Daniel Defoe's Robinson Crusoe (1996)

Daniel Defoe's Robinson Crusoe (1996)

Critic Consensus: No consensus yet.

Daniel Defoe's Robinson Crusoe Photos

Movie Info

Drama based on Daniel Defoe's classic novel about a man shipwrecked and washed up on a desert island. Initially alone, Crusoe eventually finds solace in the company of a native he rescues from a sacrificial killing, and the two are left to survive the elements by using little more than their wits.
PG-13 (for adventure violence and some sensuality)
Action & Adventure , Drama

July 26, 2005

Quote not available.

Full Review… | November 13, 2004

Audience Reviews for Daniel Defoe's Robinson Crusoe

I watched this movie with moderately acceptable interest for the first hour. It has a kind of TV movie stink to it, but it's not horrible. Bland, yes; white savior-y, yes (but that might be from the source material which I've never read). Pierce Brosnan's beard changes constantly. On the ship before the boat crashes he has a kind of goatee and stache thing going, but no cheek hair, but after the crash he grows a full beard. Also he wakes up face down in the water. Fuck's up with that? Also his Jesus speech was a bit overcooked, and overall he's not entirely convincing. But still, it's okay, Maybe my opinion of the film is heightened because I'm comfortably relaxing in a Korean hotel, sitting on the heated toilet seat, receiving an incredibly satisfying bidet/enema from the toilet, which, all things considered, could make any film acceptable no matter how uninspiring it truly is.

Mike Hunt
Mike Hunt

The movie never takes a moment to slow down and explore its surroundings but the relationship between Crusoe and Friday works.

Poul Farnham
Poul Farnham

Did they even read the book?!? I'm guessing that they didn't even read the Cliff Notes from the book. Some of the themes in this movie were completely opposed to the original themes in the book. Beyond that, the movie was mildly entertaining. There was an aerial scene of the island where one could see roads and buildings, even though it was supposed to be uninhabited.

Joshua Quiring
Joshua Quiring

Daniel Defoe's Robinson Crusoe Quotes

There are no approved quotes yet for this movie.

Discussion Forum

Discuss Daniel Defoe's Robinson Crusoe on our Movie forum!

News & Features