Dallas Buyers Club - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Dallas Buyers Club Reviews

December 2, 2016
Harrowing and inspiring in equal parts. Matthew McConaughey is great, but it's actually Jared Leto who steals the show.
½ October 16, 2016
Dallas buyers club is different to most films that I've ever seen before. McConaughey is brilliant and Leto is unrecognisable. It is interesting to see McConaughey's journey from being an irresponsible, homophobic cowboy to a clever guy that just wants to do right, despite what the government's plans are. The science behind the film is smart too and I like how it doesn't hold back on explaining what the drugs do to the human body.
October 12, 2016
Leto rocks in this loosely based biopic.
October 10, 2016
See this film. You will not be disappointed.
September 30, 2016
No doubt, the acting is outstanding. McConaughey and Leto are almost frighteningly good. Unfortunately, the plot does not flow as smoothly as I hoped, the climaxes are few and there is a certain feeling of repetition. That doesn't take anything away from the importance of the story that is told here. I just hoped to be a little more engaged in and touched by the events.
September 26, 2016
A real tragic story but an uplifting one at the same time. I had recently watched a documentary about the AIDS crisis of the late 1980's and early 1990's and it made me realize the pain and suffering these people had to deal with like getting told that you have a disease that is basically uncurable, you only have months to live and that the government isn't doing jack shit to help you. So the pain of these characters is there but the way these characters are portrayed make the pain seem real. When Matthew McConaughey gets told he has AIDS, he reacts exactly how I think this character would respond, full of homophobic remarks and anger towards the doctors. Same goes for Jared Leto's character. I didn't see Jared Leto in drag, I saw Ms. Rayon. This is a movie to really enjoy for the acting, but it doesn't feel like just an oscar bait talent show, it feels like a geniune story. This is a great movie. From the script, to the acting, to the true heart this story has, it is worth a watch for sure!
September 23, 2016
Too slow. Without McConaughey wouldn't be the same.
½ September 22, 2016
Absolutely stunning. One of the best films I've seen in a long time. McConaughey's performance was breathtaking.
September 21, 2016
Impeccable cinematography and astonishing performances from Jared Leto and Matthew McConaughey make Dallas Buyers Club a must watch of modern filmography, well deserving all the oscar thet this movie was nominated for.
September 17, 2016
Let me give y'all a little news flash. There ain't nothin' out there can kill fuckin' Ron Woodroof in 30 days.
½ August 28, 2016
will help you see just how fucked up and topsy-turvey the world is. especially the united states.
August 19, 2016
Matthew and Jared were AMAZING!!!!
½ August 16, 2016
There is a joke in Hollywood that if you want to win an Oscar, you have to take on a role where the character either dies tragically, has a physical or mental illness, and/or you have to gain or lose a ridiculous amount of weight or wear a prosthetic device. Look at the list of these Oscar winners:

Cliff Robertson, in CHARLY (1968), for playing an intellectually disabled man.
Jon Voight, in COMING HOME (1978), for playing a paraplegic.
Robert De Niro, in RAGING BULL (1980), a role for which he reportedly gained 60 pounds.
Dustin Hoffman, in RAIN MAN (1988), for playing an autistic savant.
Daniel Day-Lewis, in MY LEFT FOOT (1989), for playing a man who has cerebral palsy.
Tom Hanks, in PHILADELPHIA (1993), for playing a man who is dying of AIDS.
Geoffrey Rush, in SHINE (1996), for playing a man who has suffered a mental breakdown.
Colin Firth, in THE KING'S SPEECH (2010), for playing a king who has a speech impediment.

And that's just the men.

Okay, I'll agree that these are all great movies, and the awards and accolades they earned were well deserved but what if there is something to this?

Enter DALLAS BUYERS CLUB, a film that ticks more than one of the above boxes. Actors Matthew McConaughey and Jared Leto, who both play men with AIDS, reportedly lost 38 and 40 pounds respectively for their roles... but I'm getting ahead of myself.

It's 1985 and Texas electrician Ron Woodroof is as wild as the bulls he rides in his spare time. He lives a devil-may-care existence, spending all of his disposable income on women, Jack Daniels and cocaine. After Ron collapses at home, he wakes up in the hospital to be greeted by two doctors who are wearing masks and rubber gloves. It's very early days for HIV and AIDS (it was first clinically observed in the US only four years earlier), and back then it was believed that the virus could be transmitted through saliva.

Ron is told that he has AIDS but he refuses to believe it. After all, he thinks that only "queers" like Rock Hudson get the disease. Although the doctors tell him that his case is so advanced that he only has about 30 days left to live, he sets out trying to get the then experimental drug AZT for himself. He finds a hospital janitor who is willing to steal the hospital's supply of the drug for a fee and, when that supply line dries up, Ron heads for the Mexican border where he hears the drug is readily available. There, he meets a disgraced American doctor who puts him on a cocktail of vitamins and fatty acids instead of the potentially poisonous AZT. The new treatment seems to work and Ron starts to feel better. He then has the idea to smuggle these medications into Texas and offer them to other AIDS sufferers. He hears about "buyers' clubs" that have sprung up across the country where people pay a flat fee every month in exchange for all the meds they need. Along with Rayon, a transvestite Ron meets in the hospital, the Dallas Buyers Club is born.

I'll be honest, I am not a fan of Matthew McConaughey - at least I wasn't until I watched this film. I always thought his "screen looks to acting ability coefficient" was up in the Tom Cruise range but, with this film, he has made me reconsider him. In DALLAS BUYERS CLUB, McConaughey has delivered the performance of his career. Woodruff is crude, funny, opportunistic, smart and caring, and McConaughey handles each aspect of his character with an assurance that we've never seen from him before. The boy can act and if he does land the Best Actor Oscar (R), it will be well deserved.

Go see this movie - not just for Matthew McConaughey's performance but also for Jared Leto's, who plays Rayon. I wouldn't be surprised if he wins the Best Supporting Actor Oscar (R).
August 12, 2016
Great movie. Scary stuff.
August 8, 2016
A non-sentimental of the survival struggle of a hard-living cowboy in the grip of death. From survival to compassion for others, through the friendship with Rayon, this cowboy tough guy becomes a kind of hero. The villain? FDA and the establishment in their bleak searching of "scientific truth".
½ August 2, 2016
Did Matthew McConaughey win an Oscar for this? If he didn't, he should have.
August 2, 2016
Loved this movie!!! I would turn gay for McConaughey.
July 30, 2016
McCaughey amazing, Leto amazing, Oscars deserved
July 25, 2016
What a great movie for something so heavy. Jarod Leto was fantastic