Daikaijû kuchu kessan: Gamera tai Gyaosu (Gamera vs. Gyaos)(Return of the Giant Monsters) Reviews

• Sep 13, 2014

The strongest entry in the series so far, and introduces Gamera's nemesis Gyaos. For a 60's Kaiju movie, this is a great one.

• Aug 12, 2014

My favourite gamera movie (btw all the original movies are so bad they're good kind of movies)

• Jun 14, 2013

I'm sure this movie is better if one can get over how stupid Gyaos looks, but I couldn't.

• Nov 07, 2012

Gamera VS. Gaos is the third film in the Gamera series, which is about a giant tortoise who now defends Japan against other mutated creatures like him. This one is also a bit of a return to the formula of the first one, which featured more scenes of Gamera fighting, less plot and a child to pander to the young audience. It's really about the same as previous films, but is only slightly better than the last, which was sparse on the actual fighting and tried to come up with more of a story. This film doesn't do that, and it gears solely towards the fighting. Later films pandered absolutely towards children, but this is before that happened. This is also another Gamera film that was taken to town successfully on Mystery Science Theater 3000.

• Jun 13, 2012

the best of the Gamera series.

the best of the Gamera series.

• May 14, 2012

the chesiest thing I've ever seen

the chesiest thing I've ever seen

• Apr 04, 2012

Better than the first two Gamera films in all regards until the end...where the plan is to make the bad monster dizzy. WTF. On the troll movie side, this one isn't nearly as bad funny, so it isn't as satisfying as the first 2.

• Mar 11, 2012

Cheesy but probably one of the best of the Showa Gamera films. There is a annoying kid in here but he's no where as bad as they will get in later films. The monster fights are nice and the ending was swell. There is actually a lot going on in this film, as there are several fights between the monsters and the military throughout. A good, fun, and campy kaiju flick.

• Caesar M Super Reviewer
    Feb 18, 2012

So I haven't had the best experience with the Gamera series as I so far find the only fun is whenever Gamera is on screen, and this is no different. Gamera vs. Gyaos is about a gigantic bat that emerges from a volcano to terrorize Japan and the only one that can stop is Gamera. This movie has the same problem as the first two movies as they have boring and uninteresting human characters. Though they are a little more tolerable than Gamera vs. Barugon, they still lack any entertainment for them to take up most of the screen time. Honestly I was about to give up on this film if wasn't for the fact that is has more monsters mayhem and the fact Gamera is not missing from the movie like in Gamera vs. Barugon. While the human kill the fun in the movie, the monsters make it worth the watch. When I first saw the monsters suit I cringe because they were a serious downgrade from the first two. They looked even more fake than before, something I thought wasn't even possible. Once you get pass the bad costumes, you'll find the real appeal of this movie, the hilariously poorly done monster brawls. I found myself laughing and having a good time seeing these two monster fight against each other. Gyaos makes a better opponent for Gamera and I like him better because he doesn't shoot deadly rainbows like Barugon. Gamera and Gyaos should have taken up more screen time as there the only reason I even watched the movie, to bad they don't, but the amount they're on are enjoyable. So the problem with the earlier Gamera movies from my experience so far is that the human characters are boring and the only appeal are with the monsters. Do yourself a favor and watch this movie just for the monster brawl, skip pass the boring human part and you'll have a good time like I did.

• Christopher H Super Reviewer
    Dec 11, 2011

The first Gamera flick to feature Gyaos, the only monster to appear in more than one Gamera movie (Gamera vs. Guiron, Guardian of the Universe, Revenge of Iris). One big setback are the visuals, which have certainly regressed since the previous installments. Too many times the model cities and vehicles look like something out of a "Thunderbirds" episode. The effects at times look really cheesy and a little cheap. There is one scene where a guy is being blown back by wind and you can clearly see the wires on his jacket. The film does not take too long to get to the monster action, and their is plenty of fighting and destruction to go around. Unfortunately, it comes at the cost of story coherence. There is this annoying subplot about a village trying to stop road construction that is only related to the monster action by sheer coincidence. These scenes always grind the film to a halt because it does not matter. The film also has three annoying characters: a little boy, and two guys who are aggravatingly petty comic-relief. The fights are the biggest highlight, and they demonstrates what makes Gamera battles intriguing. Unlike Godzilla, Gamera can actually get hurt. Gamera can bleed, which makes the fights all the more intense and interesting. This entry in the Gamera series is a mixed bag. It is still fun to watch, but lacks the sophistication of "Gamera vs. Barugon".