Reviews

• Aug 23, 2016

Anna has just left Paul (Romain Duris) who, annihilated by the separation, moves back with his father Mirko (Guy Marchand) in Paris. His younger brother Jonathan (Louis Garrel), a casual student, still lives in his father's apartment and spends most of his time womanizing and fooling around. But what this apparent lightness conceals is a deep wound. Jonathan, in fact, has never been able to overcome the death of his beloved sister. Meanwhile Paul sinks into depression... Christophe Honoré has tried to create an homage to the French New Wave (Filming techniques included fragmented, discontinuous editing, and long takes. The combination of objective realism, subjective realism, and authorial commentary created a narrative ambiguity in the sense that questions that arise in a film are not answered in the end.) with "Dans Paris", but at the same time it becomes boringly ambitious and unexciting with an odd mix of humour and darkness which Honoré doesn´t manage to merge in a satisfying way. The moral that love, a little bit of help from your family and chicken soup can cure depression is maybe something hopeful, but yet too much of a sweet tale in my eyes. All the actors go all in and do a fine job, it´s just the story and the production that doesn´t satisfy me at least.

• Carlos M Super Reviewer
    Jul 26, 2016

Watching this is comparable to having a long sharp needle slowly going through your forehead for ninety minutes, but at least Louis Garrel is a breath of fresh air in this pretentious shot at a French New Wave film whose main character is insufferable (Honoré is no Godard).

• May 02, 2013

Poignant et irritant a la fois, Dans Paris est un film qui nous perd au milieu avant de se reprendre a la fin.

• Apr 13, 2013

So boring I didn't even make it to the 20-min mark. Life's too short.

So boring I didn't even make it to the 20-min mark. Life's too short.

• Jul 25, 2012

Eu só conhecia Louis Garrel em seu papel no fraco e pretencioso 'Os Sonhadores'. 'Dans Paris' me fez ir com a cara dele, gostei da sua atuação espontânea, apesar de achar que o ator devia sair um pouco do esteriótipo 'parisiense blasé'. Esse filme retrata relacionamentos amorosos de forma confusa, pois é assim que relacionamentos são. Mostra como duas pessoas passam da felicidade à irritação, ao ponto de não se suportarem, e tem a clássica cena do casal que canta ao telefone.

• Mar 01, 2012

Hmmm, so and so... I like French films with its characteristic chatter but this was not my style...

• Feb 04, 2012

One star for Louis Garrel´s old school charm; half a star for the singing duet on the phone. The rest made me want to ask for my money back.

• Jan 24, 2012

un classique d'honorà (C).

un classique d'honorà (C).

• Jan 19, 2012

This movie is interesting and Romain Duris is brilliant as the depressed Paul but even one and a half hour feels too long for such a depressing movie. It really needs a bit more laughter.

• Nov 04, 2011

what a wonderful and uplifting christmas movie. all girls who are just above not too dumb will love this movie. especially the indie girls. they'd eat this shit up until they're bedridden. i just liked it because it reminded me of my brother and the neo new wave style was cute too.