Dallas Buyers Club - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Dallas Buyers Club Reviews

January 14, 2019
A harrowing watch of a man withering away due to HIV/AIDS.

Dallas Buyers Club (2013) is one of the finest films ever made. Director Jean-Marc Vallee matches slick panning shots and rapid fire cuts with devastating close up shots and long held shots on characters to rip the emotions out of you. Dallas Buyers Club is well crafted by Vallee with a careful purpose to not go too far to offend the subjects or people like them. Dallas Buyers Club is a success of human empathy in understanding the victims of a terrible disease with no cure and only treatment.

Treatment is the main theme in Dallas Buyers Club as we see a man treated poorly by others and he once did to them, so that he must change in order to help treat other patients of the HIV/AIDS epidemic. Here as we follow Matthew McConaughey's brilliant and awe inspiring performance as Ron Woodroof. His treatment by doctors, of doctors, and instead of doctors leaves a hole in your heart. His massive weight loss is startling to witness with his gaunt frame and hollow eyes. But McConaughey's real talent is in portraying the complex humanity in Woodroof, who goes from a wastrel homophobe to a brave survivor that helps others live on despite their illness. McConaughey is brilliant in Dallas Buyers Club and certainly earned his Best Actor Oscar. He gave a sincere and hard to watch realistic display of empathy and compassion. He is an incredible actor.

Similarly, Jared Leto goes all in as the highly effeminate Rayon. His tender voice and kindly persona give Rayon a warm welcoming vibe that is quite endearing. I found his portrayal of this dying angel to feel sincere, captivating, and heartrending. There is a profound sadness to his character that feels hopeless, but his lively personality lends a genuine charm to Dallas Buyers Club. I love Jared Leto in Dallas Buyers Club and I am glad he won Best Supporting Actor for such a powerful performance.

Lastly, I must mention that Jennifer Garner gives what is perhaps her greatest acting performance alongside two outstanding acting depictions from McConaughey and Leto. Garner feels so genuine as a doctor that desperately wants to help her dying patients. She comes across as very sweet and intelligent.

Dallas Buyers Club feels all the more important as it brings to light the FDA and federal government's profiteering off of dying patients in order to prevent their curing. Doctors and businesses refusing to hear, help, or accept outside research is shocking and upsetting to see. Who knows how many have died who could have been treated with better medicine instead of dying at the hands of doctors just prescribing what they are told to by the FDA. Dallas Buyers Club thus feels immediate and significant. There should be serious change in the world of medicine as medical costs still skyrocket in America as millions go without coverage or health insurance. Where will the dying get their medicine and treatment from if not from the doctors? Dallas Buyers Club gives an alternative that is worth hearing.

I highly recommend Dallas Buyers Club as a gripping biopic of immense sorrow and hardship, while doubling as a humanistic drama of understanding those that are different that you. Dallas Buyers Club also perseveres as a infuriating account of medical reform that is so very necessary.
½ January 1, 2019
Matthew McConaughey's best performance in a thought-provoking and well-written piece which continues to be among my most watched films. Tremendous supporting performances only help to highlight that of McConaughey.
½ December 25, 2018
Jólin 2018 á húsavík
December 16, 2018
I really enjoyed it and felt that it brought compassion to a subject that many people don't understand. Well done.
December 14, 2018
Wonderful perfomance for McConaughey, I am love with this movie.
½ December 6, 2018
Worst film I have ever seen, a filthy propaganda.
December 5, 2018
Skinny dude likes drugs. Sells them to minors then gives them AIDS sad story.
November 14, 2018
With an outstanding performance from Matthew McConaughey, this disturbing and poignant drama succeeds on so many different levels.
November 7, 2018
This film was great!
October 30, 2018
Actors are on the peak of their career here.
October 13, 2018
Dallas Buyers Club is one of my favorite movies mainly because its a really interesting story... and its true! I also feel like this movie inspired all of the subscription box services I've seen popping up ever since this movie came out. I also love the fashion in it. Highly recommend!!!!!!!!!!
½ October 11, 2018
"Dallas Buyers Club " manages to maintain the balance of events, that is, it maintains the same quality from start to finish. With dignified performances, the setting becomes useful for the progress of the story. Its plot becomes easy to understand, however, it leaves questions without answers.
September 18, 2018
Marc Bolan's photos played a supporting role.
July 8, 2018
McConaughey and Jared Leto put their best foot forward for this remarkable drama about how a man dying of AIDS is doing his best to help others survive this ordeal. The performances are Oscar-worthy and the plot is utterly stirring.
½ July 5, 2018
This movie blew my expectations out of the water. Exellent movie.
½ June 19, 2018
A gritty, dark look at life during the early AIDS crisis in America perfectly portrayed by Matthew McConaughey and Jared Leto who both did dramatic things to their bodies to play HIV positive characters who, through desperation to find a cure or treatment for their disease, bring together two completely different worlds and run an underground drug cocktail club instead of waiting on the greedy FDA and pharm companies. Oscar worthy performances by Matthew and Jared overshadow the tiny over-dramatization and flawed character construction of Jennifer Garner.
½ May 12, 2018
An award winning performance paired with a riveting true story.

