father.
April 13, 2010
This movie so reminds me of my dad! I miss you so so much dad!