Damnation Alley - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Damnation Alley Reviews

½ June 28, 2016
Fairly lousy wasteland road picture, but there are some great elements and ideas in it. Not enough to save it from being strictly b-movie schlock, but I can think of worse ways to waste time.
October 8, 2015
In the Summer of Star Wars, Ark II crossbred with The A Team, and encountered numerous film filters, poorly superimposed scorpions, killer roaches and hillbilly mutants. Briefly a midnight cult favorite, now it looks ripe for a riffing.
½ October 4, 2015
Jack Smight's cheesy post apocalyptic road movie is a fun ride, it concerns five survivors of a nuclear holocaust who travel cross-country in "Landmaster' a specially-designed 12-wheeled armored all-terrain military vehicle, which is equipped with front and back cannons and twin overhead rocket launchers, they are searching for other survivors and settlements, along the way they will encounter giant scorpions, man-eating killer cockroaches, some murderous radioactive hillbillies, freak storms and floods with a sky that is a mass of swirling colors. Awful dialogue with some of the cheapest looking practical special effects you'll ever see. As for the cast which is led by the late George Peppard, who is a campy delight as by-the book officer, Major Eugene Denton, a wooden Jan-Michael Vincent as rebellious junior officer, the late Paul Winfield, in a good turn as Vincent's officer buddy, and Dominque Sanda as the token female eye candy member of the group. Overall an enjoyable guilty pleasure. Recommended.
May 2, 2015
Post-apocalyptic B movie from the 70's that was meant to be the big sci-fi hit of 1977, until a unexpected force known as Star Wars took that spot which made this end up being a box office flop.
It's hardly surprising why people went to see Star Wars instead, as this is B movie crap in comparison, but some of the film works such as the post-apocalyptic setting, which is something audiences would be more familiar with a few years later with the Mad Max films.
What ruined it for me is the special effects of the bugs and the fact that it is slow moving which didn't help when the people making this thought it the bugs made it worth waiting for.
It's cool to see a pre-A Team George Peppard and a young Jan-Michael Vincent at the time of such action classics as The Mechanic and Hooper.
½ April 26, 2015
Usually you can tell whether a film is going to be good or bad from your first impression of how it looks, and in the case of this film, I could tell right away that it was going to be a really bad film. The first sign of this was the way it opened. It was very brief and hurried along, and while the story isn't technically bad, it could have been far better. The whole film felt like it was rushed beyond belief, and that especially goes for its special effects. The film itself looks like a made-for-TV production, but it goes beyond that low with nonsensical killer cockroaches, and giant scorpions that are actually normal scorpions filmed up close and superimposed into the film. I've seen a lot of films with lazily bad special effects, but this is one of the worst examples I've ever seen. The characters are all mindless stock characters with dry performances, and their performances seem to convey the sensation that the actors were really unenthusiastic about the script. The only thing about this movie that was fairly decent was the soundtrack, but it doesn't really matter in the end. If you know right away that this is going to be a bad movie, then there's not a lot of hope for this film. Although, the fact that I expected the film to be this badly made is the only reason why I don't completely hate the film. In fact, I can't help but think that this is exactly what I expected.
April 26, 2015
A cheesy, distaster B-movie of the 1970s, full of giant insects and thin characters.
April 26, 2015
This movie was just plain garbage. Everything about it was thoroughly weak and unimpressive, and it feels horribly outdated for its time. And you know what? That's all I can say other than you can tell from the very start that it would suck.
½ November 20, 2014
Trashy post-apocalyptic boyish adventure film. The acting isn't great and the various life threatening scenes all overplayed, but there's a charm about it despite George Peppard's dodgy moustache.
October 10, 2014
Another of the countless 70's disaster movies. Cheesy, but fun.
½ April 14, 2014
Mediocre 70s disaster sci-fi. The Landmaster is cool though.
½ April 4, 2014
A pretty standard post apocalyptic survival movie. A must see for the genre fans! After watching this flick I know now a lot of stuff was inspired from this movie. Giant Scorpions!
January 7, 2014
The book it ain't; no faithful retelling of Zelazny's story to see here. But it is Cheesy-tastic sci-fi B movie goodness at it's very best, totally tops, a must see!
November 7, 2013
A classic movie. RL vehicle, that other than this movie was in a game as a science vehicle but made a bit longer. Post apocalypse type movie.
August 4, 2013
Damnation Alley is a classic scifi road trip film with lots of b-movie fun. The film might seem dated and a bit silly (as old scifi often is campy this is no shocker).
The film is likely popular and has developed a cult following due to some fun FX. There is some gore, some giant insects and a trippy sky that makes this a good watch right after 2001 if you feel like taking a "trip"
Unfortunately for Damnation Alley, it was released right around the same time as another film that reshapped scifi and to this day, is one of the most beloved films of all time... Star Wars.
So give Damnation Alley a chance if you like old scifi and campy b-movie fun... just don't do it after watching Star Wars.
½ April 17, 2013
Another terrible film sack movie that was worth watching just to hear the podcast. 70s movie so I wasn't excepting to much, I just feel there was a lot of crap and some of the effects were just bad.
½ February 24, 2013
Got to love the true, breakout star of the movie, the LANDMASTER!!! And the story was decent and intriging.The movie does show it's age, but it holds the cult movie title proudly.
October 24, 2012
Fun and surprisingly memorable.
July 6, 2012
In bon vieux film de Sci -fi
May 13, 2012
Whatever it has laughably bad effects, that include giant scorpions that are the worst superimposition job I've ever seen.