Dancing at Lughnasa - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Dancing at Lughnasa Reviews

February 10, 2015
Meryl. With an Irish accent.
½ October 11, 2012
This movie gave me a feeling of emptiness and sadness. And I felt pity for the sisters, their whole existence was all the same... But the actresses are marvellous.
½ September 22, 2012
An okay movie starring Meryl Streep playing the eldest of 5 unmarried sisters in 1930's Ireland trying to keep life as normal as possible. Her Irish accent was impeccable. This movie had an incredible amount of potential but just seemed to continuously fizzle the last hour... as a matter of fact I am not even sure how it ended. Disappointing.
½ March 22, 2012
Seriously, nothing can even be said here. There were five sisters living in a house in Ireland... yeah, that's all I got.
March 18, 2012
I was bored to sobs. A terrific cast of excellent actors wasted on a film without any semblance of a plot. There are many disconnected vignettes which go nowhere. The ending of the film is not credible. I believe the flimsy script may have worked as a stage play, but it did not work on film. All of the actors work hard to give good performances, but their genuine talent is wasted on this drab, dismal and depressing film.
½ September 5, 2011
A strong cast and a a sweet story about sisters in a small Irish town.
June 18, 2011
A poor adaptation really. Whilst Meryl Streep puts in a typically excellent performance, she cannot save this. "Dancing at Lughnasa", the play, is very significant culturally, but maybe it's just not meant to be done on film. Either way, this film doesn't succeed in achieving what a staging of the drama can do.
February 4, 2011
Excellent. We had seen the play at the theatre, and watched the movie the following night. Both were good, with the play demanding more work to understand than the film. More words of explanation in the play, and it was lovely to see how these were translated into facial expression by the actors in the movie. A good ensemble cast, all five sisters well characterised. There were differences of emphasis between the two scripts, with a a couple of plot lines which differed completely. The power of the church is underplayed in the movie, together with the parallel between Lughnasa celebrations in Ireland and 'pagan' activity in Uganda. A beautiful film, well worth a look.
November 9, 2010
nominated for best picture by NBR
½ July 18, 2010
Dancing at Lughnasa successfully converts from its stage origins making the most of the lavish green countryside surrounding the home of the sisters central to this story. Each character has layers rather than fit into a type and that's due to the casting of some excellent actresses each firing on all cylinders. Sophie Thompson is the stand-out here and when you learn her and her sister end up destitute and unseen from again as they try their luck on the streets of London you feel a little ache that haunts you long after.
July 17, 2010
The narrator remembers an idyllic summer with his mother, three aunts, his uncle, and his father.
moviemaniacgirl
½ June 18, 2010
Where is the plot? Out of curiousity I would like to know if there was actually a plot. I saw some interesting and well-done characters, but I never saw them do much of anything, and nothing ever happened. I am thus led to the conclusion that these actors were paid to make characters and talk, but there was never a script written for them to know what to do in a scene. I'm sorry to those of you that liked the movie, but I couldn't find a purpose or a reason to make this film.
June 7, 2010
Good cast and adaptation.
June 4, 2010
Dancing at Lughnasa is the story of a young boy growing up in a fatherless home with his unmarried mother and four spinster aunts in 1930's Ireland. But then into this comes an elderly brother, a priest too senile to perform his clerical functions, who has come home to die after a lifetime in Africa; as well, there also arrives the boy's father, riding up on a motorcycle, only to announce that he's on his way to Spain to fight against Franco. Meryl Streep stars as the oldest sister who wants to control the family. She gives another great performance in this film. This is a small film that sometimes is a bit slow but is worth seeing for the brilliant Streep and for the lovely Ireland scenery.
April 1, 2010
... never much liked the play. Maybe the movie would help.
½ December 21, 2009
Simple, touching, and quite a good time later on. Meryl Streep doing an Irish accent...how can it get any better? The story was a little slow, but for what there was it was great.
November 24, 2009
Beautiful cinematography and music, but plodding story.
September 19, 2009
If there is something I want from this film, it would be some memory of summer that the Mundy family had, that is like the dream of music and dance.
August 24, 2009
Fairly heavy drama with all the problems and issues you'd expect with a female heavy rural Irish family. The excellent cast carries it well though.
August 14, 2009
Sophie Thompson completely stole the show. This was a beautiful movie that conveyed the hopelessness & one-day-at-a-time struggle to survive in poor, chauvinistic 1930s Ireland. It shows once again that women are the ones who do what it takes to care for everyone, & that the men just follow their own dreams.