Matthew McConaughey stars in DALLAS BUYERS CLUB as real-life Texas cowboy Ron Woodroof, whose free-wheeling life was overturned in 1985 when he was diagnosed as HIV-positive and given 30 days to live. These were the early days of the AIDS epidemic, and the U.S. was divided over how to combat the virus. Ron, now shunned and ostracized by many of his old friends, and bereft of government-approved effective medicines, decided to take matters in his own hands, tracking down alternative treatments from all over the world by means both legal and illegal. Bypassing the establishment, the entrepreneurial Woodroof joined forces with an unlikely band of renegades and outcasts - who he once would have shunned - and established a hugely successful "buyers' club." Their shared struggle for dignity and acceptance is a uniquely American story of the transformative power of resilience.

Before watching this film the other night, I honestly had no idea what it was about. In fact, I hadn't realized how recently it was released. So, my friends and I sat down with a bottle of wine, popped it open, and go to watching. To no surprise, this film was flat out amazing and Matthew McConaughey's performance was riveting. He immersed himself in the role and made a name for himself here. This was not only a great all around film, but a fantastic one at that.

Let's talk about Matthew McConaughey for a second. This man has had some pretty great moments over the years but this might be one of my favorite pieces of work from him. This guy really immersed himself in the role and certainly put on a show. I think he lead the cast along with Jared Leto, who was absolutely breathless in this role. These two really stole the show and gave performances for their careers. Jennifer Garner and others were no less than great and the cast certainly pushed this film to greatness.

About halfway through this film I thought to myself, "Is this a true story?". Low and behold, it's based on a true story and that's the crazy part to me. Ron Woodruff wasn't a standout guy by any means but based on what I saw here, he did something that most would hesitate to do. I don't want to say much without looking more into what happened but if there's one thing to be said, it's that I'm really in awe at what happened here and I'd love to learn more about it.

I think that it was also a great insight to be able to look into a different decade and see how others were treated differently. The aids phenomenon and transgender situations were relatively new and people didn't much about them. People were scared and they treated people like shit. While there are still problems today, it's a huge difference compared to what it was back then. I just thought it was really eye opening to see those kinds of situations on screen.

In the end, I thought this film was fantastic. I certainly wish that I watched this film earlier and it's something that I can't wait to add to my collection.
April 14, 2018
I absolutely LOVED this movie. I think that this is Matthew McConaughey's best performance. Now the subject matter of this movie may not be for everyone. The story is about a hard living, hard drinking/drugging rodeo cowboy Ron Woodruff who contracts HIV. Woodruff won't go down with out a fight and takes matters into his own hands to seek treatment and to then help others seek treatment as well. As much as I can't say enough about Matthew McConaughey's performance in this movie, Jared Leto steals the show as Rayon. Leto really brought this role to life and both Matthew McConaughey and Jared Leto deserved their Oscars for this
½ April 10, 2018
mcconaughey's stunning performance is only renewed with every poignant, against-the-odds affair. the film does harbor partisan homosexual sentiments without ever feeling the need to justify it. but it asserts courage is never infallible or clear-cut, being exerted either as a matter of duty or desire for 'justice' for its own sake.
½ April 9, 2018
McConaughey and Leto turn in exceptional performances in this film about combating the AIDS virus in the 1980s as-well-as questions the government's involvement in the role of medicine.