Dances With Wolves - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Dances With Wolves Reviews

May 1, 2016
Dutifully serving as director, producer, and star, Kevin Costner has crafted a true masterpiece with his Western drama, "Dances with Wolves". Costner's performance - as well as the performances of Mary McDonnell and Graham Greene - are marvelous, as is the simple, dramatic nature of the film. But most marvelous of all is how beautifully shot this film is. The cinematography is truly something to behold!

To my knowledge, there is not another film that honors and pays more respect to the Native Americans and their way of life than this film does. The attention to detail and the amount of time dedicated to exploring this world are among its many assets. "Dances with Wolves" serves as an excellent reminder of how film can be used to explore the beauty and wonder of other cultures.
April 21, 2016
Dances with Wolves (1990) ????
Literate, magnificent saga detailing loner Kevin Costner and his very subtle relationship with the natives and surroundings around his nostalgic Civil War commanding post. Not a false note in characterization or period detail, this fascinating, evocative, painful film packs an emotional wallop. Academy Award wins for Picture, Direction, Screenplay, Cinematography, others. Impressive directorial debut for Costner.
April 6, 2016
Dancing With Wolves starring Kevin Costner tells the tale of a former Confederate Officer who transitions into joining the Union forces during the Civil War. He is a man who at the end of the movie is almost dying because of loss of blood and is miraculously given the strength to mount a noble steed and head toward certain death. However, our hero escapes and goes toward doing what is right. The social commentary of the film surrounds the idea of death of self as a rebirth. He is a man who was living and being apart of the wrong side but he escapes by some Spiritual grace and is transformed. After being taken in by the Sioux tribe he sees that what has happened is not a coincidence and strives to overcome conflict and find his path. The movie is elegantly shot and some of the views are breathtakingly colorful. The soundtrack adds depth and pace and makes the shorter seems as well as the longer ones more enthralling. By the time the movie revolves we see the archetype of the "rebirth" as Costner is completely transformed and his moral standing is honored by the Sioux peoples as well as those fighting for the Union. It was a slow burn and by that I mean it took a while for it to develop but when it did, boy was it good. I would highly recommend this film and I think that I gained a greater appreciation to natural lighting and nature shots after seeing this film. Even though it was a four hour film the cinematography, lighting and sound make it a masterpiece of its time and preserves the film.
March 9, 2016
Giving Best Picture to "Goodfellas" would have been gift wrapping cinema's top prize.
February 1, 2016
This is my favorite film. It is outstanding, very dramatic. The story, the action scenes, everything about it is brilliant. I like the setting of the film during the Civil War Era and how John Dunbar helped the Sioux Indians.
February 1, 2016
January 31, 2016
A complete, enjoyable, over the top journey.
January 30, 2016
Improvising a time of war into a graceful period. Although Savory definably distraught....
January 25, 2016
Historic, important, and powerful. I was captured by this as a 12 year old. I am still impressed by this flick's ability to keep me enthralled for over three hours. Like all good movies, it doesn't matter how long they are if they are entertaining.
½ January 24, 2016
Only watches because it was best picture...,but a solid flick
December 27, 2015
This is one of the best movies I've ever watched. I love the story, the drama, the whole concept. I watch it at least once a year.
December 15, 2015
This is a movie about improbable friendship, Kevin Costner's masterpiece and Hollywood's most compelling story in more than a decade.
December 12, 2015
Simple, but heartfelt and breathtakingly filmed, this is a great movie about a disenchanted Civil War hero who finds himself at home with the Native Americans in the Midwest.
December 9, 2015
Dances With Wolves is one of the most beautifully filmed films I have ever seen. When you got great cinematography and a great story, you got one heck of a epic.
December 5, 2015
Dances with Wolves is a cinematic landmark that still manages to entertain, even with an extended running time of 234 minutes.
November 21, 2015
November 18, 2015
This is my post.

Lt. John Dunbar is stationed at an old, deserted outpost in the middle of the prairie. He quickly makes friends with a local wolf that garners respect from the Sioux Indian tribe. The Sioux's are constantly at war with the government, but Dunbar actually relates better to their way of life...which puts his position and lifestyle at risk.

"I don't know where you are."
"Good."

Kevin Costner, director of The Postman and Open Range, delivers Dances with Wolves in his directorial debut. The storyline for this picture is very compelling and interesting. The settings were beautiful, as were the characters and script. The acting was excellent and the cast includes Kevin Costner, Mary McDonnell, Graham Greene, Rodney Grant, Maury Chaykin, and Robert Pastorelli.

"You are not welcome here."

I found this on HBOGO and was excited to watch this again for the first time in a long time. I always thoroughly enjoyed this film and found it fun to watch again. Costner delivers his role perfectly in this movie and I loved how the Native Americans were presented. Overall, I believe this is a worthwhile picture that is worth your time.

"Put that in your book."

Grade: A
½ November 10, 2015
A grand production, outstanding cinematography.
November 6, 2015
½ November 3, 2015
The controversial Oscar Winner of Best Film of 1990 over the supposedly shoe-in Goodfellas but I see this as its own film & terrific in its own right.

The story of disillusioned Soldier choosing a remote post next door to two Indian Tribes one peaceful the other two not & the relationship he builds with them over time.

The beauty of this film lies in its subtly even though the theatrical release was 3 hours & Directors Cut 3 hrs 47 mins it doesn't feel slow & is a genuinely moving & gripping story. A wonderful film that is truly a modern classic.