Dancing at the Blue Iguana - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Dancing at the Blue Iguana Reviews

½ May 11, 2013
Will always be a favorite of mine.
½ October 7, 2012
I am not giving it a 4 or 5 because I wasnt satisfied with the information I got on each character. I wanted to know more about their background, I found them all to be very intriguing and very lost but I would have liked to have known more. And Daryl Hana filmwas freaking INCREDIBLE in this film. I think it was the best performance in her career. It was a very good movie, people who didnt like it are just being judgemental of the content.
September 19, 2012
movie about a stripper named angel and im a stripper named angel so thats why i watched it
July 30, 2012
Bored. This is not a strong women movie. I hit the fast forward for part of this one.
April 10, 2012
nice erotic improv film about the lives of strippers on and off the stage and detailed accounts of how they deal with f their inner demons.
Critique Threatt
½ November 15, 2011
It is mainly about five women who dance and make their living at a strip club called The Blue Iguana. The women seem to be looking for some kind of redemption of the sorts but I didn't find any or couldn't understand what was going on. Some of the women are shown as hysterical with no sense of self worth whatsoever and need to calm their nerves by indulging in alcohol and smoking ciggarettes.

There is one girl who seems sort of straight played by Sandra Oh who loves going to poetry sessions and becomes attracted to a guy there. Daryl Hannah is the worst in this picture because her character is pretty depressing and lost. Im not really sure what made her take on a role like this but embarrassing nonetheless. Meg Tilly's performance is also a very sad let down. Michael Radford's film is a disappointment and maybe his picture would have worked if he just sat down and really worked on a polished screenplay instead of trying to do a Robert Altman improvasational ensemble piece. Maybe Paul Thomas Anderson could have made this a little more enjoyable.

NOTE: Although I put down Darryl Hannah's perfomance her documentary "Strip Notes" is more gritty and fascinating then Radford's movie.
½ May 25, 2011
An exercise in the abysmal, makes me glad I'm a Christian!
January 26, 2011
Emotional Factor: None
Intelligence Required: None
Essential Viewing: No

The Plot: Strippers deal with everyday life

My Take: This was terrible. Bad acting by some decently big names (Sandra Oh, Daryl Hannah, Jennifer Tilly, Kristin Bauer). The script was as boring as you can get. And it's a movie about strippers! I mean, you would think that it would at least be a bit exciting, but oh no, not at all. It drug on and on. I would not recommend this hookers with a heart of gold tale to anyone (unless you are really into name boobs, then you can mark some off your list with this crap).
November 10, 2010
A painful study of the lives of a group of pole dancers who work at a sleazy strip club in California. We see their hopes and dreams and shattered lives laid bare in what is essentially a female buddy movie. All of the characters are flawed in some way, whether it is Daryl Hannah's cringing neediness, Jennifer Tilly's rage or Sandra Oh's inability to take a chance when she is offered a way out. The characterisations are warm and 3 dimensional and the threads of the story are neatly woven together. There are some moments of brilliant tragicomedy such as when Jennifer Tilly's dominatrix character Jo is confronted by an expectant mother at an abortion clinic as well as moving and heartbreaking scenes like when Jasmine, Oh's character, realises she has probably let the man she loves and the life she wants slip through her fingers.
It is remarkable that the story, script and plotlines were all pretty much improvised by the actors themselves and it is a testament to the calibre of the cast that they carry this off so perfectly. Daryl Hannah, in pre-Kill Bill days is unbelievably convincing as the utterly pathetic stoner, Angel but I feel it is Sandra Oh who steals this movie. She has a lightness of touch and ability to convey real emotion that is impossible not to admire.
I really don't understand why this movie isn't better known as every time I watch it, I am reminded just how good it really is. Perhaps the reason is that it doesn't glamourise the scene and is ultimately a rather sad comment on the American dream and the permissive society.
June 19, 2010
Not aweful, just boring. But there were a few good performances.
½ April 10, 2010
In all honesty this is one of my fave films....it really is pretty damn accurate to at least how things were back in the day for many of us...Maybe thats why I liked it so much..I can see myself and many girls I use to work with in these characters..some club owners too
January 18, 2010
Yes, i think it is an exciting movie of related life
½ October 4, 2009
great boobs... dont watch for story
July 18, 2009
Dynamic character study of the lives of five exotic dancers. I personaly know how the industry is and this movie hits the bulls-eye. Honest, true and very powerful. Great dancing as well. Even as an 18 year old gay kid I can still appreciate a beautiful dancer.
½ June 26, 2009
Una novela de la tarde desarrollada en un club nocturno, es esta pelicula que con algun atisbo de seriedad intenta seguir las penas y frustraciones de un grupo de bailaribas nudistas 30anieras. Lo realmente destacable son los climas (Absolutamente deprimentes) que logra crear el director, aunque lamentablemente estan perdidos en medio de historias que nunca terminan de (Al menos en algunos casos) de lograr la profunidad necesaria.
Es probable que esta pelicula funcione mas para mujeres que para hombres.
June 9, 2009
yeah, cause we all go to stripjoints to listen to the dj talk about his feelings and thoughts....
shesdownbytheriver
February 24, 2009
No thankyou - Not interested
February 4, 2009
Honestly, I only lasted a portion of the way in. I know Daryl Hannah got a lot of praise, but her character and others were so shrilly defined and their situations so melodramatic that I lost interest quickly. At some point I think the filmmakers confused "non-glamorous" with "as much tragedy as we can pour on."
½ February 4, 2009
this director proved is a good one...
February 1, 2009
I love Jennifer Tilly ... her part in the Clinic is too funny ...