Dances With Wolves - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Dances With Wolves Reviews

½ July 12, 2016
Great in some parts, such as the acting and the battle scenes, but too slow and dry in other parts, such as the pace and story.
July 9, 2016
Tengo que admirar muchas cosas de esta película, la cinematografia, la ambición, las actuaciones, y la dirección, pero para mi tiene un problema muy grande y es el tiempo, ya sea la versión de 3 horas o la de 4 horas, se siente muy larga, habían muchas partes donde me aburrí, siento que no me dan ganas de volverla a ver, y eso no es bueno para mi, quiero sentir las ganas de volver a ver la película, repetirla una y otra vez, con esta no ocurrió, tal vez en unos cuantos años más le de otra oportunidad.
July 2, 2016
The movie is an impressive feat of directing and sweeping adventure. I was touched by the story and I think it is a very humane one to tell. I just feel that since the movie is supposed to have the feel of an epic, it is pretty overlong. I do admit that the time the movie took made me care and appreciate the messages more, but it takes away from what could've been a more entertaining movie. It's still a movie with well-directed scenes and very good performances. One of the best, if not the best movie that Kevin Costner has been a part of. His passion for the story shows and he tells it in a way that keeps you interested. I appreciated what the movie had to say and think it is well-worth your time.
June 6, 2016
This film is intense.
½ May 24, 2016
Though the first hour is very nice to look at and interesting. It is very slow and you can get distracted. But once it picks up it picks up fast and the next 2 and a half hours we are given great characters as well as great action and a wonderful story that educates people on the culture of Indian people. In the end you could watch 4 more hours of it and not get bored with the characters or story. It has its humor that evens out its drama and intense moments and leaves you not wanting it to end.
May 20, 2016
Top of the line 5 star movie ... !!!
May 12, 2016
Sorry, I found this to be boring and over-done. Admittedly it's intentions/goals are grande, but the final product isn't.
½ May 11, 2016
Breath-taking visuals and good music are fine, but it indulges in it's own political message
½ May 2, 2016
Fuck this vapid shit. If you honestly like this retarded vanity project then you are too vulnerable to the hype and bullshit of hollywood to understand it, or any other awads bait peice of shit movie made. Goodfellas lost out to this peice of shit, and if that doesn't inspire a profound cynicism of the academy then nothing truly will.
May 1, 2016
Dutifully serving as director, producer, and star, Kevin Costner has crafted a true masterpiece with his Western drama, "Dances with Wolves". Costner's performance - as well as the performances of Mary McDonnell and Graham Greene - are marvelous, as is the simple, dramatic nature of the film. But most marvelous of all is how beautifully shot this film is. The cinematography is truly something to behold!

To my knowledge, there is not another film that honors and pays more respect to the Native Americans and their way of life than this film does. The attention to detail and the amount of time dedicated to exploring this world are among its many assets. "Dances with Wolves" serves as an excellent reminder of how film can be used to explore the beauty and wonder of other cultures.
April 21, 2016
Dances with Wolves (1990) ????
Literate, magnificent saga detailing loner Kevin Costner and his very subtle relationship with the natives and surroundings around his nostalgic Civil War commanding post. Not a false note in characterization or period detail, this fascinating, evocative, painful film packs an emotional wallop. Academy Award wins for Picture, Direction, Screenplay, Cinematography, others. Impressive directorial debut for Costner.
April 6, 2016
Dancing With Wolves starring Kevin Costner tells the tale of a former Confederate Officer who transitions into joining the Union forces during the Civil War. He is a man who at the end of the movie is almost dying because of loss of blood and is miraculously given the strength to mount a noble steed and head toward certain death. However, our hero escapes and goes toward doing what is right. The social commentary of the film surrounds the idea of death of self as a rebirth. He is a man who was living and being apart of the wrong side but he escapes by some Spiritual grace and is transformed. After being taken in by the Sioux tribe he sees that what has happened is not a coincidence and strives to overcome conflict and find his path. The movie is elegantly shot and some of the views are breathtakingly colorful. The soundtrack adds depth and pace and makes the shorter seems as well as the longer ones more enthralling. By the time the movie revolves we see the archetype of the "rebirth" as Costner is completely transformed and his moral standing is honored by the Sioux peoples as well as those fighting for the Union. It was a slow burn and by that I mean it took a while for it to develop but when it did, boy was it good. I would highly recommend this film and I think that I gained a greater appreciation to natural lighting and nature shots after seeing this film. Even though it was a four hour film the cinematography, lighting and sound make it a masterpiece of its time and preserves the film.
February 1, 2016
This is my favorite film. It is outstanding, very dramatic. The story, the action scenes, everything about it is brilliant. I like the setting of the film during the Civil War Era and how John Dunbar helped the Sioux Indians.
February 1, 2016
January 31, 2016
A complete, enjoyable, over the top journey.
January 30, 2016
Improvising a time of war into a graceful period. Although Savory definably distraught....
January 25, 2016
Historic, important, and powerful. I was captured by this as a 12 year old. I am still impressed by this flick's ability to keep me enthralled for over three hours. Like all good movies, it doesn't matter how long they are if they are entertaining.
½ January 24, 2016
Only watches because it was best picture...,but a solid flick
December 27, 2015
This is one of the best movies I've ever watched. I love the story, the drama, the whole concept. I watch it at least once a year.
December 15, 2015
This is a movie about improbable friendship, Kevin Costner's masterpiece and Hollywood's most compelling story in more than a decade.