Dangerously Close - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Dangerously Close Reviews

October 18, 2015
The only reason I originally watched this film back in the day is that I had a huge crush on Carey Lowell after she appeared in "The Living Daylights" (she had the Human League short haircuts that I'm an absolute sucker for). After that film, I had to use my video store clerk privileges to go back an watch all of her prior films, which was only four movies, one of which was a comedy about Griffin Dunne talking to his penis. This was her film debut and she doesn't have the short Human League haircut, but she's still super cute. Now besides that, the film involves a group of high school students at an elite prep school. One investigative reporter on the school newspaper begins to follow-up on a mysterious Skull & Bones-like group called The Sentinels , which is make up of the rich and powerful students of the school, who are apparently killing off the "undesirable" element in their school. The film sin't anything brilliant, but it's pretty entertaining. It's directed by prolific B-picture director Albert Pyun, who was a pretty reliable director for making entertaining schlock, whether it's sci-fi, kickboxing or straight up thrillers like this (i.e. "Nemesis," "Dollman" or even the embarrassingly cheesy 1990 version of "Captain America"). I've always wondered what Pyun could do on a big budget picture, but I'm not sure I'll ever see that. The film also stars John Stockwell, who was also one of the writers on the film and who would later become a pretty solid director with films like "Blue Crush" or "Into the Blue." Overall, this films isn't anything brilliant, but it has a nice 80s vibe to it and has a surprisingly good 80s soundtrack.
October 27, 2012
The Sentinels high school student policing group evolves into something close to a vigilante squad targeting undesireable students. Graffiti is down noticeably but the bathroom walls are now far less informative on where to find a good time.
½ July 30, 2012
This was dangerously close to being another special effort by the Golan-Globus production team but lost some momentum in the second half. Group of high schoolers form patrol/vigilante team overseen by Vietnam vet Mr Corrigan to help curb crime and grafitti at their school. Good soundtrack (Robert Palmer aside).
October 21, 2011
at vista high, there's a thn line between being cool and getting caught.
½ April 14, 2011
Kroger is the coolesr.
½ September 23, 2010
The only thing that made this movie interesting was the soundtrack.
February 26, 2010
July 24, 2008
First time I heard Pere Ubu and the Smithereens was in this film, the plus was that Lords of the New Church were on here with Kiss of Death. The movie's loosely based on a crime in Texas involving the Legion of Doom