A Damsel in Distress - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

A Damsel in Distress Reviews

½ February 21, 2016
Besides the young annoying butler with the bad English accent, this is a fun feel good romantic comedy musical. Great dancing, singing and cute story. A little cheesy of course, but the witty scenes in the fun house and the drum dancing make it enjoyable.
½ February 20, 2016
It's always nice to watch Fred dance.
February 27, 2015
I loved it! Apart from the dancing, which was great, the biting repartee made me laugh out loud, I don't know how many times! Jolly good show!
January 27, 2015
Amiable Fred Astaire musical (his first starring role sans Ginger Rogers) is backed up with comedy from Burns & Allen, and a wonderful Gershwin score which includes "A Foggy Day," "Nice Work If You Can Get It," "I Can't Be Bothered Now," and "Stiff Upper Lip," which won an Oscar for its dance production.
½ May 12, 2014
to much shooting outdoors caused the on-screen quality to be quite poor at times -though it was perfect for "A foggy day" - no memorable dance numbers, less funny lines for Freddie but Gracie Allen was great.
½ February 10, 2014
Gracie Allen stands out the most in this lackluster movie.
½ January 8, 2014
A Damsel in Distress in Distress is an amazing film. it is about Lady Alyce Marshmorton who must marry soon, and the staff of Tottney Castle have laid bets on who she'll choose. Fred Astaire and Joan Fontaine giving excellent performances. The screenplay is well written. George Stevens did a great job directing this movie. I enjoyed watching this motion picture because of the humor and romance. A Damsel in Distress is a must see.
December 16, 2013
Astaire and his vet terp aide, Hermes Pan, have devised four corking dance routines which director George Stevens has expertly envisioned and mounted.
½ December 14, 2013
Gracie Allen cracks me up!
September 17, 2013
A bit light as a screwball comedy; Burns, Allen, & Astaire sing and dance in highly memorable skits. With Fred showing off his percussive skills and singing two classic tunes to boot (Foggy Day and Nice Work). Gracie manages to outdance her partners (Threesome!) in the fun-house! I can't understand why this isn't as classic as Duck Soup, Blazing Saddles, Pink Panther, 9 to 5, or Some Like It Hot. Oh yeah, Gracie had A-cups -- so what?
December 15, 2011
Likable romantic musical made better for Gracie Allen's dumb blonde performance.
½ October 5, 2010
Clumsy, and Joan Fontaine had not yet discovered how to act, but it's entertaining due to three things: Fred Astaire, George Burns, and Gracie Allen. The Burns/Allen routine in particular had me laughing out loud throughout. Montagu Love also gets a good comedic role, which is a pleasant change from his usual heavies. The dance routines are spectacular, but obviously sideline the plot, which is unfortunate. Not as good as the Astaire/Rogers flicks, but still OK nonetheless.
½ September 18, 2010
Another predictable romance movie! Well, at least it has Burns and Allen to offer some jokes along the way.
½ July 30, 2009
A really fun musical comedy - Gracie Allen is priceless, i find her so funny! some very creative musical numbers, great cast, just sit back and enjoy this classic.
MissMorganLeee
½ May 31, 2009
this is such a funny movie! First off Gracie Allen is a hoot! she being that dumb is soo believible! I always love Fred Astaire , his voice and dancing! The whole story line was pretty funny! The scene when george burns cant hold in the Opera and just burst out is soo hillarious!
November 15, 2008
Based on a book that was a bit funnier, George Burns and Gracie Allen add the humor to this ok movie. Fred is as debonair as ever and his comic moments are great. I think the best thing about Ginger (and perhaps what is missing here) is the way she-as the lead character- is not afraid to be laughed at. More character actors could have been used, but still it's not bad.
½ March 8, 2008
The only Fred Astaire movie in a ten year span that he made without Ginger Rogers. I, like most every other Astaire fan, appreciate his song/dance numbers in this film. Little else is of consequence
November 14, 2007
The fuinnest movie I've ever seen!!
November 1, 2007
A giddy but classy 1930s gem, an antidote to some of the more ridiculous Technicolor musicals of the '50s.
½ October 26, 2005