The Dancer Upstairs - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Dancer Upstairs Reviews

½ October 23, 2010
This is an artsy, intelligent, intense thriller that will keep you on the edge of your seat. John Malkovich can be proud of his directorial debut. A police detective (Bardem) in an unnamed Latin American country dedicates himself to hunting down a revolutionary guerilla leader (Abel Folk) who is slowly and systematically destroying their capital city in the name of a mysterious revolution. I'd watch Javier Bardem in anything because he's always compelling as well as smouldering and that's a pretty fine combination!

This synopsis is excellent:

"The story of Detective Agustin Rejas, a man clinging to the hope of an impossible love in an impossible world. Tracking Ezequiel, a delusional anarchist who incites the downtrodden masses to join in his brutal revolution against the fascist government in their unnamed Latin American country, Rejas finds solace in his sense of self-respect and the joy that his daughter and wife bring him. Then he meets Yolanda--his daughter's soulfully beautiful ballet teacher--a woman who sparks his long-forgotten passions and represents all that is good and all that is corrupt in their troubled country. But she, who appears to be a shelter from the storm, may in actuality be the storm's eye. Ultimately, as the revolution intensifies and the net closes around hunter and hunted alike, the dancer's truth will prove as elusive as the revolutionary's cause and the detective's peace." ~ Written by Sujit R. Varma
½ July 25, 2010
Not my kind of thing at all. I had to turn it off after 20mins. I just really have no interest in political movies. If this got more interesting further into the film, I wouldn't know. I don't have much tolerance these days.
½ May 26, 2010
For a directorial debut, John Malkovich gives a pretty promising and passionate one as well. Mr. Malkovich has created a pretty stunning political thriller featuring a pitch perfect performance by Javier Bardem as an ambitious police captain, saddled with a materialistic wife, who finds himself falling for his daughter's dancing teacher while hunting for a a revolutionary leader in an unnamed Latin American state. an intellegent, disturbing, suspenseful, and moving film perfectly paced and very well photographed.
May 5, 2010
Interesting debut for Malkovich who does well as a director. The mystery of the story starts to drag after a while, but the conclusion is worth waiting for.
April 28, 2010
An interesting but somewhat unsatisfying film. It holds great promise with wonderful acting and scenery but it seems to stall somewhere in the middle and the resolution to the two main storylines left me feeling a bit short-changed. It's as if all the pieces were in place for a great film except the second half of the script. More films would do well to emulate the subtlety of the film's pace and acting. I just wish it told a better story. Could have been a classic.
March 22, 2010
En skremmende god film!
January 9, 2010
Para polu wraia mousiki epentisi....
½ December 17, 2009
Good movie, good acting...suspenseful...not what I thought it would be about at all...

Somewhat predictable ending...
½ October 14, 2009
Interesting drama/thriller...
½ October 6, 2009
good acting and story with a twist
September 26, 2009
klassic john malkovic movie
August 29, 2009
Liked the movie minus the animal parts. It was somewhat slow, but a nice change of pace.
July 15, 2009
Javier Bardem, amazing as always, but what a strange movie.
June 30, 2009
The most quiet scream I 've ever heard.
June 9, 2009
Great casting selection, Awsome story line I loved loved loved this movie. Viva el presidente Ezequiel! LOL
½ June 1, 2009
takes you away to latin america the actor is the bad guy from no country for old men
May 26, 2009
I've never been a fan of JM's acting, but he's obviously a really talented director. This was a first-rate history lesson woven into a thriller.
½ May 3, 2009
intrusive score, garbled plot but a few good performance/scenes... nice cinematography
½ April 14, 2009
No se bien que decir con esta pelicula, de primera impresion no se si la detesto o me gusta. Me parece algo enmarañada y confusa, aunque por otro lado te sorprende y esta muy bien llevada a cabo a pesar de lo compleja de la tematica. Las actuaciones en general bien, aunque me hubiera gustado que la rodaran en español� por que todos los actores sonaban extraño. Bardem la vdd muy bien en su roll, en cuanto al guion no me parece fantastico me parece que a momentos se desvia y te aburre un poco�. Film peculiar