Dallas Buyers Club - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Dallas Buyers Club Reviews

September 10, 2017
You can't help but develop a deep respect for the loud spoken Ron Woodroof, played by Mathew McConaughey (In a 2013 Academy Award winning role). He is marked by prejudice and vice, but ends up developing a close relationship with the minority groups stricken by AIDs, and ends up helping others more than he ever thought possible through sheer determination. Based on real events from the AIDs crisis of the 1980s, we see the power of hope and resilience, and the worthwhile commitment of fighting for change. Some stories entertain, some provoke, and some inspire. The Dallas Buyers Club is a rare example of a film which does all three.
½ August 17, 2017
SCOTT: (Dr. Scott Allison, Professor of Psychology, University of Richmond) Greg, we just traveled back in time to Texas during the beginning of the AIDS epidemic in the 1980s.

GREG: (Greg Smith, Founder of Agile Writers of Richmond, VA) And boy are my arms tired. Let s recap.

SCOTT: It s 1985 and Ron Woodroof (Matthew McConaughey) is not in the best of health. He s shown to be a young cowboy who lives life in the fast lane. We see him immersed in hard-drinking, gambling, and seemingly endless sexual encounters with many different women. One day, after a fairly minor encounter with the law, Woodroof collapses and is sent to the hospital.

GREG: He learns that he has full-blown AIDS and has 30 days to live. Flabbergasted, he researches his condition at the library and learns that a new drug - AZT - is in trials at his local hospital. Unable to get into the trials, he bribes an orderly to sell him AZT. When the drug doesn t work for him, he goes on a bender and wakes up in a Mexico clinic where an American doctor (who had his licence revoked) treats him for his AIDS symptoms and tells him the AZT was killing him as fast as the AIDS. Woodroof is amazed at his recovery and packs his car with enough supplies to treat 300 people. But he has a hard time selling to the gay community because he s homophobic. He enlists the aid of a drag queen and his business takes off

SCOTT: Greg, I hereby declare 2013 the year of the real life biopic in the movies. We ve seen many films this year that are based on, or inspired by, real life events -- Captain Phillips, Philomena, The Book Thief, 12 Years a Slave, Saving Mr. Banks, among others. As with all these other true-to-life biopics, Dallas Buyers Club is a high quality story. Our hero Woodroof starts out an unlikeable jerk, a sexist, intolerant, drug-abusing, homophobic pig. His character shows slow, gradual growth in this movie. At first he s just looking to stay alive. Then he s motivated by greed when he sees a profit to be made in importing unapproved medications into the U.S. Slowly but surely, as he sees people suffering in droves, his motives shift toward being more altruistic. It s an interesting transformation to watch.

GREG: It s an engrossing hero s journey. And as with most hero s journeys, we need a villain. The villain in this story is the Food and Drug Administration. But the FDA is too nebulous an organization so the local doctor becomes the embodiment of the misdirected search for an HIV cure. They re focused on AZT which is toxic to the human body in large doses. The trials don t look good but the doctor keeps on with the program because AZT is the only treatment that is approved by the FDA. What puts Woodroof in opposition with this doctor and the FDA is his untested and unapproved supplements. The FDA wants to protect the public from snake oil salesmen (and boy does Woodroof visibly fit that bill), but turns a blind eye toward research that is going on in other parts of the world. This then creates the tension between Woodroof and his villain. And to contrast the good with the bad, Woodroof befriends a female doctor who is involved in the AZT trial - Dr. Eve Saks (Jennifer Garner). She is at first opposed to Woodroof s approach. But as the story builds, she begins to see that the FDA and her boss are moving too slowly and dogmatically to address the needs of their patients.

SCOTT: You re right, Greg. Woodroof s courageous journey is only made possible by the resistance he encounters by a healthcare bureaucracy that seems designed to thwart progress in combatting AIDS. It was a wise choice to show that the medical establishment was not entirely against Woodroof. His relationship with Dr. Saks and her growing appreciation for Woodroof s buyers club is an important part of the story. It is interesting to see how Woodroof s homophobia and intolerance wanes. His growing fondness and respect for Rayon (Jared Leto) is fascinating and rewarding to watch. When Ryon dies, he is outraged and no longer tolerates homophobic behavior from others. His transformation for elitism to egalitarianism is exactly the kind of evolution in character that we want to see in any good hero story.

