Dakota Skye - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Dakota Skye Reviews

April 7, 2014
Makes you wonder if you're a person who 'makes life happen' or 'lets life just happen to you' and which is better in the end.
½ December 20, 2013
not a bad drama but not too good either
September 29, 2013
Good acting and story. Really enjoyed it. Cute movie. Plus, Aileen April Boylan is super cute!!
June 19, 2013
I secretly like this movie a lot. I don't know what it is about it, because when I think about the plot, it doesn't seem like a movie I would enjoy in the least. But, inexplicably, I do.
½ May 22, 2013
Not good. They took a decent premise and drug it through terrible acting, a slow story line, and shallow perspective. The real struggle is how long to give it before you turn it off.

The lead is horrendous; her character is grumpy without any redeeming qualities. The good news is that she's so bad that you know it can't be her real personality.
April 19, 2013
Oh look, the story of my life ;)
½ February 6, 2013
A bit too slow paced to get into, shame because the premise is so good.
January 17, 2013
It reminded me a lot of "Juno", from the voice-over narration to the smart-aleck teenage protagonist with the funky fashion sense. For all its reminders of its predecessor, though, I found it uniquely sweet and amusing. All of the characters are likable, including the doofus boyfriend. Not sure I agreed with the final epiphany the character has, which seemed seemed to be that everything's relative. That there's no right or wrong at all. We all know this is untrue, seeing as how while she was making out with her boyfriend's best friend both she AND him felt bad about it and didn't want to take it any farther thanks to their guilt. So her epiphany was basically rendered moot before she even had it.
LWOODS04
½ January 7, 2013
"It wasn't a horrible movie, but it wasn't that great either. I was hoping that just because the cast has some unknowns (at least for me), that it would turn out being good. But, it wasn't. The acting left something to be desired and the story itself was boring. I didn't care for the characters and I didn't care for the story. I did think the only one who did a good job in this was Ian Nelson as Jonah. Eileen Boylan over acted. So that's about all I gotta say about this."
January 5, 2013
Buena, al menos no me aburrió.
½ October 7, 2012
Cute, but too slowly paced story about the meaning of truth and lies.
June 15, 2012
It had its moments and some of those were funny, though I'm not sure they were meant to be. Overall, pretty honest acting and some of the soundtrack worked well in the moment. Her green extra large jacket was definitely in the proud tradition of Lindsay Weir from the short-lived Freaks and Geeks.
May 23, 2012
I liked the concept of this film: a girl who can see when anyone is lying meets a boy who never lies. Teenage angst ensues, but on a highly intellectual and philosophical level. Great acting.
½ April 16, 2012
I finished watching Dakota Skye. You (Lillian) will disagree with me when I say that I did not like the movie at all. I usually love watching Indie films because of alternative story lines that are not so "Box Office". However, this movie was simply bad.

I love that the main character has the power to tell when people are lying, but I feel that the movie did not execute this idea very well. It was to the point where Dakota having this "power" was unnecessary for the overall plot of the movie. At one point of the movie, I forgot that she even had this "power".

The acting was so awkward and terrible that I could tell that these people were in fact acting. The dialogue may possibly be the cause of bad acting because it was just so bland, and did not flow to tell a story. Characters would speak to each other, and would respond in an unconscious enunciation of lines. The pace of the movie was slow, and predictable.

The direction of photography was pretty bad too, for all the shots were in no way artistically thought of when I think "Indie film". The camera would shoot a scene in simple shots, and neglected other angles that would have portrayed scenes in a different or better way. The photographic directions is what I love about "Indie Films", and to not see this in Dakota Skye was a real letdown.

However, the main reason I did not like Dakota Skye is because of the main character Dakota Skye. She is an angst filled, unambitious, and aloof young woman who is unsympathetic to the world and the people around her. There were multiple times in the film where I shouted out, "Oh god get over yourself already!" I seriously wished that they had a character that would knock Dakota off the pedestal that she puts herself on. I wish someone would just say, "Is your life really that difficult because you can tell when people are lying? Like really? Is that why you're such a bitch to everyone? Fuck Off Dakota, you promiscuous whore slut".

I compared her to a "Lame version of April Ludgate (from Parks and Recreation)". (I'm not saying that Dakota is based on April, for this movie did in fact come out before Parks, but comparing these two characters to establish the negatives I have with the character of Dakota).

Let's face it, the actress playing Dakota was horrendous and over- "acting" to be a character who is angst filled, unambitious, aloof, promiscuous, under-age to have sex woman.

Dakota does not care for anyone's bullshit, and unfortunately for Dakota, I do not care for hers. That's why I give this movie a C- , and I'm not lying when I say C-
April 9, 2012
My new favorite movie!! I love the tension between Jonah and Dakota. I also like how Dakota knows Jonah likes her and Jonah knows Dakota likes him. Maybe not right away, but later on.
March 27, 2012
Very Good For a little movie : )
March 27, 2012
This movie is seriously disturbing intriguing crazy drama slash drug induce coma lol. This girl has serious issue plus superpowers lol. U never know what is worst to being unable to lie or to be a contantly turn on lie detector does my life would be better or more miserable with this I really likedcit but i would love it to be a little more deep kind of lol
½ February 8, 2012
a very good nice movie. different but familiar.
February 5, 2012
Every now and then it's nice to just sit down and enjoy a heartfelt, honest, indie romance. Full of undeniable charm, quippy dialogue, and feel-good moments, it's hard to hate on the message "Dakota Skye" is trying to send. While it may seem cliche for a film to focus solely on the ideals of love and honesty, there's something inherently human about this one. Some might be turned off by the protagonist Dakota's deadpan, apathetic delivery of lines, or the perpetual atmosphere of teen angst, but the movie feels realistic in almost all respects (minus the main character's super power, of course). The onscreen chemistry between all of the characters is genuinely fun to watch, especially between Dakota and her love interest, Jonah - the interactions between these two drive the film, and eliminate the need for any big-name stars or giant studio budgets. A great pick for a date night, or even to just satiate a romantic film craving.