Attack On Darfur - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Attack On Darfur Reviews

½ July 13, 2011
Annoying camera work that goes too far beyond the necessity of providing the documentary feel. Incredibly slow moving. Poor dialogue. The only saving grace is the fact its loosely based upon real events and is disturbingly graphic to get the horror of the events across to the viewer.
½ June 25, 2011
By far the most disturbing movie I have ever seen. I was literally crying so hard when they raided the villiage I had to get up and leave the room. You don't think about this stuff often, but it happens, and it's horrible, and it's pathetic that people have to treat others this way. I only gave it 2 1/2 stars because I watched too many babies die...
June 20, 2011
This has to be the most disturbing and graphical movie I have seen in a long time. I had to close my eyes a couple of times. That's saying something.
½ June 18, 2011
The product of a hard working director that reveals the bloody history of Mankind in present day Dafur. Awful Truth.
June 9, 2011
This movie is kind of slow and dull but has horrific and graphic content beyond belief. Rape, murder, child & baby killings... it's pretty intense.
May 23, 2011
Worthy and horrific subject. For this reason alone it is a film worth watching, even though it is directed by the world's worst director and with a filming style that is painful to watch. At least it takes some of the edge off some of the actions. Watch because you should feel the anger for what has gone on, rather than because it's a classic.
May 17, 2011
Uwe Boll I have new found respect. This film pulls you apart emotionally from the start and leaves you in pieces. Do not watch this film if you have anything to do the rest of the day. Could have dealt with a few less doc style camera shooting but other than that really well done. The actual title of this film I believe is "Attack on Darfur"
May 4, 2011
Boll undercuts himself by filming the village massacre like it was Rambo. Having terrible actors like Billy Zane, Kristanna Loken and Edward Furlong improvise wasn't a smart idea as well. The repetition of the 'dialogue' was near 'Room' level inanity. Does it make me a bad person not liking this flick all that much despite it being about a horrible real-world issue? Can you agree with the filmmaker on the issue but say the execution blows? I guess you can. Hence 2 stars.
April 26, 2011
This could have been a poweful movie, but the camera work was terribly annoying. Apparently they were trying to go for the live "documentary" feel, but it was just too distracting. Aside from that, this movie is extremely disturbing, and intense. I would love to see it redone by someone with more talent, because it is a horrific story that needs to be told.
March 27, 2011
This is a really powerful film about an ongoing genocide in Darfur. What makes this film so special is that real Darfur refugees play themselves and relive the most tragic moments in their lives. I got to say i was skeptical with Uwe Boll directing this, but fact of the matter is that this film really struck a cord in me with it`s brutally honest and graphic scenes of inhumanity towards the helpless. I guess Boll is a hit and miss director, but he misses ten times before he strikes with one hell of a movie.
March 22, 2011
Velspilt og sterk film fra den kontroversielle regissøren Uwe Boll. Det som imponerer mest er realismen og råskapen vi er vitne til. Dette er en film som tør å sette spørsmål og er et godt bevis for at uwe boll mestrer å lage en god film!
March 16, 2011
Just because a movie deals with a subject such as this, doesn't automatically warrant it being a good movie. Furthermore, just because I think this movie sucks it does not mean that I think what happened in Sudan was acceptable. This movie was way too melodramatic for it to be good. Now if this movie didn't have brutal depictions of the attack it would have had zero effect at all. Now it did have incredibly brutal depictions of the attack and that was one of the few positives of the movie. Now if it wasn't for the next two reasons the movie would have been okay. Not good, but okay. However, because of the two reasons I am about to give, it sucks.

The camera work is some of the worst I have seen. Now I know that hand held camera work serves some purpose, but it was like watching a home movie of dad filming a baseball game. Shaky, shaky, shaky, and every damn image is never still and the audience can't focus on it. If there was a purpose of having it like that I would be more understanding and possible appreciative of it. However, it is supposed to be this gripping, dramatic, painful story, but you can't focus on anything so how the hell are you supposed to feel anything when you can't see anything.

This is only exacerbated by possibly the worst edit job I have seen. I don't think there is a shot longer than 30 seconds in the whole movie. Now I know that short shots can be effective, and I know that long drawn out shots are not necessarily the best choice either. The fact is, is that the camera is so shaky and you're trying to focus and then it cuts away to another shaky image. This whole movie is just cut, cut, cut, cut, cut, cut, extreme closeup, cut, cut, cut, cut, cut, cut, cut, cut, cut, cut, cut, extreme closeup, and more damn cuts. If the shaky camera doesn't make you sick the constant shift of images will. In fact this movie left me feeling sick and not because of their portrayal of the attack, but rather because I was being bombarded with constantly changing shaky images that I could never focus on.