GREG: I enjoyed Dallas Buyer s Club for the hero s journey as much as McConaugheys performance. It s impressive to watch Woodroof s growth as a person and to see him treat so many people at a time when HIV/AIDS was a death sentence. I give Dallas Buyer s Club 5 out of 5 Reels and Woodroof 5 out of 5 Heroes. Movie: Heroes:

SCOTT: McConaughey s performance is indeed stellar. His physical transformation as an actor was as dramatic as his character s transformation as a hero. I enjoyed Dallas Buyers Club but rate it a notch below your rating, Greg. I give it 4 out of 5 Reels. The hero transformation was dramatic and contained many elements of the classic hero journey. Woodroof enters a special world and encounters a mentor and several allies and villains. In the end, in order to triumph, he must overcome his own inner demons along with a resistant medical community. For these reasons, I agree he earns 5 out of 5 Heroes. Movie: Heroes:
August 17, 2017
Sad and it drags on. I don't know how this won awards
August 14, 2017
Great performances and a great story made this movie enjoyable to watch. 4/5
½ August 6, 2017
Great story, excellent acting, fabulous movie!
July 26, 2017
Fine acting from Matthew McConaughey and Jared Leto lift this period piece set during the AIDS crisis of the 1980's.
July 3, 2017
Not a great film as such but certainly two great central performances from McConaughey and Leto. McConaughey seems to have channeled his film stealing performance from 'Dazed and Confused' all those years ago and plays him again now, just as a cowboy with AIDs! There are some great lines in this film, again as a Oscar bait film though I do feel I wanted more of the actual story.
June 18, 2017
The best movie of 2013 ! An incredibly moving picture. Matthew McConaughey and Jared Leto give their best performances of their career, while Jennifer Garner is wonderful supporting.
June 8, 2017
This is a truly amazing film. Not only is the plot exciting, and moving, but the acting is what really succeeds. Jennifer Garner is so good, and is such a likable and powerful character, who should be recognized as one of the best supporting actresses of the year. As for Matthew McConaughey, he was beyond fantastic, and gave his best performance of his career. His creation of this character, Ron Woodroof, is portrayed so well, as he carries out every ounce of emotion out of it. From his tough guy, badass in the beginning of the film, to the sensitive, no longer homophobic guy at the end, he really transforms himself into a character that will be remembered forever. Now, for the true highlight...Jared Leto. Playing a man playing a woman is hard, but he pulled it off, definitely! His character choices worked perfectly and made the audience, even a straight man like me, fall in love with Rayon, a gay drag-queen struggling with AIDS. The final scenes in the film are the most powerful, and truly hits the heart with emotion and sadness, but also a power to want to change the world, and be a hero, like Ron Woodroff. This fantastic picture makes you want to go out and make a difference, save lives, and it's because of the incredible performances of Garner, McConaughey, and of course, Jared Leto, the star of the year, in "Dallas Buyers Club."
½ May 29, 2017
McConaughey and Leto are fantastic, but the film begins to lose interest in the latter stages of the story.
May 27, 2017
Very good insight into the early discovery of AIDS and the drugs available. The FDA are arseholes, its all about money and they've not changed much since. If it wasn't for the guy the films about then so many would have died sooner, including himself
May 24, 2017
"Dallas Buyers Club" gives its true story justice by having it carried by the committed performances of Matthew McConaughey and Jared Leto.
May 16, 2017
Another reminder about why the FDA is horrible. Also an inspiring, beautiful movie that shows how one guy turned his life around and helped a lot of people in the face of finding out he had AIDS. This dark cloud had a pretty good silver lining, at least.
April 3, 2017
Very good movie about how we deal with death. Do we give up or do we fight? Back in the 80's there were no drugs for AIDS yet. So this guy had to figure out how to survive without it. Very emotional movie.
March 23, 2017
Bicara tentang film ini, banyak tulisan yang menganggap bahwa adaptasi kisah nyata ini dinilai terlalu berlebihan, terutama pada sosok Woodroof. Terserah buat saya, bila film ini dianggap terlalu melebih-lebihkan realitanya. Tetapi, usaha Woodroof untuk mencari alternatif bagi kesembuhan virus HIV, perlu diacungi jempol walau hanya sebatas film ini.
March 14, 2017
This was a very good film. Very powerful . Crazy what people had to go through.
March 3, 2017
Could be a masterpiece but the directing isn't top-notch
½ February 28, 2017
Good acting.
Story line about eventual acceptance of more drugs to treat AIDS.
February 27, 2017
the best of the bunch - by bunch i mean oscar hungry films - could have had a better ending tho
February 26, 2017
Great movie and McConaughey is excellent.