Dancing at the Blue Iguana - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Dancing at the Blue Iguana Reviews

½ October 4, 2009
great boobs... dont watch for story
cosmo313
September 16, 2006
This film gives a very poignant, truthful, insightful, and artistic look into the world of exotic dancing. Great performances by a talented ensemble cast. Definitely worth a look or two.
Critique Threatt
½ November 6, 2010
It is mainly about five women who dance and make their living at a strip club called The Blue Iguana. The women seem to be looking for some kind of redemption of the sorts but I didn't find any or couldn't understand what was going on. Some of the women are shown as hysterical with no sense of self worth whatsoever and need to calm their nerves by indulging in alcohol and smoking ciggarettes.

There is one girl who seems sort of straight played by Sandra Oh who loves going to poetry sessions and becomes attracted to a guy there. Daryl Hannah is the worst in this picture because her character is pretty depressing and lost. Im not really sure what made her take on a role like this but embarrassing nonetheless. Meg Tilly's performance is also a very sad let down. Michael Radford's film is a disappointment and maybe his picture would have worked if he just sat down and really worked on a polished screenplay instead of trying to do a Robert Altman improvasational ensemble piece. Maybe Paul Thomas Anderson could have made this a little more enjoyable.

NOTE: Although I put down Darryl Hannah's perfomance her documentary "Strip Notes" is more gritty and fascinating then Radford's movie.
½ October 7, 2012
I am not giving it a 4 or 5 because I wasnt satisfied with the information I got on each character. I wanted to know more about their background, I found them all to be very intriguing and very lost but I would have liked to have known more. And Daryl Hana filmwas freaking INCREDIBLE in this film. I think it was the best performance in her career. It was a very good movie, people who didnt like it are just being judgemental of the content.
January 26, 2011
Emotional Factor: None
Intelligence Required: None
Essential Viewing: No

The Plot: Strippers deal with everyday life

My Take: This was terrible. Bad acting by some decently big names (Sandra Oh, Daryl Hannah, Jennifer Tilly, Kristin Bauer). The script was as boring as you can get. And it's a movie about strippers! I mean, you would think that it would at least be a bit exciting, but oh no, not at all. It drug on and on. I would not recommend this hookers with a heart of gold tale to anyone (unless you are really into name boobs, then you can mark some off your list with this crap).
February 4, 2009
Honestly, I only lasted a portion of the way in. I know Daryl Hannah got a lot of praise, but her character and others were so shrilly defined and their situations so melodramatic that I lost interest quickly. At some point I think the filmmakers confused "non-glamorous" with "as much tragedy as we can pour on."
September 5, 2008
This is the type of movie that Cinemax cranks out on a regular basis, but for some reason the presence of name actresses and an accomplished director are supposed to automatically give this one more credibility. Yeah, it didn't work for Showgirls either. At least with Showgirls you can laugh at how ridiculous everything is.
August 21, 2008
Sandra Oh was fantastic. Jennifer Tilly was crazy as usual. Confusing at times but erotic dancing was good.
September 12, 2007
Exhausting and fruitless: Having seen it, you know nothing more about strippers or the stripper mentality than you did going in. What's the point?
July 18, 2007
A cheaper version of Striptease and only worth watching if you want to see a few celebrities, including Daryl Hanna, in the buff. Which isn't saying very much about the movie if that's its high point.
July 9, 2007
I was shocked to see Sandra Oh from Grey's on this stripper saga. Man, oh man. I have never heard of this in my life, until I was flipping through channels on HBO. Numerous strippers that work at the Blue Iguana that somehow, each have their own problems that need to be dealt with. However, as the time rolls on, each stripper's story, excluding Jennifer Tilly's, was boring and depressing. Surprisingly, she brings the movie flavor and spunk. A factor that was strongly needed to keep my attention. I'm sure this could hold the average male's attention, seeing as they aren't shy strippers.
½ March 20, 2005
This is one of those films that really makes you think. How does a person become involved in this profession? How do you deal with life's little roadblocks? How do you film a movie without a plot or storyline? WHAT?? Yes, it is true there was absolutely no plot or storyline for the actresses to follow. rather this film was an experiment of improvisation. Some actresses played roles that were believable and pulled your heartstrings (Sandra Oh) while others made you wish you were somewhere else (Darryl Hannah), but overall this movie was a success. I thought it was one of the most original and intriguing films in quite some time, and I believe if given the chance, it will become one of your favorites as well.
½ May 11, 2013
Will always be a favorite of mine.
½ October 7, 2012
September 19, 2012
movie about a stripper named angel and im a stripper named angel so thats why i watched it