This movie sucks and is not worth the time. The events depicted are something that have been and continued to be addressed, but unfortunately for this film all it doesn't do a good job. Don't watch it.
March 12, 2011
This is shocking - actually a very good Uwe Boll movie... very well made, you must be strong to watch it though, powerful in places...
½ February 5, 2011
Well, I've only seen Alone in the Dark and parts of House of the Dead by Uwe Boll, and I didn't like them, but this is a big step up. Boll made a good dark depressing film and his directing was very very good. Sadly, I didn't think the script was too good, and the acting was pretty bad, but it still made me feel like crap. And I'm pretty sure that was one of the purposes. 5.5/10
½ January 30, 2011
It's a damn shame when the most maligned film director of the decade is the only one in cinema who has the balls to make a film with mainstream appeal about the genocide in Sudan. And it's a great film I rank alongside "Sometimes in April" for its accuracy.
½ January 16, 2011
Brutal, unflinching but ultimately overwrought, the people of Darfur deserve better than this melodramatic mistake. With cinematography from the Blair Witch school of jerky handheld cameras, this film is really a disappointment.
January 12, 2011
50% of the movie is just a ruthless slaughter of an african village the murders just get more and more violent for about a 45 minute time period and its not a happy ending. Don't watch it unless you want to feel like garbage.
January 7, 2011
Dafur, named so after the witty one liner in the film where the elder of the village tells the thieves, rapists, terrorists, murderers or plainly ' the bad guys ' he was going to turn his village into an independent country called "Dafur" before taking an AK-47 clip to the chest. This is one of the latest features by the infamous director Uwe Boll who was actually on set filming Dafur when he got another award for being the worst director of 2009 by the Razies. A shame really because everything this guy has done for the past few years has made me blow a gasket in my pants, unfortunately for him it is almost impossible in this world to change a bad first impression in people's minds.

The movie is about a group of news reporters, who go to Sudan to get some footage and stories of the natives while being accompanied by a couple of Nigerian troopers, after hearing about all the bad times for the populace there they decide to leave. When they see a gang of about thirty thugs heading to the village to commit murder they decide to turn back in hope they will leave ' Dafur ' alone because of the presence of the media, unfortunately they don't give a crap...

There is no main character as such in the film, they are all equal which is great as its different and doesn't outline anyone as being safe of certain to die giving it more suspense and freedom of choice for who you select as your favourite. This has to be one of the most barbaric and gruesome things I have seen in some time, the viewer gets the privilege of being able to see babies impaled on stakes, head shots on children and stupid amounts of rape. All this comes with the statement of something needs to be done in Sudan as the movie suggests in its credits. The acting was very realistic even by all the natives that only had small parts in the interviews, the actor Edward Furlong appeared in the feature who has also been in Uwe Boll's "Stoic" which is as equally if not possibly a better movie which was in 2009; he is also known as playing the young John Connor in Terminator two. Another thing that springs to mind when watching Dafur is "Cannibal Holocaust", not only did it have a have a very similar story line but also I was puzzled how Boll managed to afford and get so many fake bodies to the setting of the film with such a small budget for scene when they all get burned.
January 2, 2011
Western journalists with noble intentions and underequipped African Union Peacekeeprs struggle to save a village in Darfur from the merceless Janjaweed.

Holy Hell. With all Holywoods talk of being socially responsablly, speaking truth to power and raising awarness on important issues it fell to Uwe Boll to make the first feature film dealing with the ongoing genocide in Darfur. Boll best known for his adaptation of video games to film, and modern day exploitation film (as well as beating his critics in a boxing match) has managed to make a film that brings the horrors of Darfur home (do not watch this if you are squeimish as Boll's camera does not flinch from scenes of gang rape or baby killing). Leaves you feeling empty after witnessing these assorted horrors, (trivia time most of the extras where actual refugees from Darfur, Boll did not give them a script, instead let them tell there own stories). I'd recommend it just don'texpect a good time. So...Uwe Boll good on you to bad this won't get a wider release...and yeah fuck Hollywood hypocrites.
½ December 31, 2010
Nowhere near as powerful as it thinks it is.