Dallas Buyers Club - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Dallas Buyers Club Reviews

November 14, 2018
With an outstanding performance from Matthew McConaughey, this disturbing and poignant drama succeeds on so many different levels.
November 7, 2018
This film was great!
October 30, 2018
Actors are on the peak of their career here.
October 13, 2018
Dallas Buyers Club is one of my favorite movies mainly because its a really interesting story... and its true! I also feel like this movie inspired all of the subscription box services I've seen popping up ever since this movie came out. I also love the fashion in it. Highly recommend!!!!!!!!!!
½ October 11, 2018
"Dallas Buyers Club " manages to maintain the balance of events, that is, it maintains the same quality from start to finish. With dignified performances, the setting becomes useful for the progress of the story. Its plot becomes easy to understand, however, it leaves questions without answers.
September 18, 2018
Marc Bolan's photos played a supporting role.
July 8, 2018
McConaughey and Jared Leto put their best foot forward for this remarkable drama about how a man dying of AIDS is doing his best to help others survive this ordeal. The performances are Oscar-worthy and the plot is utterly stirring.
½ July 5, 2018
This movie blew my expectations out of the water. Exellent movie.
½ June 19, 2018
A gritty, dark look at life during the early AIDS crisis in America perfectly portrayed by Matthew McConaughey and Jared Leto who both did dramatic things to their bodies to play HIV positive characters who, through desperation to find a cure or treatment for their disease, bring together two completely different worlds and run an underground drug cocktail club instead of waiting on the greedy FDA and pharm companies. Oscar worthy performances by Matthew and Jared overshadow the tiny over-dramatization and flawed character construction of Jennifer Garner.
½ May 12, 2018
An award winning performance paired with a riveting true story.

Matthew McConaughey stars in DALLAS BUYERS CLUB as real-life Texas cowboy Ron Woodroof, whose free-wheeling life was overturned in 1985 when he was diagnosed as HIV-positive and given 30 days to live. These were the early days of the AIDS epidemic, and the U.S. was divided over how to combat the virus. Ron, now shunned and ostracized by many of his old friends, and bereft of government-approved effective medicines, decided to take matters in his own hands, tracking down alternative treatments from all over the world by means both legal and illegal. Bypassing the establishment, the entrepreneurial Woodroof joined forces with an unlikely band of renegades and outcasts - who he once would have shunned - and established a hugely successful "buyers' club." Their shared struggle for dignity and acceptance is a uniquely American story of the transformative power of resilience.

Before watching this film the other night, I honestly had no idea what it was about. In fact, I hadn't realized how recently it was released. So, my friends and I sat down with a bottle of wine, popped it open, and go to watching. To no surprise, this film was flat out amazing and Matthew McConaughey's performance was riveting. He immersed himself in the role and made a name for himself here. This was not only a great all around film, but a fantastic one at that.

Let's talk about Matthew McConaughey for a second. This man has had some pretty great moments over the years but this might be one of my favorite pieces of work from him. This guy really immersed himself in the role and certainly put on a show. I think he lead the cast along with Jared Leto, who was absolutely breathless in this role. These two really stole the show and gave performances for their careers. Jennifer Garner and others were no less than great and the cast certainly pushed this film to greatness.

About halfway through this film I thought to myself, "Is this a true story?". Low and behold, it's based on a true story and that's the crazy part to me. Ron Woodruff wasn't a standout guy by any means but based on what I saw here, he did something that most would hesitate to do. I don't want to say much without looking more into what happened but if there's one thing to be said, it's that I'm really in awe at what happened here and I'd love to learn more about it.

I think that it was also a great insight to be able to look into a different decade and see how others were treated differently. The aids phenomenon and transgender situations were relatively new and people didn't much about them. People were scared and they treated people like shit. While there are still problems today, it's a huge difference compared to what it was back then. I just thought it was really eye opening to see those kinds of situations on screen.

In the end, I thought this film was fantastic. I certainly wish that I watched this film earlier and it's something that I can't wait to add to my collection.
April 14, 2018
I absolutely LOVED this movie. I think that this is Matthew McConaughey's best performance. Now the subject matter of this movie may not be for everyone. The story is about a hard living, hard drinking/drugging rodeo cowboy Ron Woodruff who contracts HIV. Woodruff won't go down with out a fight and takes matters into his own hands to seek treatment and to then help others seek treatment as well. As much as I can't say enough about Matthew McConaughey's performance in this movie, Jared Leto steals the show as Rayon. Leto really brought this role to life and both Matthew McConaughey and Jared Leto deserved their Oscars for this
½ April 10, 2018
mcconaughey's stunning performance is only renewed with every poignant, against-the-odds affair. the film does harbor partisan homosexual sentiments without ever feeling the need to justify it. but it asserts courage is never infallible or clear-cut, being exerted either as a matter of duty or desire for 'justice' for its own sake.
½ April 9, 2018
McConaughey and Leto turn in exceptional performances in this film about combating the AIDS virus in the 1980s as-well-as questions the government's involvement in the role of medicine.
March 10, 2018
Matthew mcconaughey. that is all.
½ February 23, 2018
Dallas Buyers Club is an incredible true story about Ron Woodruff, a man who got AIDS and started an AIDS buyers club selling drugs and pain relievers. Matthew McConaughey and Jared Leto both gives the best performances of their careers which truly gives the movie what it needs. How much someone changes after getting an incurable disease and being a homophobe and meeting someone who wants a sex change and is homosexual is truly amazing and all the emotional scenes and great story is something we can all like.
February 19, 2018
5/5. Dallas Buyers Club is in a incredible and tragic story that really gives you some feels. Matthew McConaughey and Jared Leto have incredible chemistry and the movie really makes you root for these doomed characters.
February 14, 2018
Amazing performance by Jared Leto andvMatthew McConaughey.
February 11, 2018
Great acting, great story
½ February 9, 2018
I had no idea what this movie was going to be about, though I was intrigued throughout. The performances are pretty amazing, though the weakest facet has got to be the pacing. Pretty great movie.
February 3, 2018
Amazing to see how much weight Matthew lost for this role as well Leto. It's interesting how they don't mention what year this is taking place in. But they do mention Rock Hudson having AIDS which led me to do some side research and find out that the movie takes place around 1984 or 1985.

He fucking takes the medication, two of them, then swallows it with beer, and to top it off, does a line of coke. Has he learned nothing?! I can't believe the AZT medication was actually killing his cell count. These fucking pharmaceutical company's man, really hard to trust them. Unbelievable how he became healthier by going to some small operating doctor in Mexico.

Jared Leto's character is great. The premise of the story is very interesting. It makes you question a lot of things, namely, Big Pharma. Funny how Matthew's character is all of a sudden being thrusted into the whole LBGT community, him being homophobe and all.

Brilliant how he took a simple concept and with the help of Leto's character, is now in control of his own company and making a killing. This movie has surprising sense of good humor.

I'm glad that nurse doctor did what she did telling them to go fuck themselves. It's bullshit the amount of shady shit that goes on that the people don't know about. You got the FDA, who are just being bullies, and then you got the court who can't do anything without evidence.

Overall, very remarkable and captivating story and the way it was told, you just can't help but watch it unfold. Terrific film, wonderful acting!