Danny Deckchair - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Danny Deckchair Reviews

August 3, 2015
Fluffy fun good time story.
July 8, 2015
When I first came to BC four years ago, I heard the phrase, "No worries". Then I saw the balloon stunt dufus in the Times Colonist. All these things have one thing in common: This movie. I love this movie. The balloon dufus should also be charged with plagiarism as well as mischief.
September 3, 2014
not as good as I'd hoped, your typical rom com
June 23, 2014
Cute, charming, funny, silly, ridiculous, Aussie...
June 8, 2014
funny movie, with a positive message
May 13, 2014
Balloons and a lawn chair is all you need in your search for happiness. A sappy movie that I guarantee will make you smile. If you have Netflix, check it out.
½ April 22, 2014
Danny Deckchair is a quirky and wacky enough idea executed well enough by the cast but it takes so long to get the ball rolling and you can literally tell exactly what is going to happen a mile in advance that any enjoyment you get from this film is purely on character alone, which is odd for such a wacky premise. Danny, played very well by Rhys Ifans, is stuck in a life in a big city that he doesnt really care much for. His girlfriend is a complete bitch, which seems to lead Danny to depression. He longs to go camping and doing bizarre and exciting things, only when his girlfriend decides to cancel their trip in order for her to go on a "Date" with a big shot celebrity and lie to him about it, Danny gets this wild idea to tie as many helium balloons to a chair as he can just to see if it will lift him off the ground, it does and before you know it Danny is whisked off across the country into a small town called clarence, landing in Glendas, Otto, back garden where she lies to the people of Clarence that he is a long time friend in order to save him and he becomes like a saviour/jesus like character within this town due to his nature. All the while his bitch of a girlfriend fakes a big screen time plea for him to come home to make money. Naturally even by reading that premise if you have watched a good couple of films in your life you know exactly where this is going to go, Danny falls in love with Glenda, they are the perfect couple and naturally the stereotypical hiccups occur. Its saving grace is its quirky moments such as Danny doing the most bizarre things in order to get his kicks or watching him change a small town by just being who he is, but none of this is even remotely original and the pacing takes sooooo long to actually get the ball rolling that your sitting there working out the ending before the half way point. it ruins the sporatic enjoyment that the film thinks it can give you. The cast do well in their roles, nothing ground braking, they just fit. The cinematography is well enough exectued with some seriously shoddy CGI for his deck chair scene, ill admit it would have been a difficult feat to execute this in real life but as it stands it takes you out of the entire experience. Simpley put, its a rom-com with a touch of the quirky. nothing special but nothing painful. ho hum really.
½ April 11, 2014
this was a good movie, nice storyline, good actors, and its cool seeing a movie from australia, worth watching I liked the ending as well.
January 2, 2014
Awesome comedy, funny, weird but very cool. total winner!
July 27, 2013
Surprisingly decent movie. It wasn't great. But perhaps because I hadn't seen a romantic movie lately, it particularly had a pleasing effect. Nice story, makes you ponder on really living it up.
½ April 28, 2013
Positively adorable romantic comedy! Hollywood take note--this is how to do it!
October 9, 2012
Whimsical and free good movie.
June 26, 2012
Pretty lifeless lead character, with not much more life in the script either. No real comedy and very little romance in the main romance. Despite having no meaningful engagement with people, Danny somehow influenced everyone around him ââ,¬â more wishful writing than actual storytelling.
½ June 24, 2012
Olipas tässä iloisesti erilainen ja hauska romanttinen komedia. Voi osaltaan johtua siitä, että Australia on kovin kiehtova maa muutenkin, mutta oli kyllä hauska. :)
May 13, 2012
sometimes when i look at the sky, i think of him.
½ May 6, 2012
Just what I needed. A movie about someone who does something stupid and potentially fatal but ends up being rewarded handsomely for it. So when my light at the end of the tunnel just ends up being a train, please don't say I was suicidal. I was only chasing what I thought was my muse.
½ April 5, 2012
I saw this film about 5 years ago, but my friend Rob just did a review of it and reminded me of how skilled Rhys Ifans (pronounced Reese Eevans) truly is. I was blown away by his performances in "Vanity Fair" and "Notting Hill". Everytime I see "Notting Hill" I laugh hysterically at his role as the flat mate. He played SUCH a freaky character in that film. It seems to be what he looks for in choosing his roles. Eccentric and eclectic must be favorite characteristics of his.
January 30, 2012
not bad, i really like rhys ifans, he's a good actor
January 12, 2012
A sweet and charming little film. Danny is a dreamer but lives in a boring and ho-hum life that doesn't let him express his creative nature, so his friends and family often have to put up with his random boughts of crazy ideas. One of those crazy ideas is to fly in a deckchair being lifted by helium filled balloons. Unlike many of his other crazy ideas, this one takes off, literally. And after becoming airborne takes him to a new town where he reinvents himself and finally is true to who he is while falling in love along the way. Overall a delightful romantic comedy that I found quite enjoyable to watch.