The Darjeeling Limited - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Darjeeling Limited Reviews

½ June 4, 2015
One of Wes Anderson's more dry films. The characters are enjoyably eccentric as usual, but the plot is surprisingly more simple and straightforward than his others. I'd also argue that this is his most "down to earth" film. While I did enjoy it, It didn't fill me with the same joy and happiness some of his other films have done, and I did find myself becoming a bit bored throughout. Worth a watch for Anderson fans.
May 25, 2015
This was the first film Wes Anderson made that really worked for me. All of his normal eccentricities are in place, but there is a great deal going on in this sort of road movie on rails. Three brothers try to sort through their messy lives and pull themselves through out of the grief of losing their father only to discover they've been trying to save each other from a shared grief for most of their lives.
May 13, 2015
Interesting in showing the relationship between brothers within the back drop of India. But not interesting enough to watch again.
½ May 8, 2015
Beautifully shot, but a weird film. Very slow , with flimsy plot.
½ May 8, 2015
Great movie. Anderson sets up another funny, smart, and emotional film with a great script, fantastic direction, and great performances from its three leads. The setting of India provides as a wonderful backdrop, and Anderson does a great job of using it in both a touristy way and a residential way.
½ May 4, 2015
I simply love the worlds Wes Anderson creates, and how specific he is about everyday moments.
½ April 28, 2015
Quirky, yet touching film about brothers bonding. What stands out is the beautiful and rich setting of the Indian country side. Not Wes Anderson's best movie but it is still good.
½ April 20, 2015
Loved it! beautiful colors and cinamatography. good acting. really interesting characters. very funny. smart movie. Thank you Wes Anderson for giving us another great comedy. :D

New Thoughts:
I love this movie. I think it's the most profound of Wes' films and terribly underrated. Super engaging and funny. Great music, as always. I like the mysteriousness about it and how you slowly put pieces together. It's kind of cathartic, isn't it? I love it.
½ April 17, 2015
Same director. No wonder the Hotel Budapest wasn't my cup of tea.
April 12, 2015
Not is best work, but Wes Anderson still give us a great trip to india !
½ April 4, 2015
this movie has got good character analysis
½ April 4, 2015
Grade: Safe but lower 5/10

The Darjeeling Limited is a comedy drama from acclaimed director and writer Wes Anderson about three brothers on a kind of spiritual journey through India on a train. I didn't enjoy it though and the lack of humour and real gripping story makes it rather passable in my opinion. It is overloaded with Andersons style and although he doesn't destroy it nor do a bad job, it just didn't work for me.

The story is just too unfunny, don't get me wrong a lot happens and it can be exciting in a sense with everything they do, but as I say no jokes, and if there is any, they just don't make sense or work. I think although the writing isn't funny, it could also be claimed the directing also fails in the humour side and even the actors involved seem like there not in a comedy movie.

The movie is strange, in a good way but in certain scenes it is over the top strange and makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. It could be said this is just quirky and I know for a fact that some people will love this in a kind of cult movie kind of way, but this just wasn't for me. I think again Anderson's style is just too much and because he uses his unique style, it feels wrong in this setting.

Although I may seem negative it isn't all bad and I mean that, one point that really stands out whilst watching is the camera work and although done like Anderson usually always does, it is beautifully shot by cinematographer Robert Yeoman. It also has wonderful sets and of course the train scenes are not only well shot, beautifully crafted looking wise too, the miniature house like style of the sets is one of the remaining features that stay with you afterwards.

Wes doesn't write it so well but he doesn't do a really bad bad job either here with the script working well for the more serious moments, but falling flat on the comedy side of things. The script is written by Anderson, Roman Coppola and Jason Schwartzman(who also stars as one of the brothers in the movie) and they all make a screenplay that doesn't balance out as I said, a bit more laughing kind of lines mixed with the emotional times would have made this much better.

The directing is also the same case as with the script with Anderson failing to balance the emotion and comedy well creating either awkward scenes or parts where your not sure if that was meant to be a joke or not. I think the main cat do that a lot with Owen Wilson feeling as if he is there to provide comic relief, but actually ending up probably the least funny of the three brothers and Adrien Brody although acts well, also comes up slightly short.

Overall I felt it to be a below par film and one that not only doesn't stand up on it's own feet, doesn't stack up well in the vast library of Wes Anderson movies either. I think as I said about the cult movie like feeling, many will and can enjoy it and parts can be interesting, and that's not to mention the absolutely beautiful setting of India also so all in all, enjoy the view definitely but really don't expect many laughs.
½ March 30, 2015
I'm just thinking about this movie tonight. It's the worst rated Wes Anderson movie but I think it may be one of the best.
½ March 23, 2015
My favorite Anderson film, but lovely in every way
½ March 23, 2015
not my fave or the best wes Anderson but still worth a look see
½ March 21, 2015
Adrien Brody again, and great cast. I like how Anderson uses colors in his movies like a painting. Every movie has a different color palette. Nice story :)
March 21, 2015
Strange movie, but I'm a sucker for anything related to India.
March 20, 2015
Let's go get a drink and smoke a cigarette.

After their father passes away, three brothers are duped by the oldest brother to get on a train and travel across India. The goal of the trip is to get closer and eventually reunite with their mother. The brothers make a lot of bad decisions on the trip to thwart their plan and eventually they are thrown off the train. Can the brothers find their mother and find a way home?

"Is our snake getting confiscated?"

Wes Anderson, director of Moonrise Kingdom, Fantastic Mr. Fox, The Royal Tennenbaums, Rushmore, Bottle Rocket, and The Grand Budapest Hotel, delivers The Darjeeling Limited. The storyline for this picture is interesting and well written. The characters are well portrayed and delivered and the movie unfolds well. The cast delivers solid performances and includes Owen Wilson, Adrien Wilson, Jason Schwartzman, Amara Karan, Bill Murray, and Irrfan Khan.

"I want this trip to be a spiritual journey."

I came across this on HBOGO and finally had to watch it. I had been meaning to see this for awhile and believe most Anderson films are very good. I'm not a huge Owen Wilson fan but his character fit this film perfectly. There are some cheesy sequences in here; but as an overall movie, this is very well executed. I strongly recommend giving this a viewing.

"I also lost a tooth."

Grade: B
March 14, 2015
A quiet, quirky, intriguing movie with a heart. You may be intrigued by the characters, but slowly they will grow on you, so that by the end they are endearing and enchanting.
Wes Andersons fingerprints are all over it. A companion piece to Royal Tannenbaums w elements from it, including themes of sibling interaction, family turmoil, privileged upbringing, and meandering motivations.
½ March 7, 2015
Although not my favorite film delivered by Wes Anderson, The Darjeeling Limited still holds lots of humor, heart, and excellent visuals