Dancing at Lughnasa - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Dancing at Lughnasa Reviews

August 7, 2009
Beautiful to look at... and with real, believable characters to care about.
½ July 19, 2009
Doesn't go where you want it to go. There's no real story there - which is fine in some movies, but this one doesn't hold up without it.
½ July 19, 2009
Meryl Streep is in it. You know it has been chosen for its value. 1936 in Ireland for 5 unmarried sisters will not be a comedy. There is pain and fear and confusion and laughter and love; all the normal stuff. One sister thinking she is responsible for everyone (it's 1936) and four sisters trying to find some degree of independence and happiness. There are real people in this movie. It is truly worth wtching.
½ July 6, 2009
I admit, I only watched this movie because Meryl Streep is in it. However, I was surprised by how much I enjoyed it. It is such a beautiful film. Very heartwarming.
June 20, 2009
Great performances all round with the usual spectacular Irish scenery, shame they didn't actually film it in Donegal where it was meant to be set as Donegal is one of the most beautiful places in the world. Really, really depressing and I think I want to go stand in front of a bus now but instead I'll go have a beer and BBQ :)
½ May 28, 2009
I would sort of brand it as a melodrama, but what more do i need when there is Meryl Streep? And again, this not a just another melodrama!
½ March 18, 2009
I never knew this was Brian Friel until I watched it, loved every moment of it, interesting story, with a superb voice over feel to the movie. Great cast for this award winning play, a must see!
½ February 12, 2009
The story is uncomplicated, but the film captures complex emotions very well and is quite moving. The narration is very effective. Streep and Gambon are really good, as usual.
February 6, 2009
i want to see it cuz i've seen the play
½ January 10, 2009
This was an excellent movie, sad and sweet.
January 10, 2009
Meryl Streep is the man.
December 10, 2008
no thanks not my kinda thing
November 4, 2008
Nicely detailed, but is really a somewhat soapy melodrama masquerading as lyrical and meditative high art.
½ August 25, 2008
Really simple story, nothing super exciting ever happens but I really enjoyed it. Simple but sweet. I liked the relationship between the sisters. Meryl turns in yet another great performance. It made me want to go to Ireland, beautiful scenery.
½ August 20, 2008
Those looking for a faithful adaptation of Brian Friel's award-winning play may be disappointed in what they find here. True, the plot elements are essentially the same and even a handful of Friel's original dialogue has made it into the film. But the whole thing has been overly simplified, and worst of all, overly sentimentalized. Everyone's so damned loveable, you wonder how conflict is even possible. That being said, Catherine McCormack, Meryl Streep, and especially Rhys Ifans all give grand performances. Sweet, occasionally moving, but just a tad too sugary for my tastes.
½ June 24, 2008
Only irish landscapes are good. The movie is boring and badly made. Even Meryl Streep was bad.
June 15, 2008
one of the best films ever!!!!
½ May 29, 2008
Good to see some films about the old (and ongoing) Pagan holidays and celebrations. A feast for the eyes and the heart.
½ May 26, 2008
great movie. It was funny hearing Meryl Streep speak with an Irish accent... I love the scenes where the sisters and the brother dance like crazy and feel free and are happy... There's mix of sacred and profane-pagan and religious...