The Dangerous Lives of Altar Boys - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Dangerous Lives of Altar Boys Reviews

½ March 25, 2016
Good, but not great.
½ September 20, 2015
just OK period pic from the seventies
June 14, 2015
Fine performances overcome unwanted and dizziyng animation.
February 27, 2015
A waste of Jodie Foster's immense talent, coupled with poorly timed cuts to limited animation drags this coming of age drama down to nearly unwatchable. Aside from the ever so cute (and very young here) Jena Malone, there really is nothing to see here. Young alter boys making poor choices and doing dumb things with a backdrop of the superheroes they created and wish to be. Mostly moronic.
October 14, 2014
Wow. Really quite brilliant. Very entertaining!
August 3, 2014
(First and only viewing - 2/22/2012)
½ July 25, 2014
This shouldn't have been a gimmick movie. In fact, the McFarlane animation feels quite arbitrary and often holds back what is otherwise a funny, compassionate coming-of-age film with fleshed out teen characters that feels straight out of the late 1980's.
½ June 6, 2014
a really funny and great story of friendship...and the animation scenes were cool too.
May 20, 2014
This movie was already very interesting even before it made me gasp in astonishment and cry tears of childhood lost.
May 8, 2014
Okay the acting was good but oh my god this was so melodramatic. Like the ending was so over the top, I honestly laughed. Also the animation scenes were so unnecessary. Still, it's entertaining for what it was but comes off as extremely dull most of the time.
March 5, 2014
This is a good movie. It shows how tough it is to grow up and the choices we make.
½ January 12, 2014
shit happens. Art lives.
½ September 4, 2013
Wonderful acting by the kid who grew up into great actors in their own right. The live action story paired up with the cartoon story creates a lovely effect.
½ May 21, 2013
May 20, 2013
Despite liking the movie, with its solid cast and good characters, there's something about it that keeps it from being really good. I think it's overall a good coming-of-age story but the film's main character, Francis, sort of lacks a certain depth about him to make the film more than what it is. The most interesting character in the entire film ends up being Tim because I do think they do a great job at telling you that Tim's personality and his rebellion really are a product of his home life. They never go into it a lot, but in comparison to Tim, Francis ends up feeling a little dull as a character and his relationship with Margie, outside of the secret, isn't really well-developed, or that interesting, either. And the comic book stuff spliced in at certain points during the movie isn't really that effective. I don't wanna say it takes away from it, as a lot of it does reflect what's going on in the main story, but it doesn't add anything to the movie at all. At least it's well-animated. I also thought that the ending felt a bit exploitative, it certainly makes sense considering what they were trying to do. I don't think it was very melodramatic at all and it leads to Emile Hirsch's best scene in the movie, but it still felt a bit exploitative. I did like the acting, it's definitely a highlight of the film and I like that the film certainly has some insight on teenage life with heart and humor. Still, the movie is just a little disappointing. Not that I had high expectations, but there's just no moment where this film could ever be considered great. This is still a perfectly solid movie, nothing extraordinary here.
May 16, 2013
Growing up catholic this movie completely captured that feeling.
May 1, 2013
The stars of the film have all gone their separate ways, including my cousin (one of the stars) Jake Richardson who played Wade. The film had it's ups and downs but really drew me in.
½ April 21, 2013
The Dangerous Lives of Altar Boys (2002) -- [7.0] -- Emile Hirsch and Kieran Culkin put in great performances in this odd coming-of-age film about best friends who are constantly rebelling against their Catholic school teacher, a one-legged nun played by Jodie Foster. I like that the characters, even Foster's antagonistic one, aren't one-sided. The film suggests the boys are out of control, but also that they have plenty to rebel against. I expected a moral judgment to be made one way or the other by the time the movie ended, but despite a hefty dramatic turn in act three, the film really isn't interested in passing judgment. The film may leave you tonally and thematically confounded, or you might find it refreshing. Jena Malone and Vincent D'Onofrio co-star, and Todd McFarlane brings the characters' comic book creations to life in several animated sequences.
April 16, 2013
Unexpected Todd McFarlane animation adds an element of intrigue to this, and lifts it slightly from being completely run of the mill.
March 7, 2013
This movie worked with the help of a great cast and believable interactions...the ending was a little "ehhhh." The fantasy sequences reminded me sooo much of the South Park eppy that shows the boys' alter egos.