Daisies - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Daisies Reviews

October 22, 2013
Brilliant. Wild. Crazy. Decadent. Divine. DAISIES is so full of ideas it is ready to explode. Can't believe TCM is showing this masterpiece of New Czech Cinema. Decadent and anti-bourgeois, DAISIES perfectly captures the spirit and promise of mid-communism before the Russian tanks came rolling in. Extraordinary, profound and influential. Are there any more superlatives I can lay on DAISIES?
October 19, 2013
A peculiar little film that does things with cinema and film that I've never seen done before. Not that I've seen all movies, or anything, but I'll still consider this a unique excursion; a little coming-of-age fantasy that blows by like the puffs of a dandelion.

It works as both character sketch--albeit an extremely absurd character sketch--and as a form of social commentary.
May 31, 2013
A fascinating watch, and completely, by a long shot, the most savage piece of cinema I've ever seen. Could be seen as a feminist statement, a food devouring piece of nonsense, or an existential portrait of modern existence. A masterpiece, and indeed a hell of a discovery.
May 14, 2013
A fun art house movie. Amazing.
May 12, 2013
It's the story of two hipsters... before it was cool.
April 8, 2013
raw, colorful, witty.
March 18, 2013
Vera ChytilovŠ's Daisies is an avant-garde film about two girls named Marie I and Marie II, who tries to understand this strange world. One day they decides to be bad, because the world is also bad. They start going out with older men who buys them dinner, and then run away. Otherwise they love to joke around doing vandalism and simply break loose. Daisies is a surreal comedy that you could interpret as both anarchistic and feministic. It is indeed a very liberating film both thematic and technical. It's experimenting. I really enjoyed watching this colorful mess, with the two girls playing around like they were having a sexy pillow fight, but as the movie goes on, it's getting more uncomfortable. It's like a young girl playing with her Barbie dolls. Daisies is a perfect example of how communist Czechoslovakia really was. Daisies are the definition of the sixties itself, wild and restless. Thumbs up.
February 16, 2013
meanwhile in Czechoslovakia,
½ February 14, 2013
One of the finest surreal comedies of all time, but that may be due to this reviewer's professed love of all things Dada. It's avant-garde at its silliest and most solemn. Whimsical and horrific. It's nearly everything I look for in modern art. Obviously not for everyone, this is a highly stylistic exercise in the Czech New Wave structure of cinema. Highly adventurous, fun and sly all at the same time with a denouement that is both sudden and expected but will jolt all but the most jaded of viewers into reality from the surreality that had proceeded across the big screen in front of your very agape jaw and wide open eyes.

Or not. But that's just, like, your opinion, man.
½ February 7, 2013
I don't know what I just saw, but I liked it.
½ January 27, 2013
A film about two simple, giddy young women horsing around. Don't expect a storyline.
½ January 15, 2013
Delightfully subversive.
January 3, 2013
Very charming little experimental flick in the tradition of its precursors from the silent era and maybe its French counterparts. There are parts that are truly amazing, most notably the scissor scene, and many moments in first half. But as the film goes on, its lack of narrative becomes a challenge to the attention span. I love the inventiveness, it's a lesson for filmmaking that every film student should see, but I wish there were Daisies had, like ZAZIE DANS LE METRO, etc, had a more clearly defined narrative however insignificant, just to help the audience out a little bit.
December 29, 2012
It was true. I related to it whether I wanted to or not. If I sometimes didn't personally, I still observed existence. That's my experince. Then I can still chew on more symbolism.
½ November 27, 2012
Definitely a 60's film, even though I understand it's supposed to be "artistic", it comes off childish and obnoxious, and even the last 5 minutes can't redeem it of that.
½ November 11, 2012
I think Enid from "Ghost World" would like this.
½ October 4, 2012
Movies twice as long and twice as pricey don't have half the zippy spirit of this innovative surrealist film.
½ September 27, 2012
Worth seeing for the influence it undoubtedly had on films like Obayashi's "Hausu" - but it reminds me of Terry Gilliam's adaptation of "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas," where you mostly watch two people be horrible for feature length.
September 22, 2012
A lovely, anarchistic Dadaist adventure of youthful rebellion in communist, pre-Spring Czechoslovakia.
½ September 8, 2012
At once joyful and cynical, it's an appropriately bonkers tale of youth's raging id unleashed by Western freedoms as seen through the eyes of dictatorial society, which is finally mocked by a backhanded nod of respect.